The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Justification for packet tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
I don't remove the cards from a wallet in front of the spectators. That way I'm not drawing attention to the cards from the start.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I too use Queens Out Of Control and I think this is a perfect example of where cards NEED to be taken from a (quality) wallet. "For years I've been saving a particular card and these are my favourites......and they all revert back to the colours of the decks that they came from..."

Eight Card Brainwave is another that I keep in a compartment of my wallet, because, "many people say that I'm not playing with a full deck, and here's the proof..."

and, of course, you can make up your own deck to look like 52/53/54 normal cards but secretly hide packet tricks and just remove them when you need them! I used to carry one around that had Double Back, Ultimate Three Card Monte, Bizare Twist and a couple more - (posted on it some time ago) But one thing's for certain, I've never had any hang up over removing a few cards from a wallet and getting on with it. Esp QOOC which you can leave on the table for examination and walk away!
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
I'm trying TOM-Foo;ery transposition as a new pocket effect. I wonder in anyone uses it? and what do you think ?
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Hmm I use no justifcation. never once been questioned. most simple method iv found. just be caual about it
Eric Fry
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Eric Fry
I understand people saying "Don't worry about it." But it seems to me that we want people to believe we do our magic with ordinary articles, not something we bought in a magic shop. Pulling a few cards out of a little wallet smacks of advertising the specialness of the cards. I always take the cards for packet tricks from a deck.

Now, I know I'm not being fully consistent in my reasoning. We usually use our own decks, so in theory those could be faked just as much as any packet of cards could be. Still, there's something glaring about pulling out a set of special cards.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You can also use this approach:

"This time instead of using a whole deck, which I know can be confusing - heck, sometimes even _I_ have trouble following what's going on! - let's try a trick using only a few cards. Now pay close attention and watch as..."

This makes it seem like you're trying to help them figure out what's going on by using fewer cards. I'll sometimes use this approach if I've just done a trick that used a full deck and a couple of fancy-looking moves. This works best, of course, with a packet trick that uses a small number of cards along with slow and deliberate moves that are pointed out as the trick progresses.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
As you can tell above, this give a very good transition on why you are placing the old deck away and pressing on. Then you can SWITCH decks once done with the packet trick.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
If 52 cards are too hard to follow, let's just use these... (carry on)

Charles
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
Come up with an interesting story to enhance the effect and performance.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I just say that this one uses X cards, and if questioned, pull out something like

-I can't count higher than X
-that's what magician do, use x cards sometimes
-anybody can bamboozle you with 52 cards, but how about x?
-because these are my favourites. None of those shifty, no-good sixes
-because x is my lucky number
-I had time to mark only x cards
-due to the physics involved, the second law of thermodynamics and Bernoulli''s principle, this can only be done safely with x cards. Any more and there might be a fire
-the voices in my head said to use X cards, and they'll be mad if I disobey
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
ccccchunt
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of ccccchunt
Just pull them out of the wallet and do not make a big deal about it. If you do not act as if it is important, your spec will not either.

Also, I never start with a packet trick. Always perform some other card magic so the specs are comfortable with you. Most of the specs know that they are obviously trick cards in the wallet. They trick is to get them listening and liking you beforehand so they don't really care. All they want is to be entertained and really do not care if they are trick cards or not - then you can blow them away.

Another little trick I do is keep a little wallet with normal cards inside. Take it out and do a nice Jermay poker deal. By using the normal cards inside the wallet, the specs will be none the wiser when you pull out your Twisted Sisters later.

Chris
chr!s
View Profile
Regular user
newcastle
163 Posts

Profile of chr!s
'hey,would you like to see a QUICK trick?'
sure.
'excellent,because all I have is x cards!'.
that would be my line if I really thought I needed one.as it is,i too just take the packet out of a small black wallet and proceed.often,i will actually keep them in a himber wallet with 'matching' regular cards in the other side.just incase somebody gets wise when I wallet the packet and wants to inspect.
just a little tip.
chr!s
"you can't see your own rub-a-dub..."
-richard sanders
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I've never been questioned on using a packet trick either. But I almost never use a packet trick if I am going to do some card tricks using a full deck either. Maybe that is the reason.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
No need to openly justify... Also, most of the time the patter or the effect itself will implicitly state the reason for separate cards. If the cards look like normal cards, just add them to your deck.

If it's something like Maven/Goldstein's B'Wav... once the effect is over and they see three blank cards, it's pretty clear why you used separate cards.

I think we just need to remember Baker and his lovely quote "Don't run if they're not chasing you."
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Ok, for example.. IMHO, Hold it buster's patter leads perfectly for putting the cards away.
"and I should hve known better because my father neer did play with a full deck"
So let's try somethin with a real deck.

Daryl patter how it takes many years to master a deck of playing cards.
the key is to start out small. In fact, when I first use to perform, I use to perform with only X cards.
To me this leads in perfectly to pulling out ANY packet effect .
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
You always need a good reason, if you take out your packet out of a special folder/envelope etc - especially, when you have a full deck of cards in front of you . . .
Cards never lie
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
I like JSBLOOM use packet tricks between full deck tricks as a means of switching decks.I start of with a full deck and open with Nick Trosts observation test on completion I offer the deck to be shuffled and examined.Once you've allowed the spectators to do this they'll not ask again.I then do some impromptu full deck stuff before bringing out some packet tricks or close up items.You can then switch decks for a stacked deck or gaffed deck ,whichever you prefer.I usually wrap the deck with a rubber band and the switched deck is wrapped the same.Simon Lovell has some nice ideas on deck switch subtleties in his book I'm still tapping.I too believe you should just get the packet tricks out and perform with them cos the audience will just want to be entertained.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Quote:
On 2007-07-27 19:43, Andy the cardician wrote:
You always need a good reason, if you take out your packet out of a special folder/envelope etc - especially, when you have a full deck of cards in front of you . . .

I don't see why, the most I would say-if I felt the need- "Here is something were we use just a few cards."

Gil Scott
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 16:13, airship wrote:
Just surreptitiously stack them on the deck and peel them off when needed.

I sometimes use the old line, "I'm not allowed to play with a full deck yet."

Or just pull them out and start the trick. People really don't seem to notice.

Problem is some people think the entire deck is probably a trick deck anyway, so pulling cards off of it would not allay their suspicion...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I pull the cards out of the box, fan them, and proclaim the deck to be light by a few cards. I say well I guess I could show you a trick that doesn't require a full deck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Justification for packet tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL