The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How do you come up with your own effects. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I am not sure where to put this, so I guess I will put it here

The question is, what ways do you come up with your own effects, without stealing from someone else.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Start with another effect and play with it til I've changed it completely to something else is one thing I'm fond of doing just for my own entertainment. But basically I reverse engineer. I decide what sort of effect I want, a vanish, transpositon, metamorphosis, appearance, what ever. I then decide exactly what it is that I'm wanting to do this too, then I work backwards from there evaluating various methods by which the effect could be obtained. Once I have a method and effect, I then start thinking "ok now what do I want to say to the audience with this?" and from that develop the routine / patter. Then as a general rule I continue to mess with it til it no longer bears any resemblance from what I started with. But that is the joy of being a hobbyist, you don't always have to be commercial or practical.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
When a spectator ask "hey can you....?" write it down afterwards and see it you can come up with a solution.

Take the basic styles of tricks (vanishing: appearing: colour changing: floating: something through something) and add in a noun and come up with a way to do it. For example....
Vanishing chair. Research other possible methods. Research other methods of vanishing large items. Look at building materials that may lead to a solution....
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
First off it usually isn't stealing if you come up with a variation that you credit the basis of your variation. The tough part is coming up with an original concept. Those are few and far between. Good luck.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I've just been involved in seeing how "The Chinese Washing Machine" manufactured by Supreme came into being (thanks to research by Andrew Pinnard, Tony James and others). The actual inventor was probably Oswald Williams around 1920, who came up with a Magic Laundry stage act where he washed a shirt, shrunk it, stretched it, tore it to ribbons and finally restored it. Next, it appeared in The Linking Ring as an article from originator Bruce Posgate. Posgate didn't invent anything new, as far as I can tell, but he certainly took other magician's inventions and worked them into entertaining routines. It was his "Magic Laundry" routine, written up in the Linking Ring (1951, Vol.31, No. 6) that provided the idea for the "Chinese Washing Machine" to Lewis Thomas, who had Jack Hughes make him the prop that was seen by Edwin and ultimately manufactured by Supreme. Even now, other originators are taking the basic effect and adapting it in various ways. Jim Gerrish will soon be publishing his Hardboard and Duct Tape version on my site. His variations will be in the construction and presentation of the basic effect, but it all goes back to Williams' original Magic Laundry idea.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
"We covet what we see everyday, our eyes move over the items we want and we covet them" -Hannibal Lector

An example ... I used to drink LOTS of soda ... coca-cola, pepsi, etc ... which resulted in lots of soda cans in my house. Should be no surprise I created a floating soda can for my comedy club act.

My 'Disappearing JoeJoe' box (which many magicans mistaken as an ordinary mirror box) uses a principle from another trick I used to demo at the magic shop I worked. One day it just dawned on me, the exact same principle can be applied here also.

My sword-and-rope routine (see my avatar) is no exception ... every day I handled the gimmick - after so many years, I realized how it could be used to hold a sword in my chest.

If you are a magic creator, you will create magic with what you have around you ... from what you handle on a daily basis.

In other words, magic starts with that which you are most familar with.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Sometimes I'll see a plot that I like and work on my own variation using methods I have learned over time.
Other times I'll think of something that I think would be cool a strive for that.
Both processes require me to analyze my ideas so it will look smooth, have fitting patter and be easy for the audience to follow.
Sometimes the process goes fast and sometimes it may take quite a long time to get to what I visualized.
damkat69
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of damkat69
I am always looking at different ways of changing an effect into something else, like a lot of the above posts, it is in the use of practice that I find different effects for a trick if slightly changed or modified. Change an existing trick into something you think would be cool. Once you have started to open up the possibilities of an effect you can be at it for days, or weeks coming up with ideas that it can be used for.;
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I have come up with a TON of origianl concepts, and I am only 13 years old! What I do is I play with my cards or coins or other objects until I discover something new. I kind of have a knack for it, so another helpful tip is to come up with a great, clever name for a non-existent effect, and think up an effect that would suit the title. When you have a concept in mind try different sleights and moves that will bring your dream routine to life.

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's interesting, Michael. Eleazar Goodenough, who is 9 years old, seems to come up with his effects in much the same way, by just playing around with various objects. He doesn't limit himself to standard magic things like coins and cards, but when he is walking through a Dollar Store, his dad tells me he is always getting "in trouble" with store clerks for handling the merchandise and making items do magical things right in the store. Of course, his dad is always there to bail him out and buy the stuff he says he needs. We have learned that when he says he's got an idea for a new trick, we'd better pay attention.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
I think that you can just keep evolving tricks into other tricks and you will come up with new ways. That is how most magic is. Concepts being improved with different methods.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
First start NOW and keep a journal. write down everything even the wackiest stuff. Like eskimo pie's and peanut butter. Then go back and read what youve written. It could go something like finding the name of the card Printed inside the cover of an eskimo pie. or pulling a signed coin from a jar of peanut butter. (note if you or anyone comes up with these I at least get a footnote.) The bottom line is to Free think, Make a record as you do this, Then let yourself be open to new Ideas. Eventually you will get the hang of it.
Believe you then that I do strange things
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
I just sit down and have a cup of tea.
I have a clear idea of how I want to be,
The answer you seek , does not come free.
Personal experiences are the key,
Incorporate these with methodology,
Add a touch of your personality
Give it one big stir with your magic stick
Perform it and hope they don't think it's ####

Best wishes
The Amazing Tony Webs
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
Here is the way I do it....

First: I take any object, that I don't know any trick about... no cards, balls, thimbles, rings, coins and so on. Maybe a comb!

Second: I think about what could be done with this comb and only with this comb. E.g. the teeth could be missing, the handle switch sides and so one. (A colour change could be an effect, but it can be done with other objects too, so colour changes are out of question)

Third: I think of methods to do this.

There you go.
phillys
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of phillys
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 20:18, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
I have come up with a TON of origianl concepts, and I am only 13 years old! What I do is I play with my cards or coins or other objects until I discover something new. I kind of have a knack for it, so another helpful tip is to come up with a great, clever name for a non-existent effect, and think up an effect that would suit the title. When you have a concept in mind try different sleights and moves that will bring your dream routine to life.

Michael Kras

Haha... I think the others here should read your threads before taking you seriously.

Quote:
On 2007-03-27 00:50, Spellbinder wrote:
That's interesting, Michael. Eleazar Goodenough, who is 9 years old, seems to come up with his effects in much the same way, by just playing around with various objects. He doesn't limit himself to standard magic things like coins and cards, but when he is walking through a Dollar Store, his dad tells me he is always getting "in trouble" with store clerks for handling the merchandise and making items do magical things right in the store. Of course, his dad is always there to bail him out and buy the stuff he says he needs. We have learned that when he says he's got an idea for a new trick, we'd better pay attention.

You're a genius, my friend. It's so subtle that it hurts. *grins*

To contribute to the thread, I'm with the camp that encourages people to run through as many experienced magicians as possible about the effects that one has come up with. Maybe it already existed just that we didn't know it did. These veterans will know because these guys read a lot. Like, A LOT. So, there's really no harm in getting help from them.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
523 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 00:19, Michael Taggert wrote:
First start NOW and keep a journal. write down everything even the wackiest stuff.

Best advice you can get. I try to have paper and pen close to me at all times. I have lost many an idea before I started doing this.
Lord of the Dragons
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Lord of the Dragons
There is a dvd by Jay Sankey. I am not sure whats its called at this moment but its fantastic. I am still not able to come up with new effects on my own but this dvd helps. My problem is that I don't enough moves or sleights of hand or whatever you want to call it to actually come up with something I deem good enough. So my advice to you is to learn all that you can and get this dvd. That should help you alot.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
It's good advice to learn as much as you can - Moves aren't everything though. A lot of the best effects you'll see marketed use clever gimmicks, but a lot of the time you'll want to create something really organic and impromptu and that's where your knowledge of sleights comes in.

When creating, I like to come up with a really rough idea of what I want to do, come up with a million and one ways to do this and by the end, something completely different will have manifested itself!

D.
Producer // PenguinMagic.com

My new book :: Astral Psychometry. Modern Mystical Mentalism.
Magic Cafe members get 20% off - Use code MAGICCAFE at checkout!

https://deechristopher.rocks/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/astral-psychometry
monkeyguitar10
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of monkeyguitar10
You should watch Sankey's how to create your own magic. It is great for that kind of stuff. Also if you just think that any effect is possible like pulling a car out of a deck of cards, I am sure nobody has thought of that one. Use a hot wheels car or something. That would be cool.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I have an essay which may be of help to you... I know it has helped many young magicians in the past. Please PM me for details, if you wish.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How do you come up with your own effects. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL