We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Tell me what you want in an affordable remote! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
VSM Tech
View Profile
New user
Tech-Al
5 Posts

Profile of VSM Tech
Hello,
I wanted to see if you would contribute to a discussion on how to build a wireless music remote that could cost as little as $189.

What would you like it to do?

Would a foot pedal be all you need?

Currently we are looking into building a new remote that will enable you to control a Sony Walkman CD, MD, or an iPod. But it would be a stripped down version of our iCue Squared system.

What functions would you want to keep in, and what functions would you want to throw away?

Our goal is to make a simple remote that is very straight forward, without a display, and perhaps only a couple buttons. It could have a 9 volt battery inside too...

If we gave you the option of choosing your functions and having it factory set to do what you want, would that be desirable? It would be easy enough to do while you are on the web site and configuring it the way you want.

Would you rather have a 5 button pocket remote, or a foot pedal? Foot pedals could be configurable too.

Keep in mind that perhaps a 1-3 button remote or foot pedal might be the base unit, and other additional functions would be additional cost above the $199.

What are or is the most important function(s) you need the most, or what can you get by with?

Thank you for you help,

Glad to be of service
VSM Tech Al.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Hi,

I'll repeat what I have on my website. I've been using a remote since 2000, and for me I have found I only need two buttons:

- Play next track
- Stop current track and fade out

FYI, "play next track" involves having the playback device go to the next track, play it, and then when the track's over, stop and wait for you to press the button again. But you've already got that covered.

In most of my one-man shows I've found that I'm close enough to my speakers that it's just easier to tweak the volume knob on the speakers than by playing with the remote. This is because for the smaller gigs, you have a platform or similar area, you set up on it, and everything's just a couple of steps away. From reading the posts other people have put up here, they seem to have similar gigs.

How will your remote be better than the $40.00 RF ones available? (I think I know what you'll say, but this is an obvious question.)

Jeff
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I would prefer a wireless, momentary footswitch that would control the the track advance. It would be nice to also have a remote that had start and track advance. If it could be programmed to suit the individual would be really nice. Then you could make a 2 button remote that could be tailored to control different functions.

Are we talking about control of any Sony model CD player or minidisk player?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I'd like to wear it on my wrist like a wrist watch.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
VSM Tech
View Profile
New user
Tech-Al
5 Posts

Profile of VSM Tech
Okay
So that I understand, you guys want a Play-Pause command, Fade out and a Forward command? 3 buttons?

The Play/Pause command could have an auto advance attached to it as a natural function. So would that would mean that having a Forward command be redundant? If so then this would be a 2 button remote or a foot pedal with one of those commands.

If the remote was small enough to wear as a (watch) then it should have not more than 2-3 buttons total. These remotes would have a 25-30 foot range, slightly longer than the Air-Click. And our standard long range remotes could be compatible so that you have more options for long range control situations.

The standard Anti-Sleep protocols would be in place with this base unit, as it is micro controlled. And as such would be the component responsible to semi automatic features like Fade and Auto-track advance...

What are the most 3 important commands that you can't live without in this simple remote? I am thinking that I want to limit it to 3 at the most.

Yes-- this would control most every Sony CD player, as we have posted on our Order page. it is somewhat out of date but only missing this ears new CD players. Almost any Sony CD player that has the wired/remote socket as part of the headphone socket. As well as Mini Disc recorders.

{Possibility--Mini Disc and iPod would benefit from our Auto-Pause protocol, but may not be defeat-able}

Regan; Could you be more specific about what you mean about ?-
"a remote that had start and track advance. If it could be programmed to suit the individual would be really nice."

Remember I don't perform, so I can't follow you here...

Thanks,

Glad to be of service,
VSM Tech Al.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sorry I made that sound unclear. Now that I have read your descriptions maybe I can clear it up.

What I mean by start is "play/pause" command.

If I am understanding your explanation correctly, I think I would still need a track forward advance cue button. In other words, the way my music is recorded, my minidisk never stops after the show begins. I just have blank tracks inserted wherever I need silence. To start my music for a routine I just have to push the FF button one time and it goes to the next track, and the song begins.

Instead of programmable I guess I should have said, "made to order". I just thought it would be nice to get the buttons customized to suit each performers individual needs. I want play/pause with track forward....someone else wants play/pause with fade in......still someone else might want track forward with fade out. I don't even know if that is possible, or if it might defeat the purpose and make it too expensive, but I thought it would be nice if you could offer that. I don't think you are going to find that everyone will want the same 3 functions.

I guess the perfect set up for me would be a small remote with 2 buttons.....1 for Play/Pause and 1 for track forward......however, I would still like to have a remote footswitch that would control the track forward command. If I could only choose one, I would go with the footswitch. If I had that I could start each track "hands free" after the show was underway.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I really only need 1 with Forward (Advance Track) being the most important. I could use the Play/Pause feature also, so that would be ok for #2. I will have to think about that third button and see if I could even make use of it. Maybe a Reverse (to go back to the start of a previous track. That would be handy in case of a miscue. If the forward button got accidentally pressed, or maybe pressed twice, etc, you could easily go back to the previous track you skipped without any problems. Or maybe a fade out???? Decisions....decisions......

So, I guess here are my choices for a 3-button remote: (The order indicates my preference because of necessity, not they button # on the remote)

#1 Forward (Track Advance)
#2 Pause/Play
#3 ????? Either Reverse (Track Rewind) or Fade Out

If I can get a footswitch with the Forward (Track Advance) I may not even want the other remote....it would highly depend upon the cost. Will we be able to purchase either the footswitch and remote seperatly? Together? Will we be able use both the small remote and a footswitch at the simultaneously?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Al,

I don't quite get what you're saying here, maybe it's just because I don't know what's involved with getting a CD player or minidisk to do this.

If I want one button I can press to play the next track, would "Advance Track" be it? I would press it and then the player goes to the next track and starts playing it. I assume your receiver then pauses at the end of the track.

What's confusing me is the need for a Play/Pause button. I guess I haven't seen a routine yet where you pause the music in the middle, say something to the audience, and then restart the music from where it was paused. Usually you just talk over the music, or edit it so that when you need to talk, it gets quieter for a moment.

I'd still want a Stop & Fade Out command, this is for cutting off long tracks.

Jeff
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
VSM Tech,

Yeah, what Jeff Said.........

Also I want an affordable remote that is actually affordable.

Let me see: ICUE2 $799.99
ABT IJet Remote: $40.00

Savings $750.00 dollars.

The remote that your are getting feedback on: $189.00
ABT IJet Remote: $40.00
Savings $120.00 dollars.

If you can get the remote to $100.00 MAX. I will buy one myself and even review it.

The fact is Rockbox OS is shortly going to support remote controls thru the docking port and then the IPOD will be fading natively. Considering that the OS is Open Source and it has tons of developers.

It does require a working Sys file in the IPOD Control folder but I have been experimenting with restoring the Sys file that was deleted with Itune 7 and the firmware upgrades. It works.

On top of that the APL 2 bootloader which is easy to install thru some software you download on your computer, will give you the opition on reboot to load the Apple OS, Ipod Linux and Rockbox OS.

G0THIKE
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 11:30, VSM Tech wrote:
You said that you would like Play/Pause as #1, then Forward (advance track) as #2, and Fade down (into Pause #3. (Remember Mini Discs will have Auto-Pause between tracks and so will iPods).

That sounds good, but you said that it would only have a 25-30 foot range. My iJet remote has a 150 foot range and the only feature that it doesn't have is the fade on pause. I can live without that if your remote is going to be in the price range that you say. At least give the remote more range and I'm sure more would consider purchasing it.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
If you can get the remote to $100.00 MAX. I will buy one myself and even review it. Seriously I would buy one and even recommend it if it works.

Here is what I want:

1) A 100 foot range would be ideal
2) Better price
3) LCD screen in the remote sorta like the ABT one.
4) Little LED in the remote to indicate that the button was pressed visual
5) Make the buttons click so you know you pressed them.
6) Auto Pause between track with a fade out.
7) Filter to eliminate interferance

G0THIKE
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I can see how having a screen on the remote wouldn't be useful. I think most people are going to want to use this remote similar to the way that remotes for Powerpoint presentations are used. With those, you are either looking at the audience or the screen to talk about the next slide. Having to look down at the control in your hands just doesn't look good.

Al, this sounds like a good product. I like that the focus is on simple. And the advantage of being able to hook it up to a variety of devices is terrific.

FYI, I have used one of your older models, the one that hooked up to the iPod, before you had the official iPod certification. For my purposes, it had too many features and modes, all of which were being controlled "live." Nice to see the new focus on this product.

Jeff
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I might be interseted in a 2 or 3 footpedal remote. If I had a footpedal that would control Forward (track advance) I could place it onstage, and I could have one that would Start the music backstage. Backstage would not really matter for me. Since it would not be seen it could be a handheld remote or a footpedal, etc.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I followed Jeffs instructions for a remote: http://remotelaptop.tripod.com/index.html I am satified. I purchased the 4 buttom remote. It gives more than just 4 controls. If you push two buttons the same time, that would work as a control too. The only catch is you must have a laptop already. The rest is free after you purchase the remote.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
For years I have shown people how to control their music thru bluetooth, cell phones, IR controllers, RF, X10, palm pilots, RF extenders, etc, etc. Does it make me an expert, not really. But I figure things out, just resourceful.

Personally I think the ICUE2 is a better machine than the plug & play competition, I said it before in other places, as you are aware of, and I will remind you again.

This is the last post of mine in this thread. But I will repeat this, why not offer a pc/mac remote control thru a USB connector (hybrid) which also has an IPOD connector. 4 buttons, play, pause, forward, back. For mac/pc make it programmable, for use with Grider, IR/RF Assistant software or any other hotkey generator. I know you don't like the idea about the pc/mac remote but all of us are on a pc/mac reading this..............

G0THIKE
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
For my ideal "scaled down VSM" remote I would be looking for the following:

button no 1 - pause
button no 2 - auto fade + trackforward + volume up + pause
button no 3 - play

optional would be

button no 4 - rewind
button no 5 - volume up
button no 6 - volume down

The possibility to pick and choose your functions sounds interesting - that could keep the remote small and simple and allow you to modify the system as needs be.

My VSM 7.5 has just lost it's rechargability :-( and I'm using my Ipod more than ever (I only use my minidisc with the VSM) so this sounds like a great alternative.

All the best

Cliff
David Allen
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
22 Posts

Profile of David Allen
I am thrilled that VSM is trying to get a stripped down version. I would buy one for a backup system when I fly. The things that I think are definately needed are:
1- Pause/Play
2- Auto track advance
3- Volume control

I hope you guys understand the value of what the VSM is trying to do. I have been a customer for about 5-6 years now and I know that the customer service has been GREAT! Any issues I have ever had are fixed imediately.
Dave
CMG
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of CMG
One button...

Play/Fade out and pause on next track.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I would love to donate ideas, but I'm so spoiled from the 4-button remote that I used for so long and the new "click-feel" remote for my iCue2 that I couldn't get used to having less!

Steve
David Allen
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
22 Posts

Profile of David Allen
Are you thinking of a keyfob remote? Or would these remotes be more like the remotes on the ICue2? I do like the idea of the tiny keyfob remote.

D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Tell me what you want in an affordable remote! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL