The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bright Ideas - Christopher Williams DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 17:15, Mike Doogan wrote:
Chris

Having watched the DVD through I must say I like your approach to magic in that you focus on generating a good rapport with the audience before you fool their pants off.

The girl at the start said he definately wasn't going to get her pants off!:-)

There are some very strong effects on here! Personally they are a little long for me, as I work at quite a pace, but some great stuff, I particularly liked the Ace cutting routine.

Well done Chris.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Now available from myself at http://www.magicman13.co.uk

Thanks

Look forward to some reviews and opinions soon!!!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-03-29 17:15, Mike Doogan wrote:
Chris

Having watched the DVD through I must say I like your approach to magic in that you focus on generating a good rapport with the audience before you fool their pants off. This approach means they love (rather than hate) you for fooling them. A lesson many modern, young magicians should take note of.

One question though. Your performance style reminds me of Martin Sanderson when he works. This is in no way a bad thing or a criticism as Martin is a fantastic performer and person. I wondered if you have spent time with him and picked up some of his mannerisms along the way?

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike. However, I have never met Martin Sanderson, so couldn't actually know what or if I have any similar or in common mannerisms to Martin.
My natural approach is to get them to like me. I don't want a spectator think I am trying to catch them out, or try and show in any way I am better than them, that is the wrong thing to do. Having read through several great books dealing on issues with spectators, I find you have to show them that you want them to enjoy the magic, and enjoy that moment of being fooled, rather than creating a moment of 'Ha ha I fooled you'...

On a side note, as this is my first DVD, I would love some feedback from anyone who has this, what their honest opinions are Smile

Thanks guys...enjoy
www.magicman13.co.uk

Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1865 Posts

Profile of Daren
I thought it was a very good dvd, I particularly liked queens transpo, the cutting aces, and ungaffed entourage

The only negative side of the dvd I could say was that when I was watching the performances I felt that it was slightly rushed, I feel to increase the impact of the magic on the spectators mind you have to go slowly so they fully understand what is about to happen

other than that I have used queens transpo, cutting the aces and ungaffed entourage to a very good reaction
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
Quote:
On 2007-04-06 03:35, Daren wrote:
I thought it was a very good dvd, I particularly liked queens transpo, the cutting aces, and ungaffed entourage

The only negative side of the dvd I could say was that when I was watching the performances I felt that it was slightly rushed, I feel to increase the impact of the magic on the spectators mind you have to go slowly so they fully understand what is about to happen

other than that I have used queens transpo, cutting the aces and ungaffed entourage to a very good reaction

Maybe when you are performing, I perform at a quicker pace than Chris and it works for me, and it obviously works for Chris.

I have had spectators say to me they have seen other Magicians work and they feel that they are never going to get to the end of a trick.

In these MTV sound bite day's people 's attention spans can be a lot shorter.

I also learnt to perform working every week at TGI Fridays and if you don't hit them fast and hard there by the time you have got to the climax of a trick the food is on the table.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Hi Daren, when the DVD is shot, remember that it is not a paid gig I am performing at, it is going around to different places, seeing if they would let us film, and then finding people who didn't mind A) Watching some Magic, and B) Letting us film them. You can make the routines slower, quicker, longer, shorter etc to your wishes. As it wasn't a professional gig, it was just me performing a few tricks at different places. I don't use all ten of these routines at each table, perhaps only one or two at each gig I do, as I have other routines that I would keep to myself, or that involve coins which wouldn't go with the theme of the DVD. Thanks for the comments though
www.magicman13.co.uk

Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1865 Posts

Profile of Daren
I understand where you are coming from, don't get me wrong my performances are not slow, but when it comes to the climax of the trick I think you should slow down so the effect of what is about to happen can register in their minds, I think darwin ortiz may of wrote of something similar

very good dvd though Chris
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Daren, Johnny Ace Palmer has some excellent thoughts on this treatment of the climax, too, btw.

Christopher, the DVD looks great, may well check it out very soon. Just wondering, is 'Guiltless Aces' a reference to David Regal's 'Deep Guilt Aces'? Good luck with this project and all future endeavours!

Cheers,

Chris
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Hi Chris, it's only reference to David's effect is the clean look in the way you cut to the Aces. The method is completely different to David's effect, and can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck
www.magicman13.co.uk

ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Yep, that's what I thought; nice name for it!

Cheers,

Chris
nikyas
View Profile
Loyal user
Kuala Lumpur
207 Posts

Profile of nikyas
This is a great dvd,i got mine 2 days ago. I can say with confidence that this will be 1 of the best dvd this year!I will post a proper review soon
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Thanks Nikyas, very kind of you to say so. I look forward to your review with anticipation
www.magicman13.co.uk

nikyas
View Profile
Loyal user
Kuala Lumpur
207 Posts

Profile of nikyas
The Effect
Bright ideas by Christopher Williams
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/acatalog/Hot_List_2.html#a1803 or http://www.magicman13.co.uk

Bright Ideas is a collection of killer commercial card effects. On this DVD you will see Christopher Williams performing the effects in a live situation and get some spectacular reactions with some stunning visual card Magic.

All these routines come straight from Christopher’s working repertoire and have been streamlined to work in almost any performing environment. After seeing a live performance each effect is then individually broken down and explained in full detail in the studio including all the necessary sleights and subtleties that have been developed through countless performances.

Cost

Price: £24.99

Difficulty

3-4
(1=easy to do, 2=No sleights, but not so easy, 3=Some sleights used,
4=Advanced sleights used, 5=Suitable for experienced magicians only)

Review

Guiltless Aces- From a borrowed, shuffled deck, the Aces are found with just a simple cut. Each phase gets better than the preceding phase with a killer kicker ending! Based on Michael Paul's Spectator Cut to Aces Routine. The best trick on the DVD in my opinion.

Queens Transpo- A selected card changed into 4 queens in the spectator's hand. If you like James Brown's Diminishing Switch, you will love this. A simple but strong magic effect. You have to hear the spectator's comment at the end of this! Hilarious!

Oil & Hot Water - I never like Oil & Water trick but this one suprised me. It is simple and easy to follow, with a kicker ending. This is the only trick in the dvd that requires a gimmick card. However, if you opt not to do the kicker ending, you can do it with a borrowed deck.

Un-gaffed Entourage - Chris's handling of Gordon Bean's Entourage, using a borrowed deck. A very Clever method and a very strong routine. There is also a kicker ending where the named Queen changes to an Ace, ending up with all Aces on the table.

Thought of Cards Across- I like David Blaine's Strange Traveller very much, but it uses gimmicked cards. Then James Brown came out with Brainless Traveller which is great! Chris came out with a method which is better in terms that there is no switch involved, and can be done all in the hands.

Chris's CTP is good for laymen but pretty obvious for magician in my opinion. Then there's Collectors/Triumph Routine, which is good judging from the spectator reaction but doesn't suit my taste. My least favourite trick would be Sightseer. I just don't like the handling of the trick and for me the trick doesn't make sense.

Chris's teaching method is great. He goes into every little detail. The DVD is well produced with great lighting and clear sound.

Overall

Well produced DVD, great tricks with simple handlings
9/10
Kip Stevens
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kip Stevens
Hooooooooooly Shazpasta!!!

Chris, you're a NATURAL teacher!!!

You know EXACTLY which points to mention and which to leave out to make learning easy. I learnt the Gary Kurtz tenkai palm move off YOU, I couldn't fathom what Gary was on about in his vid!!

In fact I'd go as far as saying the clarity of your teching is BETTER than Mike Ammar who I consider the BEST magic teacher in the world at the moment.

We've seen you shoot some card stuff, let's see what else ya got to teach!!!

From your NEWEST fan!!!

Kip
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
LOL Kip your posts are a riot! Love it! Please do keep it up! Makes coming to the Café worthwile!

Nikyas, thanks for the review, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Many thanks Nikyas for your great review! The Ace cutting routine, although I have read Michael Paul's version, was not created after reading that. I have been performing my Ace cutting routine now for about 5-6 years. It was one of my first creations, and fools Magicians and laymen. It is based on Paul Gordon and Ed Marlo work, however I credit Michael Paul as I liked his work on the effect.
Queens Transpo was created by English Magician Dave Carre, although I accidentally credit my friend John Carey as I had to credit him for another effect. Dave created it about 30 years ago, maybe longer. Gary Jones then showed me his effect called No Sleep about 5 years ago, and then I created this. James's handling, although nice, I am not to keen on, and he credits the wrong people for this. The two reasons I put it on there, is A) It is one of my all time favourite effects to perform. Impromptu, borrowed shuffled deck. B) I wanted to get proper crediting out there to the guys that needed it, and it was with Gary's permission that I put it on the DVD even though my handling is completely different to Gary's.
As for CTP, it has fooled and caught out many top magicians, and is in my opinion, without trying to sound arrogant, one of the better cards to pockets out there.
Sightseer is probably one of my least performed effects from the DVD, however I still use it, and like it. It may suit some, but not others, and obviously not you, however they say if you take one good thing from a DVD then it was worth it, and I hope you can take many from this.

And Kip, WOW! What a statement (If you were being serious), and I take pride in the way I teach and make sure even people with only a basic knowledge in cards can hopefully learn the routines. If I wanted to, I could have whizzed through, or used more intricate sleight of hand, which usually with Magicians around I will (To show off ofcourse!)
Gary's vanish was one of, if not the most magical thing I saw in Magic for years, and is my handling on his vanish, it is different. As I use this vanish, and if you see it performed live, it looks so much better I am told, where was i? Oh yes, I use this vanish literally every day and in every performance I do, it is a killer for me and I wanted to make sure people could learn such a beautiful vanish.

There is more to come guys, so stay tuned, and again, many thanks to all of you for your great comments, it inspires me to work harder and bring out more of my work into the Magical world.

Any questions, just let me know!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Kip Stevens
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kip Stevens
Quote:
There is more to come guys, so stay tuned,

Pant Pant!!! Bring it on Chris. It can't come soooooooon enough for ol' Kip.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Dear Chris (Williams),

As I've not seen your DVD, can you advise more about the Ace-cutting routine and as to how it is "based" on mine (and Marlo's)...Is it using estimation? Is it similar to mine, which itself was inspired by Marlo's.

Thanks,

Paul Gordon
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Hi Paul, as I don't have any of your material around me at the time of writing this, I can't remember off the top of my head, where I found your routine. If I remember, was it called Easy Estimation Aces? Any Ace routines which required Estimation of some sort, are routines I tried to credit, however my routine and the revelations are what I have put together and use all the time
www.magicman13.co.uk

PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Dear Chris,

My original was first published (1994) in The Card Magic of Paul Gordon and 2 years later in Nocturnal Creations. I created it circa 1987. It's also been on a video and a couple of DVD's. Peter Nardi used it (or used to) ALL the time. In fact, he taught it on a promo video a few years ago. It's a staple of my act and lecture.

Best, Paul Gordon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bright Ideas - Christopher Williams DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL