The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dan Harlan's The Jug (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I will continue to update everyone if and when Dan finally delivers my Jug. We will see if he works his issues out and delivers or if it is all talk. He said he would take care of this plus some, but he also told me this a year ago.
Steve
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
After reading all posts best thing customers can do is not buy from Dan. Does he have 50 posts yet. Just joking.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2007-04-04 23:05, The Great Smartini wrote:
It would appear that his troubles are continuing. One of the reasons that I attended last years PCAM was to see his lecture...he missed his flight, was delayed at customs, had passport problems and on and on and eventually never showed for a convention where he was one of the headliners...I hope that whatever "troubles" that he's been having get resolved. Still, not sure why he would seemingly "stiff" paying customers. This surprises me.

I purchased the jug from another Café member and it works quite well. If you can get one, I would.

He may be having personal problems, but the Jug is a great prop. I have used it many many times.....in fact I will be using it again at a show tomorrow.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
Quote:
On 2007-03-24 21:46, tbaer wrote:
Quote:
I told him I had paid and I had never received what I had paid for. His reply to me was "join the club". Steve

Is that Dan being a genius?

There's a difference between being a genius and being a good businessman
dewbee
View Profile
New user
Maine, USA
2 Posts

Profile of dewbee
I paid for the milk jug over two years ago. Sent him numerous emails. He finally answered back stating that he would make good. That was over a year ago. Hey! Harlan,(you remember). Anyways, we will meet at a convention one day soon. Bob Dube.
Tony Chris
View Profile
V.I.P.
Vancouver, Canada
714 Posts

Profile of Tony Chris
I purchased his Jug about 3 years ago from Hocus-Pocus and it is a very good prop. I have been using it for hundreds of performances and mine is still working perfectly.

It is unfortunate that he has not made good on those who have ordered it from him as there is nothing worse than ordering an effect from the seller and never seeing it.

I now make sure to order everything direct from Hocus-Pocus, MJM and a few other shops but I always make sure to ask them now if it is in stock or something that is always in stock within a few days.

Saves a lot of grief as I also ordered an effect once direct from the magician who manufactured it and never received it either.
As magicians we create what onlookers call magic. If they truly believe in what we have created for them to witness then magic is real!!!

- TONY CHRIS, A.K.A. Zany Zack

http://www.tonychris.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I've heard that Dan's been having a some pretty serious issues the last few years .

(no excuse for not delivering goods that were paid for. He should make good on those orders.)

That said, I got one of the first generation of "The Jug" (I think I was actually a "beta tester" for the effect) and it still works fine.

I've had similar type of apparatus which depend on inserts fall apart on me in the past . If they get over-heated then seams can separate , etc. It's unfortunate , but it happens. Unless there's a warranty on the equipment you're stuck.

I have a 25 year old Abbott's Miracle Tumbler that is still working perfectly. It's a good stage effect for a milk vanish. The advantage of the Jug is that it can be done "almost" close-up since the material the jug is made of masks the method.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1550 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
Well Dan has told me he would make good and deliver my jug as promised and as of this writing I still have not received my jug even though he has told me on 3 occasions I would get it. There is no denying he just ripped me off. If he has got his life back in order why does he not deliver as promised? He has constantly lied to me the whole time. I had a lot of respect for Dan at one time but when he steals from you and lies to you I can never respect the guy again. I want my jug that I paid for and he never delivered.
Steve
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Maybe Dan is having trouble trying to 'Jug'gle his finances. Guffaw!
jerrydb4
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of jerrydb4
Take legal action. If you have proof you paid for the item, which I am sure you do, you probably have a case. I have read in other threads that he is doing lectures so there is no reason that he can't spend 5.00 for postage to mail your item. I don't know either of you but I just get tired of hearing about people getting ripped off.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I think he should pay you back triple. It's been over two years and the utility on the money you sent has compounded to at least double the value of the original $$ you sent. Couple that with rudeness, and the cost should be at least three. I would demand them and then do what you are doing - defame him all over the Internet (warn him first that you are going to and see if that gets him going - if not, report his erratic and outrageous behavior far and wide). I am never buying anything from that guy. Just hearing how poorly he's treated you steams me. In general, customer service across economic sectors is so poor now in this country, our only recourse is to communicate and fight back using gripe sites and target audiences for effective messages. Keep on this deadbeat (I don't care how famous he is; in your case, and I have bought and sold with you a dozen times and know how reputable you are). His actions in this matter are pathetic.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
How much did you pay for The Juge (i.e. how much are you out)?
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Legal action is expensive and, even more important, time consuming. But some well-targeted e-mails exposing his shennanigans around the Internet (and posting some poor reviews of his customer service) should be relatively easy. I'd issue him an ultimatum and then, if he doesn't refund you triple, I'd smear him far and wide (with truthful information, but which points out the many shortcomings in his dealings with you). I've never seen The Jug, but have heard others report that it is terrible. I'm glad I'll never have to know, but sorry if you've been preyed upon by this guy. Thanks for letting us all know so we can keep an eye out.

Does any reputable dealer carry The Jug?
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
So don't buy stuff from Dan Harlan.

I really like the effects I have from him, but I got them from my local magic shop, because I want to put my money there and support the shop so it will stay in business.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-07-26 14:42, Mumblemore wrote:

Does any reputable dealer carry The Jug?

I don't think Dan Harlan is making "The Jug" anymore . At one time Hocus-Pocus carried it , but that was something like 4 or 5 years ago.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I think Dan strarted an old fashioned jug band, so that's where the confusion has been.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I don't know what Dan's problem is. Maybe he had a nervous break-down or something, or just had too much on his plate. I've tried to contact him several times with no luck. Maybe he should jump on the formum here and educate us, or at least let us know where's his bands' next gig is.

Jim
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Jim, don't worry he'll be back when he has something else to hawk. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Mumblemore,

When you heard bad things about "The Jug", they were incorrect. You know me, and I wouldn't say good things about a bad product. I bought one directly from Dan, and when it arrived, one of the metal nuts used as spacers had come loose and was rattling around inside. I emailed and returned it, Dan immediately sent a new one (must've been a newer version withOUT the nuts) along with some freebies for my time and trouble. I've had it ever since. It's a joy to use and is much better than milk (or whatever) from a glass or pitcher.

Steve
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Glad that you liked yours Steve Thomas. I should qualify my perhaps overly strong views by saying that I have not owned the Jug. But I have heard several complaints and also know Steve (magicbyswh) and that he tells it like it is. I share the frustrating story of poor service and rudeness, which is probably not new to any of us, but should not make claims about the product. It is odd, however, that if he had such a good product, why he didn´t back it much better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dan Harlan's The Jug (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL