The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Million Dollar Book Test on Amazon.com (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Just when you though they couldn't get any lower, now the purveyors of this garbage are offering it to the public on Amazon.com.

Click http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B......eatcarry to see the ad and read my brief review.

Bob
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Good review.This makes me ashamed to be a capitalist!.I may move to Cuba if they
would let me in!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Hey man this is not right and I know its not.

Simon has something to do with it so it must be good.

J ack

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Magic Makers has over 175 products on Amazon. I can't believe they're releasing the pencil trick like that!!!!!
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Poltergeistkotzdonderhoploits!
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
What he said ^

Jack Shalom
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Since when was the last time that Penguin, Hocus, Ellusionist and any other online magic shop turned down an order from a complete layman? Let me answer that for you. Never. So what really is the difference? I am not seeing it.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I don't imagine lay people ordering it, and if they do, I see some returns. If you deal with Amazon, saying you bought the secret does not cut it.
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
What exactly is the problem, is it that it's sold on Amazon or that it is a rip off. If it's the latter, in what way did it rip of the MOAB? I did a search but couldn't find anything.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
The problem is yes, it is a rip off of MOAB, but it is also being sold to the general public at a very cheap price. Many performers in mentalism use MOAB in their show. The bigger problem is the way it's being advertised and the choice of words to sell the book. It really doesn't matter if it's on Amazon or a magic site because its just as easy to find either way. But when you advertise "Learn to Read Minds" and "Includes How To Instructions" then you are inticing many people who wouldn't know that you could learn the secrets if you buy from a magic site.

JZ
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I put in my 2 cents, maybe it'll help. Controlled Reviews and Comments might be a way to help control the damage.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
For a long time, the MOABT was the favorite tool of many performing mentalists.

As the MOABT (and it's "rip-offs") find their way into the hands of more and more performers, the serious mentalist will need to create a telpathy demonstations that appear to NOT use the MOABT method ... or a telepathy demonstration that uses more tham the MOABT.

By combining the MOABT with several other "conflicting" methods in a fast-paced, entertaining telepathy demonstration, I am still able to amaze an audience.

But it takes real thought and clever routining to pull it off.

Chuck Hickok
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 23:08, Josh Zandman wrote:
The problem is yes, it is a rip off of MOAB, but it is also being sold to the general public at a very cheap price. Many performers in mentalism use MOAB in their show. The bigger problem is the way it's being advertised and the choice of words to sell the book. It really doesn't matter if it's on Amazon or a magic site because its just as easy to find either way. But when you advertise "Learn to Read Minds" and "Includes How To Instructions" then you are inticing many people who wouldn't know that you could learn the secrets if you buy from a magic site.

JZ

I didn't realize this is a rip off product. I thought the issue was the fact it was being sold on Amazon. Somebody did mention Magic Makers, so I should have guessed they ripped someone off.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
... and it seems to be a trend now of using the names of other Ted K effects to sell the copy-cat product.

JZ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Simon Lovell has argued with me about condemning MM for ripping people off. To tell you the truth, people who let these guys get away with it and work for MM should find a nice red light to stand under, and stop cars asking "Hey, magician, wanna buy a trick?"

To be absolutely fair, I must point out that this is completely legal. Ted K. did not originate the principle used in MOAB. Although he has copyrighted the text, if someone else has written a new novel that uses the same principle, then there isn't anything we can do about it except write bad reviews of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Bill,

I didn't argue with you at all. I just pointed out that, while MM, has had its past it is trying hard now to get full credits and history on effects. I also pointed out that they do seem to be the whipping boys here as I'm sure many of us could put down a long list of dealers who have consistantly ripped others off.

I'm not saying that it is right just saying that sometimes it really is a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Very best wishes to all,

Simon
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just put up a bad review about the book on Amazon. My pen name is "The Mentalist". I wonder why it is not showing up yet, they probably read it before listing it.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Hi Simon, I have a legitimate question for you. Can you shed any light on why Rob named his book 'The Million Dollar Book Test'? I know you that you personally know that Ted K has an effect called this. And how do you feel about the way it's being sold on Amazon with Rob's choice of target selling words?

JZ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 12:14, Simon Lovell wrote:
Bill,

I didn't argue with you at all. I just pointed out that, while MM, has had its past it is trying hard now to get full credits and history on effects. I also pointed out that they do seem to be the whipping boys here as I'm sure many of us could put down a long list of dealers who have consistantly ripped others off.

I'm not saying that it is right just saying that sometimes it really is a case of the pot calling the kettle black!

Very best wishes to all,

Simon

Simon:

At the IBM Convention in 2004, you said to me "Why do you keep bashing Magic Makers? They aren't doing anything that any other dealer doesn't do."

And I replied with a rather succinct reference to the excrement of the male bovine.

Then I gave you a list of items they have knocked off. If they want to clean up their act, they need to get rid of all of the phoney Paul Fox cups and come up with their own design. They need to quit selling bad copies of Viking and CW props. They need to quit knocking off MAK Magic. They need to quit knocking off Ted K.

You and Marty Graham are the only really creative people they have working for them. I had hopes when your DVD sets came out that this was the start of a new trend.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mike:

They read all the reviews before they post them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Million Dollar Book Test on Amazon.com (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL