The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jay Marshall Collection at Auction (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gfajuri
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of gfajuri
Dear Café Members,

I'm thrilled to announce that on the morning of May 5th, 2007, a selection of choice material from the magic collection of Jay Marshall will be offered for sale at public auction. Books, ephemera, apparatus, posters and Houdiniana will be included in the sale.

The auction will take place at the Hyatt Regency Woodfield Hotel, Schaumburg, Illinois, and will coincide with the 2007 Magic Collectors' Weekend. Registrations for the Weekend are going quickly. Click here to check the updated convention page: http://www.squashpublications.com/MCA2007.html

An illustrated catalog is in active preparation, and is available for download now, at http://www.squashpublications.com/PD210.html

Hard copies will be available for purchase on approximately April 1st, and contain images and information (including an essay about Jay Marshall) not available in the download version. MCA Weekend registrants will receive a complimentary copy of the catalog.

Be sure to check http://www.squashpublishing.com regularly for more information and updates.

Inquiries can be directed to:

Gabe Fajuri
Squash Publishing
2903 N. Richmond
Chicago, IL 60618
gfajuri@ameritech.net

or

David Meyer
Meyerbooks
PO Box 427
Glenwood, IL 60425
meyerbooks@sbcglobal.net

Best Regards,

Gabe Fajuri
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
WOW...what a collection! Perfect timing for the auction...MCA weekend! Should be a good time.
Best Wishes,
James
gfajuri
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of gfajuri
FYI, you do not have to attend the convention to attend the auction.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Gabe:

Thanks for posting the catalog. I definitely have a couple of "target" items among those things!

But I'd rather have Jay with us than have us auctioning off his collection. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Just now pouring thru the .pdf catalog. I'm almost speechless.

My gawdz... I was born too late. How much of this stuff was overlooked as junk and ephemera. And now it's way too late to get into the collecting game.

...all the stuff Jay must have acquired, looked at, and then quietly squirreled away never to be seen again until after his death. The storefront of Magic Inc. never told even a fraction of the whole story.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Jay had a lot of items in his store. I just wish I knew him.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Quote:
"And now it's way too late to get into the collecting game."

It's never too late. There are tons of things to collect that don't cost much. Even a kid with only paper route money could build a nice little collection in a few years.

Don't lose hope, Gaddy!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
True enough, I guess...

old posters are pretty much out, though.
Brass apparatus are out too...

I've got a small collection of old palming coins, but I just lost a few auctions on ebay for some (go figure) Magic Inc. and Hardeen palming coins. So I guess that market is moving out of my grasp too.
I'm also collecting magician's calling cards too. Modern ones are not hard to find, but just TRY getting some of the old stars of magic- $$$

thanks,
G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Gaddy, I don't know what your budget is like, but I do know where you can get ahold of some Thurston "scaling cards" (souvenir cards he used to scale out to the audience at his shows) that might make a nice fit with your calling card collection.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 22:57, Clay Shevlin wrote:
Quote:
"And now it's way too late to get into the collecting game."

It's never too late. There are tons of things to collect that don't cost much. Even a kid with only paper route money could build a nice little collection in a few years.

Don't lose hope, Gaddy!

Can you provide some links or items (not trying to be sarcastic I really want to know!)? I have wanted a Houdini autograph for a long time, but from what I have seen they start at $500. Same goes for a lot of the other items from well know magicians. Anything brass made or of hand made origin are usually expensive as well. Sure they are still obtainable and not out of the realm of possibility, but I think what he was getting at was that a lot of things you probably could have picked up at yard sales for next to nothing.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Just picked up an autographed Blackstone Sr Poster(signed) for $108.00...great value...although not yard sale price...great deal. Magician programs are great to collect...about 10-15 bucks per copy.
Best Wishes,
James
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want an item that is still not too expensive to collect, try paddles. You can build a fairly comprehensive collection of paddles for a couple of hundred bucks.

And there's another one that will only cost you a few bucks -- collect the autographs of magicians you meet at club meetings and conventions. I started doing this back in 1960. Now, I have about 450 of them.

Willard the Wizard
Don Lawton
Chanin
Bobo
Billy McComb
Tommy Wonder

And these are just a few off the top of my head.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 19:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you want an item that is still not too expensive to collect, try paddles. You can build a fairly comprehensive collection of paddles for a couple of hundred bucks.

And there's another one that will only cost you a few bucks -- collect the autographs of magicians you meet at club meetings and conventions. I started doing this back in 1960. Now, I have about 450 of them.

Willard the Wizard
Don Lawton
Chanin
Bobo
Billy McComb
Tommy Wonder

Great ideas Bill, thanks! I missed the auction, looks like a very nice collection he had.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Banester:

No harm in asking! A few folks have suggested a couple of things.

Sitting in front of me is a box that an old-time collector gave me: the box contains a couple hundred of magic-related mailing labels! From Magic, Inc. to Mario Carrandi to Venture III to Mike O’Dowd! Got to admit that I would not have thought of this, but taken as a whole, the collection is kind of cool, as it shows tons of magical artwork, interesting typography, etc. Is this collection worth a bunch of money? Nope. But it’s cheap to collect!

Here are some other ideas:

– magic club newsletters
– publications by anonymous authors
– convention programs
– publicity photographs and other magicians’ advertising materials
– publicity photographs and other advertising materials for a specific magician
– bookplates
– advertising materials for child magicians
– magic-themed ads
– thumb tips
– mass-produced, “cheap” apparatus like Adams’ stuff
– business cards
– letterheads
– magic-related articles in general circulation publications
– books written specifically for children (how-to books, biographies, etc.)
– biographies of Houdini
– magic fiction (stories which feature magic or magicians as a dominant theme)
– “pulp” pamphlets (produced on cheap paper and common from the 1890s to the 1940s
– magic-related movies and magic shows featured on TV (start your taping now!)
– books by a prolific author (Hoffmann, Goldston, Gibson, etc.)
– magic books in a certain non-English language (French, German, etc.) or in a particularly “exotic” language (Japanese, Russian, etc.)
– books produced in a specific era or decade
– gimmicked cards and/or decks (e.g., Svengali decks)
– instruction sheets for tricks
– dealer catalogs
– everyday items with a magic theme (dress ties, ashtrays, mugs, etc.)
– souvenirs from The Magic Castle or The Magic Circle
– items given to you by friends who know of your interest in magic
– so-called “wee” magic books (in fact, a friend of mine recently published a checklist of such publications, all of which were approximately the size of a large playing card or smaller; he listed over 700!)

Now, admittedly, in many of the areas suggested above, some items could be expensive, but you could build a very nice collection in any event without buying such pricey items.

Which leads me to the idea that I like the most for someone on a strict budget: you could build a collection of magic, each item in it costing less than, say, $10 (or, you could set a monthly budget, and buy only one item each month that fit within the budget).

Wish I had time for more, but gotta run!

Happy collecting!

Clay

P.S. BE CREATIVE! Note that you could take some of the ideas noted above and combine them or set multiple criteria to make even more specialized areas. CHS
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-03-24 06:40, Candini wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 19:03, Bill Palmer wrote:

Willard the Wizard
Don Lawton
Chanin
Bobo
Billy McComb
Tommy Wonder

Great ideas Bill, thanks! I missed the auction, looks like a very nice collection he had.

The auction is May 5. You still have time to register and everything.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Chris was supposed to send me a photo of something.
I'm going to look at the catalog to see if its in.

can't wait gabe!!
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I'd love to have any of those things!

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Eternal Order
24223 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Regarding calling cards of famous magicians -- sometimes a magician is better known to historians than he is to the rest of the world. I recently purchased a calling card from Professor Herwin. Most people don't know the name. His real name was William Humpage.

He was the inventor of the thumb tip. Hartz was credited with this in the Hoffman books, but later, deVere proved this was wrong.

I got it for $9.95 on eBay.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Great find Bill! I think half the game is knowing who is who. I have picked up some things off e-bay that have been pretty cheap, the whole time I am nervous someone else is going to notice the item and we begin a bidding war.

Clay Shevlin, thanks for the information some great suggestions! I have been looking for apparatus things lately such as morrissey items or hand crafted items.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Bill is right about magic collecting.
some magicians and things (or in any area of collecting)
are only known to those in that area of interest.

And only important to those who seek certain items.

Its only worthy price wise for personl self and interest.
People often times get greedy with items because of the
name associated with the piece or because it can fetch a
lot of money.

Something that has houdini, dante or blackstone history
attached will only mean something to someone who cares.

The general world doesn't care. They don't know and will
shrug their shoulder to it.

While looking through the catalog there was only one item I
was looking for and I could not find it. So I'm seeking
other ways of pertaining at least one part of it. Its not
having to do with history but my part in that history.

Otherwsie I got over excited when I saw a Hirschfield.
Then I looked closer and I became dissapointed.

Of all the worldly materialistic items that are available
at the auction...no one can buy the memories I have of the man!
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Jay Marshall Collection at Auction (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL