The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 3-way tie on jeopardy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
POOF!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Scott was a total idiot. I was saying "Why did he do that? Why wouldn't he bet the extra dollar?" Turns out he thought it would be cute if there were a 3-way tie.

That was a very stupid thing to do on his part. He lost the next game and cost himslef who knows how much money. Idiot.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2136 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I guess he'd rather go down in history as one of the people in Jeopardy's first 3-way tie than as the guy who was almost in one. Even without betting the extra dollar, he still went on to the next episode, and there's no guarantee that he would've continued his winning streak against 2 different contestants.

Overall, he's probably pretty happy with what he did win, and even happier that he's part of that bit of Jeopardy history, a thing that no amount of money can buy.
Kevin Reylek
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 00:24, Mercury52 wrote:
I guess he'd rather go down in history as one of the people in Jeopardy's first 3-way tie than as the guy who was almost in one.

Overall, he's probably pretty happy with what he did win, and even happier that he's part of that bit of Jeopardy history, a thing that no amount of money can buy.

Most people wouldn't buy it if they could. Many, many people have had the chance to make a wager that would have caused a three way tie. They just never made that wager becuase, well it's not very smart. It's not easy to get on Jeopardy and it's even harder to win. And once you lose you can never be on the show again. (Unless you get on the Tournamant of Champions.) It's also expensive if you don't live in LA. I promise you, most people wouldn't throw that away on a silly 3-way tie. And James, who should have been gone, won again yesterday.

That's kind of a dubious bit of history. I think most people would like to make history the way Ken Jennings did, not the way Scott did.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Ok, how many people here, like me, didn't have a clue to what the answer was until the end? I'm also embarresed to admit that even when they told her name I still didn't know who she was until Alex said the name of the person she is often associated with.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Was the playoff something other than a whole new game between the same people?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 14:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:

No, they all came back and played a new game. I don't think it was even a playoff per se. They all came back as "Returning Champions". I think they each got the money from the first game and just played another one. The return match was a really good game too. I believe both Scott (the guy who would have won the first game) and Anders missed the Final Jeopardy question. It was a no brainer, but they thought about it.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
The Final Jeopardy answer had me stumped, but the question made perfect sense! I knew immediately who Bonnie Parker was. Given that my first name is Clyde, guess what the big joke was to rattle my cage while in grade school?

I'm glad to see that they all got to keep their winnings. Doing the three way tie was great. Just one of them betting $0.00 would have thrown the whole thing off.

As for Jennings, I remember "What's a ho" for some sort of adult answer. Trebeck's response? "Is that what they're teaching you in Utah?" Just go to the above link and some of the other jeopardy moments will show up in little windows.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 14:23, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 14:15, LobowolfXXX wrote:

No, they all came back and played a new game. I don't think it was even a playoff per se. They all came back as "Returning Champions". I think they each got the money from the first game and just played another one. The return match was a really good game too. I believe both Scott (the guy who would have won the first game) and Anders missed the Final Jeopardy question. It was a no brainer, but they thought about it.

So if it was just that they all came back for a new game, why was it "stupid" for him to play for the tie? He either gets the money and comes back against the same two people, or he gets the money and comes back against two random people. Unless you think that the opponents in the initial game were so much better than the average player that it was blatantly wrong to risk facing them again.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 01:38, LobowolfXXX wrote:
So if it was just that they all came back for a new game, why was it "stupid" for him to play for the tie? He either gets the money and comes back against the same two people, or he gets the money and comes back against two random people. Unless you think that the opponents in the initial game were so much better than the average player that it was blatantly wrong to risk facing them again.

I do think they were good opponents, better than average. Scott was better that day, but they were both good players. Also, if Scott had made a better bet, he could have not only won, but won more money that day.

I also don't believe in tempting fate. I'm not a big fan of cutsie-utsey BS. I say if you have your opponent down, you finish him off. Obviously Scott dosen't care. But I would never play a game within a game, or purposely cause a tie when I could win the game. If I got on the show and got on a roll, I would never screw with it. You gotta respect a roll.

As I said, it's not that big a deal. Dozens, if not hundreds, of people have had that same opportunity to try and create a 3-way tie. They didn't do it. Believe me, it's not just me.

It also offends my sensibilities as a gambler, a person that likes to compete, and a long time Jeopardy fan. That kind of pansy-ass attitude just makes me sick. If you don't want to win the game, don't play the game. Go play "Wheel of Foutune", or "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 3-way tie on jeopardy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL