The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Nickels To Dimes: Trouble Shooting (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I was under the opion that they all did
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Who makes a quality nickels to dimes.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2007, ibm_usa wrote:
I just purchased Nickels To Dimes. The Problem is that the nickel shell is stuck in the cap. I tried tapping it but it still won't come off. any ways of fixing this problem?

I know you already solved your problem, but wanted to reveal why this can happen:

If you insert the shell without a nickle on top, there is no "weight" to it and it becomes difficult to bang out, although you can do so with just the bang ring by using extra force and a very hard surface.

Otherwise, the shell is inserted upside down and you can see shiny side facing out (instead of the brass inside). The cup method mentioned before works, but I find an easier method is to stack two bang rings on top of each other - then you can bang it out with a little extra force as above.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
It is a nice trick and I am told it was developed by Walter Gibson, who is one of my favorite magic writers.
Daston
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Daston
Wife and I have been together 8+ years and the first trick I showed her was nickels to dimes. I used a TT(loaded with my nickels) and borrowed her nickels placing them inside a small cloth bag. Pretending to forget to have her write down the dates of each nickel, I poured the nickels from the bag (TT) and she wrote down the dates of each nickel. When I turned the nickels into dimes, of course each dime carried the same date as her nickels. To this day she BEGS for me to tell her how I did it and I love hearing her tell the story to her friends!
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2018, Steven Conner wrote:
Who makes a quality nickels to dimes.

I'm asking that question too!

I recently decided to buy the effect again remembering how much fun it was in my early teens. The set I got is very tight. It takes considerable pressure to make the cap flush with the shell and even then a little bit of the shell is still exposed most of the time.

Any advice on how to loosen the fit a bit? Any lubricants ? Though I doubt that is the way to go.

TIA
Phil
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2021, docguitarman wrote:

Any advice on how to loosen the fit a bit? Any lubricants ? Though I doubt that is the way to go.

TIA
Phil

A simple but effective lubricant is graphite. Use a pencil to color inside the lid.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
888 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks Wravyn,

That is helping! Still a little taught. I'll keep coloring!

Phil
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Veteran user
Flint, Mi.
303 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
Just to add to this old post with a nickel-to-dimes routine I came up with and enjoy. It's overkill but fun, I do the NFW move showing all 4 cards with dime coin stickers on them then set them on the table. Put the nickel stack on top of the cards. Cast the magic shadow then lift up the brass top and show all 4 nickels turned into dimes, then turn the cards over to show all four dime cards are now all nickel cards. Like I said maybe overkill for a nice basic effect but....
Be Young...Have Fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Nickels To Dimes: Trouble Shooting (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL