The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Prestige or The Illusionist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Just to making it interesting, I give 2 (two!) votes to the Prestige. C'mon, the only really inspiring moment of the Illusionist was the two sentence political speech the crown prince gives right before he ...(spoiler censored)... at the end of the movie.

AND I'm Austrian, which is why, in this context, my votes should count double anyways.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
noxas
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
121 Posts

Profile of noxas
THE ILLUSIONIST!... its awsome!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4493 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I watched "The Prestige" and "The Illusionist" in one entire setting. The Illusionist was way better then "The Prestige".

The Illusionist for me.
zachdotcom
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
58 Posts

Profile of zachdotcom
I think The Illusionist was more of a romantic movie about a magician and The Prestige was more of an exciting movie about magic and magicians. Not too comparable in my mind. But just to play along, I'll vote for The Prestige.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1312 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Prestige, hands down.
Sent from my Typewriter
Zeddicus
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Zeddicus
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 02:03, Katterfel22 wrote:
I read the book "The Prestige" long before I saw the movie. I liked the book but the film took away almost everything I liked about the original story.

I liked the movie better than the book, you know why? no reading, it only took two hours, and I got to take a nap afterwards. Smile

I thought the illusionist was way to predictable. I didn't find it very entertaining and I dozed off a couple of times. when I saw the prestige I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. never saw anything coming. and what better way for david bowie to enter than through a lightning storm. plus I can see my self watching th prestige again, couldn't catch all the subtle hints the first time. my vote goes to the prestige, if for no other reason than it has better rewatchability, and bowie.
Katterfel22
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, NC
130 Posts

Profile of Katterfel22
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 22:40, Zeddicus wrote:
I liked the movie better than the book, you know why? no reading, it only took two hours, and I got to take a nap afterwards. Smile

While I can understand that point of view, in this case it's not so much a matter of time as story content. The book "The Prestige" and movie of the same name barely resemble each other in storyline. If the movie had managed to follow the storyline of the book I would have liked it better than "the Illusionist".
Oddly enough, I liked the movie "Illusionist" better than the original short story it was based on.
Cave ab homine unius libri - Latin epigram
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
I own them both.. but Id have to go with the illusionist..
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Havebnt seen The Illusionist...but I just finished watching The Prestige and I am absolutely blown away. Loved it!
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Hard choice .. The Illusionist
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I didn't think there was much to choose between the two, overall. I didn't walk out of either thinking "Oscar!!" but I enjoyed both, about equally. Another magic-related movie that came out about the same time was Woody Allen's "Scoop," which I also enjoyed. "Magicians," while we're at it, is hilarious. Finally, for the suspense/thriller/horror fans, gotta love Anthony Hopkins in "Magic." Just thought I'd throw a few more into the mix!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Had trouble dealing with The Prestige. Liked The Illusionist a whole lot more.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-07-05 03:44, clynim wrote:
Had trouble dealing with The Prestige. ...

Good to have trouble with ideas. Are your hands dirty? How much are you willing to dirty your hands to make magic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I finally saw both.

I didn't care for the Prestige.
Of course the special effects were nice,
and I enjoyed seeing Ricky as usual.
And David Bowie as Tesla was quite interesting.
I don't like the idea of how they did
following history correctly.
If your going to peak a young persons
interest, at least follow a time line correctly.

Not that there's any truth, right? Smile

But the story was annoying, and I had trouble
following it. The trailer was better than the
the movie, in all honesty. I mean, it seemed
more magical. But then that's what you get when
the guy who directs it and the co-lead actor were
also part of Batman.

Um, Batman definitely over Prestige.

However, the Illusionist was mucho better.
It would have great if Phillip Glass didn't write the
score.

In fact, the score made the movie worse.

If the they had someone like Rachel Portman, or even Me,
write the score, the movie would have 10x better.
But with Phillip Glass, the movie went down the toilet.

It was boring, annoying and monontone, and sounds like
every Glass score I heard before...really resembled his
awful 'Beauty & the Beast' french version score.

ick, pewwy.

I did thing the acting and story line was better.

Loved the ending.

Hated the music.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I couldn't watch the Illusionist.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Why?

www.mai-ling.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I was bored to tears.

I think the beginning really ticked me off. Nice a floating card, oh wow nice trick, then BAM CGI, it annoyed me to no end. I think it annoyed me too much.

Mind you the Prestige had all that revenge in it. I am kind of a revenge guy which may be why I like Batman so much even at 40. I can get into a testoserone driven revenge snuff film, which when you break it down is all the prestige was anyhow!

Mind you the end and what happened and relating it to "getting his hands dirty" with the doves was a bit far streatched for me, but still I could at least follow it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-07-08 01:12, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think the beginning really ticked me off. Nice a floating card, oh wow nice trick, then BAM CGI, it annoyed me to no end. I think it annoyed me too much.

I agree with Danny on this point. I saw both movies, and didn't particularly care for the Illusionist, this was the first part of the movie that ticked me off. I found the plot rather pedestrian. As has already been said, the Illusionist is a love story. Beyond that, it's a story about lovers in different social classes. The magician could have easily been a musician with little plot change.

The Prestige, however, was a very exciting movie with the highs and lows placed at adequate intervals. I was a little confused at times with how the time kept shifting, and only later on was able to understand the frame better because of the pronounced limp Hugh Jackman had.

All things considered though, I enjoyed the Prestige as a cinematic achievement.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21005 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well a snuff film with a story line, I may not go as far as a cinematic achievemnt.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

I LOVE BATMAN...

What I liked about the Illusionist was the story
and the way it was filmed...

The illusionist didn't go alone with just special
effects, it helps the story line but it didn't
depend on it like the prestige did in some ways.

The only downfall with the illusionist was the
music. Phillip Glass' score made the move suk azz.

www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Prestige or The Illusionist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL