The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Back to the secret. Opinions please. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks everyone for the heads up about the movie "The Secret" I can always count on solid answers here on the Café.

Now I'd like to ask your opinions on this: Putting mans' "power" on a scale of one to ten, where would you rate us?

I'll clarify "power": The ability to influence our circumstances; The godlike power to alter them and call desired things into being; the power to prosper and rise from low circumstances to wealth.

On the scale, the people who promote the "Secret" have us at a ten. Through "magical" visualization and thinking right thoughts, they imply that we can have anything our heart desires, and the universe is one big slot machine to which we have the winning combination. Nothing can stand in the way of our invincible mind.

On the OTHER low end of the scale, we are placed at the whim or mercy of the Universe, powerless, and hapless victims of any wind of adversity that blows into our miserable, puny lives, quivering, quaking balls of fear who have to accept the crumbs as they fall.

Where would you place us on the scale? Perhaps in the middle at a five?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 22:02, daffydoug wrote:...I'll clarify "power": The ability to influence our circumstances; The godlike power to alter them and call desired things into being; the power to prosper and rise from low circumstances to wealth...

Clarification means to make clear, not to create turbulence in the flow of meaning by confounding senses of a word.

You might want to look up "well formed" or "meta-model" before you push desires out into the world.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I agree with Jonathan on this one.

I can't tell what you are asking or looking for. But I am very tired.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2441 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I have found the secret of life - the answer to any question like "what is the truth about [fill in the blank]."

It's not "either/or". It's "both/and", and most often it's a whole variety of views - like various cartographic projections of the earth, every 'map of reality' has different mostly-true things to reveal about any issue.

And, as F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote, "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
P.T. Barnum was right.
POOF!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I agree with Josh and Jonathan. And I am also tired...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I need to rate us fairly close to zero. We have developed the technology to protect ourselves from much of the fury of nature, but not all. We have no ability to stop a tornado, we only have the ability to build a shelter to hide in till it is gone.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
David Hannum, his competitor was the one who actually said, "There's a sucker born every minute." Barnum saying that himself would've been like Gandhi calling himself "Mahatma", a title which embarrassed him deeply. P.T. Barnum, for all his humbugs, respected his audiences too much to level such an insult at them.

Getting back to The Secret, and apropos to Fitzgerald's quote, Samuel Beckett stated that idea this way; "I can't go on. I'll go on". When you're knees and knuckles in the slime and have no hope left, it's that tiny glimmer that still burns somewhere deep within and drives you on. The Secret tends to blame the person who made the thought if it isn't manifested. It's much more productive to take action than wish and pull the sheets over your head.

Man's power is as high or as low as he believes it to be; either way, for his particular case, he's right. I'm speaking of his ability to change himself, though, not have power over nature such as, as just mentioned, stopping a tornado.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Folksingmagic,

Curiously, you knew what I implied - Notwithstanding historical references or inaccuracies. Somehow, I doubt that P.T. would have taken offense to the publicity.

Kregg
POOF!
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I always thought magicians were above being conned. Since we are con artists, we should recognize a con when we see it.

I lie for a living, but I am honest enough to tell you.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I think many people have such a deep life-long wish for the "Answer" that will turn their lives into what they read in books, see in the movies or watch on TV where as an added bonus to the Great Life, everyone says the right thing and does the right thing at the right time (good screenwriting) that they're willing to put at least a temporary belief (until they realize it's misplaced) in things that they know are absurd. But, gee, if it IS true...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Back to the secret. Opinions please. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL