We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Semi-Automatic Card Tricks - Steve Beam Series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
165 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Anyone out there have the entire series? Which volume would you consider the best? Thanks for your input!

Mike

PS: Steve Beam is coming here soon, I'll ask him as well.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I do have the entire series, and all volumes are equal good IMO.
It's very difficult to say which one is the best.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Yes, I am agree with Peo. However, I found out that the recent volume 6 & 7, quite a number of the stuffs are very interesting (not involved card principle). Smile

Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
I have the entire series.

Personally, I think volume 3 is the best...

A friend of mine prefers Vol. 5.

Unlike Andrew, I must admit I wasn't as thrilled by Vol. 6 & 7 (especially 6). I can't quite describe why. While Steve's writing is quite humourous and on par with his other books, I just thought the material was blend. Some of my colleagues who are also big fans of the series agree. After giving me 5 wonderful volumes, I am very willing to ignore a minor slip.

In fact, knowing Steve, chances are that he can kill with all the material so I will definitely reread them at one point to see if I can unearth gems...

I hope this helps.
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I think the Semi-Automatic series has the most "hidden gems" of any magic books I know. For some reason (probably the lack of drawings for the effects that don't need any since they are moveless), it seems easy to overlook some killer effects.

Regarding Volume 6, I'd like to share a few that I think are terrific for any performer.

Turning Heads, on page 52, is a new plot to me. Imagine, from a borrowed deck, you twist the head of one of the queens, then hand everything out for examination. Try it once on real people. Very visual,by the way.

Khan, on page 138(3 variations are given). From a BORROWED, SPECTATOR SHUFFLED DECK, someone calls out a number from 1 to 52. You name a card. THE SPECTATOR deals out the called number, he arrives at the card. Amazingly devious. Stop and think how YOU could create this effect.

Curry Recipes, a chapter of "Out of This World" variations. Everyone does Out of This World, perhaps the greatest trick ever invented. This chapter contains some very strong ideas to address challenges like: no changing the leader cards, no counting cards, no full deck, shuffling before the effect, cards can be dealt in clumps, etc.

I'm sure there are many more treasures in this volume.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Exactly where I can find vol. 6 & 7?
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
http://www.stevebeam.com is the only place.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
849 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Are back issues of "The Trapdoor" available anywhere? I had some a few years back - great reading!

Cheers

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
My favourite thus far is Book 7... especially the section on the reverse faro.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Quote:
On 2007-03-24 04:00, Peo Olsson wrote:
I do have the entire series, and all volumes are equal good IMO.
It's very difficult to say which one is the best.

Peo

Peo, it's always a good laugh to read your critical reviews on the Café.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 19:12, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
My favourite thus far is Book 7... especially the section on the reverse faro.

I'm wondering what this reverse faro is?

Thanks.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Essentially upjogging every other card in the deck and stripping them out, therefore executing the reverse effect of a Faro.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
It's next to impossible for me to pick a favorite Volume. This series of books is the absolute best collection concerning this branch of card magic. Just the quality list of contributers alone is staggering. Beam is one of the best card men alive, hell the guy has forgotten more about card magic than I could ever hope to know.

If you ever get the opportunity to see Steve perform the material from these books in person you'll see why it's impossible to pick a favorite; he has a knack for creating magic that will flatten you with tools that you already know. I use something from ever volume of this series.

BWT, if you want the best collection of not so semi-automatic magic IMO you can't beat Steve's Trapdoor series either.

The guy's work is some of the best on the planet.

Clark
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
165 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Just finished Vol. 3 and I think out of the three (so far) it's the best IMHO. I still have Vol.4 and most likely will continue buying these as I go along. Thanks for all the help. Forgot I started this thread ages ago. Smile

Mike
jameshawker
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of jameshawker
I’m just finishing reading volume 3. There are some great effects but it’s my favourite so far, can’t wait to get stuck into the rest. I love the ‘worlds greatest magician’ in volume 3, it is very good
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Semi-Automatic Card Tricks - Steve Beam Series (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL