The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Misdirection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Waldo
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Waldo
I'm realizing now, after looking back on where I've been in magic that the tricks and effects are not important. It is the presentation, and misdirection. It is the skill! It isn't hard for me to look at most effect's and videos, and get ideas and inspiration about how someone is doing what they do. Most of the time they even link you up to the author of the effect, right? Smile

But what I've learned is even the most subtle sleight can be used to create an illusion in the right context. Sometimes a trick might be good, but it becomes annoying when I try to duplicate it. Chasing after tricks, and practicing them for hours just isn't enough unless you are meant to preform.

I have been watching Eric Jone's videos on YouTube & on his website, and he is the master. I saw him take one vanish, "The Imagination Vanish", and was mystified, amazed, and awed. After I pressed rewind and watched it again and again, I finally saw the move, but all of his work is so smooth, and quick, that I wasn't sure if I was watching real magic or not. Until I read what he wrote about being an illusionist.

As a matter of fact I haven't ever seen a magic show I really enjoyed, except from the videos I watch of the people posting to the Café. Most of you are all Pro's beyond pro's. Thanks for the inspiration. I can use it even outside of magic, because I think I've given up sleight of hand. I just don't have the nerves for it.
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I am glad you are beginning to see the light Waldo! It doesn't mean you have to give up though. Just about anything you do in life is tough and a lot of hard work at first until you get a handle on it.

Now that you have scratched the surface there is no reason you can't just keep cutting through. You can do it if you set your mind to it and maybe set up some intermediate goals until you reach the final goal of a master coin magician.....
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Waldo
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Waldo
Well, some people have seen my videos and told me it looked as if I was recovering after a stroke. That aside, I've seen so many magic videos and haven't been impressed. Even videos that were inspirational to me now seem like cheesy "dark magic" that exploit the 2D world of photography. I am sure now, that those magicians who can take the tricks and learn them, and are really able to duplicate them have real gifts and blessings. It is real magic if you can do sleight of hand & make it work. Wouldn't you say? I have talents of my own, but they aren't working magic with my hands, or even getting other people to smile. We all have a purpose.
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
I think waldo you have took some comments to heart meaning "some people have seen my videos and told me it looked as if I was recovering after a stroke."

I would take comment's like these with a pinch of salt ,they are just been rude and not helping you in anyway ,as for seeing so many magic videos and not been impressed, well some stuff must have impressed you otherwise you woulden't have got in to magic if you see where I'm comi'n from.
I woulden't give up ,remember this can be hard at times with all the practicing but at the end you will achieve your goals.I think you have plenty to offer but it is only you that can decide that? Do you ever go to any magic conventions ,i'm only askin cause I know you feel a little uninspired by some videos,cause when I'm at a convention and you meet other magicians and see others perform then you will change your mind ,this is totally different to video exsperiences. all the best

shaun
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
Waldo,
Don't take everything you are told to heart. You have just really started to learn slight of hand. It is not something that one learns overnight or is born with the skills. They have to be learned over a period of time. Even Eric Jones will tell you that he was not always so smoooth and that he practices all the time till he gets it right. We all are awkward and look like we are recovering from a stroke when we begin. So stick with it. You are learning a great deal. You have already learned that it is the presentation that really matters and not the trick itself. Start by learning a few tricks but learn them really well so they become yours. Once you have mastered a few then learn a few more until you have become the master like Eric.
John
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Waldo,

How long have you been learning sleight of hand?

Every sleight is different for every person. I would advise you to learn a few of the most basic sleights. Learn some tricks that don't require sleight of hand and use these to become comfortable with the presentation part of close up. Then learn some trick that only use the most basic sleights like the thumb palm for coins or the double lift for cards.
Wes
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I would suggest to think about what inspires you. Think outside of the normal "magic trick". What does your mind's eye see as magic?

Now about misdirection, what I have found to be one of the main secrets is to be aware of 'intention'. By that I mean that every action (words and gestures)has meaning and purpose. When you don't have those things misdirection breaks down (IMO).

Study perceptual psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology and Behaviorism.

Above all love what you are doing and have fun with it. If you do so will your audience.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Waldo,

from an acedemic stand point, JTW summed it up for you extremely well.

But to build confidence, I ALWAYS say to guys, "the only way to get good, is to go out and get caught!!!"

Nothing could be more true. Actual performance give you instant feedback as to whether or not a specific effect produces positive results, each time the effect is performed. If you're not getting a good response, don't say it must be the trick, see what you might be doing wrong that may cause you to be caught, and alter that handling to compensate.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
guaranteed_fresh
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Canada
20 Posts

Profile of guaranteed_fresh
Its interesting how all of the magicians I have looked up to and admired can absolutely blow audiences away with the classics. Sponge Balls, TT's, rope tricks, etc. Imagine that you can fool people with a simple sponge ball routine - what will happen when you combine that skill with a really deceptive and clever effect or gimmick?
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Absolutely Eric! The Best way to learn is to perform in front of real people...(I think we have had this conversation when I was in Virginia with you and Jonathan B.)

The BEST barometer of an effect is an audience. We aren't talking about people who know you and don't want to tell you you flashed or whatever, go out and perform for total strangers! But study the principles of deception first, understanding them will give you a tool set to choose from when faced with a less than ideal situation.

Good luck!
jason w
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 10:54, JTW wrote:..Study perceptual psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology and Behaviorism...

You mean read? !!

There there is LOTS of hands on experimental work to do... and that is WORK
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Misdirection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL