The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bright Ideas - Christopher Williams DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Its awful...................................................................................................................I mean the fact that I did not buy this sooner. Fan bloomin tastic
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
Great Review in the new Magic Magazine congrats Christopher.
P3
practice practice perform.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Got a date for 3 flown yet chris?
also how long till gary's dvd (and book)?
thanks for mindplay by the way mate Smile
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Alan, thanks for the kind words, always a boost to hear such words from a professional.

Thanks Shaun, I think both Magic Magazine and Genii gave it glowing reviews which has made me incredible proud. I think a lot of people have been put off by the name 'Bright Ideas'. Just because it is called Bright Ideas, doesn't mean that is all they are, they are actually from my professional reportoire, and if you see me perform, either at a gig or convention, these are some of the routines I will perform.

Matt, Three Flown has been out on the back burner for a little bit. I have performed it for...sooo long now, and I can't remember when I was first going to release it. It is a good job I haven't done all this 'Pre-release' rubbish, as I don't believe in it, things are always bound to go wrong. Like with MindPlay, there were problems at the printers, so I didn't accept payment til I actually had the books in my hand. However, it will come out, just don't know when. I finished it about 8 months ago, but I wasn't happy with it, things could have been improved, and I have done so many projects since, it has taken a back step.

As for Gary's work...not sure. Gary and I were planning on a US lecture tour next year, but I think that has now been put back. I still want it to go ahead though, we shall see...Gary's and my book have been written for some time now, we just need pictures and a final proof read/edit. The DVD is still in talks with a Magic company, but Gary is non stop working, I honestly don't know ANYONE worldwide who works more than Gary

Thanks
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Hi guys and gals, I know this is an old thread, but I have just stumbled across a very nice review from Shane at Online Visions, and thought I would share. It can be found here: http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0705brightideas.html

But this is copied and pasted from the site for ease...

"Bright Ideas" DVD by Christopher Williams
Suggested Retail USD$35.00
Available from your favorite dealer
In a Blink: 9 Out of 10

"Bright Ideas", a DVD of card magic by Christopher Williams, is exactly what its title says and worth a look by any serious card worker.

I won't bore you with all the details of all the routines -- they're covered quite well in the ad copy -- but I will say this: there's not a single one that is weak or, dare I say, ordinary, in the bunch.

You'll have your own favorites, of course, but for my money four routines make this disc the must-have card disc it is.

"CTP" is a card-to-pocket routine that is unbelievable in its structure and its entertainment value (watching Williams perform this for a slightly rough table is a treat). In this one, the performers pockets are shown empty and then checked by a spectator to make sure they're empty. Four signed cards vanish only to reappear in different pockets. Williams has built this into an act all by itself, with increasingly magical vanishes and productions. This one routine is worth the money.

So is "Thought of Cards Across". It's the usual plot, done with twenty cards, but the cleanliness here is almost thunderous. Two packets of ten cards each, one picked by a spectator, a card thought of, a snap of the fingers, and now there are nine cards in one packet and eleven in the other. This is immediately repeated with another card (and the packets ending up with twelve in one and eight in the other). This is an entirely "in the hands" version of the classic and is going to be the favorite version of a lot of performers.

I love the "Oil and Water" plot, so Williams' "Oil and Hot Water" was going to be a tough sell: I've seen 'em all and done most of 'em... I thought. Williams knocked me for a loop here, using just four cards and ending with a double color-change at the end. Multi-phased and perfectly structured, this one won me over in a big way.

The last of my favorite routines is "Un-Gaffed Entourage". This is Gordon Bean's "Entourage" plot done without the gimmicked cards and comes in two flavors: a close rendition of the original and a more magical one, depending on how you want to go. I love "Entourage" (doesn't everyone?) and Williams put together a great version that can be done impromptu. This is another one worth the price of the disc.

Okay, so those are my favorites. The other routines are all brilliant pieces so even if my choices don't appeal to you, chances are very good the other material will.

Let's get down to some details about "Bright Ideas".

First, this is material for the advanced to expert card worker -- novices need not apply. You're dealing with culls here and half-passes and all sorts of things that are beyond someone still wading through "Expert at the Card Table" or "Card College". Williams knows what audience his material works for so explanations about a lot of the moves are accordingly brief (a good decision, if you ask me).

Second, Williams material is delightfully commercial with real-world applications. He's a card worker that loves his visuals, sure, but more than that his routining on some of these effects is gorgeous. However, his presentations are his own and at times quite narrative -- be prepared to put the work making these yours.

Third, and a minor thing considering everything else, Williams is a great teacher but his "teaching assistant" (for lack of a better term) is flat-out annoying. Every sentence and action taught by Williams is punctuated with a "yep" or a "uh-huh" or an "okay"... after just a few minutes I was screaming at my TV for the guy to shut-up. He never did, unfortunately. My major complaint with magic videos is a lack of direction; this is the type of thing that a director worth his salt should catch.

Fourth and last, there's very little in the way of gaffs or gimmicks here. Most of the material is powered by a deck of cards and the necessary education. A couple of the routines use what we could appropriately refer to as strangers, but that's about as far as it goes. That, I think, makes Williams' material all the more appealing.

The final analysis? "Bright Ideas" really are just that. Christopher Williams' card work is chock full of those ideas and they pay off handsomely. If you're a serious card worker, this is the DVD to get.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bright Ideas" by Christopher Williams
In a Blink: 9 Out of 10

Material: 10
The material here is a card-worker's dream; powerful effects with solid impact abound. Some are easy enough for the more advanced worker, some will break a knuckle here or there, but all of it is top-notch stuff.

Practicality: 10
Set-ups are minor as are resets, and a great deal of the material requires neither. This is real-world material Williams uses in his act and it shows.

Quality of Production: 10
Everything here is hitting on all cylinders and is a top-notch production.

Quality of Instruction: 8
Williams' teaching skill is very, very good, if a bit rushed in spots. The problem is the most annoying habit of his teaching assistant to have to continually affirm every action. Within five minutes, I was trying to see if I could still learn the routines with the mute on (I couldn't).

Presentation: 10
Williams' focal point is the visual side of card magic and every routine he touches has that in spades. Excellent work here.

Shane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available direct from your favorite dealer. Dealers, please contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc. toll-free at 1-800-853-7403 or visit Murphy's Magic Supplies website.

Another big thanks to Shane and everyone else who has supported me since its release

Chris
www.magicman13.co.uk

Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
Seems like a great dvd. Will put it on my 'to buy' list for now Smile
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
Bright Ideas.. My thoughts:
Skill level: something for all except the total novice (and even then, hang on and practice). A few flourishy moves, but no 'knuckle buster' padding just to impress magicians.
Real world useability (for mortals): A big two thumbs up. The routines are not at all over long, but there is (thankfully) enough substance to engage the audience.
Teaching: Clear, concise, with moves shown with enough camera angles and explanations to make them learnable.
Crediting: To a high standard.
My top 3: Thought of cards across, ungaffed entourage... and either queens transpo or triumphant changing collectors.
Final thoughts: Right up there with Francis, Montier, Prince & Mcree, as this is achievable USEABLE magic, not just eye candy. I've only tried a couple of effects in the 'field' so far, but they entertained and astounded.
If you actually perform magic for real people (commercially or otherwise), I would be shocked if you did not use at least a couple of these gems.
Nice job Christopher.
BigSmile
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of BigSmile
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 15:17, Christopher Williams wrote:
And yes, there is a sequel to the DVD, however, it won't be called Bright Ideas 2 or something I don't think. I certainly have enough material to do a lot more DVDs, however, don't expect it to be released this year. I first have to find someone who would want to take the next project on...we will take it from there. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Christopher,
have you ever released your sequel to Bright Ideas?

Hi Members,
has he ever released his sequel to Bright Ideas?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 12, 2012, BigSmile wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 15:17, Christopher Williams wrote:
And yes, there is a sequel to the DVD, however, it won't be called Bright Ideas 2 or something I don't think. I certainly have enough material to do a lot more DVDs, however, don't expect it to be released this year. I first have to find someone who would want to take the next project on...we will take it from there. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hi Christopher,
have you ever released your sequel to Bright Ideas?

Hi Members,
has he ever released his sequel to Bright Ideas?

Hi BigSmile, wow this is an old thread, and I just realised I never answered this question! Sadly no I never made a sequel. I have had material published in the Antinomy magazines and in several other places such as MindBlasters 2, whilst also releasing The Thought of Cards Across project in book form, MindPlay and my coin in bottle routine 'Impervious'. MindPlay was my last release. I made it 250 limited signed copies, and I spent a lot of time on it and a lot of money getting it out there publishing it all myself. It garnered huge acclaim from magicians such as Joshua Jay, Jon Racherbaumer, Peter Duffie, and also had an idea put in by John Bannon. Sadly after being made aware it had been copied and put on torrent websites, I decided to step away from the magic scene and stop releasing my creations. That being said I still do have a lot of unpublished material I may still put out one day. Sorry for dragging this thread back up! Just didn't want to leave questions unanswered
www.magicman13.co.uk

Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
171 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
I got the dvd and many years. Everybody choose what he likes to do. I like to do the 'water and oil' effect. I haven't see a short killer like these. The most w&o-effects take a long time, to many cards (6 á 8) and (are Boring and) make a lot of confusion. "Concfusion is not magic!" In my opinnion is some effect just for Magicians.
But this one like people. They really enjoying the magic. The big bang is the colorchange and make it unbelieveble. So in my livetime will this in my reportoire and show this one. Smile)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Bright Ideas - Christopher Williams DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL