The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do you say? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Whenever I have someone up to help, I always spend a min or two talking to them to relax them. I've noticed that on The Magic Café, the same gags are mentioned all over the world. "Are you married?" "Where do you work?" "How long have you been called Mary?" etc etc. What other one liners do you use, and what else do you say to relax the children?

All the best, Billy
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
One of my favourites for a girl is:-

"is that your own face, or did you buy it from a pretty girl shop especially for the party"
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Not so much what I say but more a mannerism adopted. Without boasting I (and my wife) pride ourselves on being able to get the very shy, frightened ones to take part. We all have to be very careful about physical contact with kids these days, which is sad, as this is what tinies need as they are very tactile. But holding a child's hand for just a few seconds works wonders. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I don't use any specific lines (although I LOVE Clive's "pretty girl face" bit).
I just chat with the youngster for a few seconds to make him or her comfortable -- things like "have you ever helped a magician before?"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This is what I call Assistant Interview Bit of Business.

• Name Game: Joking with their name, using Rhyming words (Billy...Silly) (Den... A Hen)
  • Age Play: Different Ages (6...26)
  • Married: Done with Boy and Girl on Stage
  • Hand Shake: Continuly shaking hands, bopping magician in the face, stomack, etc.

These are mini bits of business with multiple lines.

David Ginn in his Kidbiz book has numerous one liners for comedy greetings as well as lines for them to hurry up to the stage.
Dennis Michael
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Den is right-Kidbiz has a lot of good stuff, I just got it yesterday and im already on page 80. If you don't have it I suggest you wgt it, it helps A LOT! Josh

PS. Buy directly from David, its a little cheaper! Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
"Ace is correct" IMHO.

It is not what you say but the attitude in
which it is said.

Of course this does not mean you can
get away with being rude.

Nigel and I love it when a parent,
teacher .... comments that they
could not believe the reaction or connection we get from a usual shy child.

This also does not mean that it works every time. Sometimes it is best to pull back.
I like to work the crowd prior to starting the "real show".

Actually I realized along time ago that the
"preshow" is part of the show.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I always chat to the kids while I'm setting up the show, silly chats about stupid things, my favourite one I use with a birthday child as i'm setting up and waiting for his/her friends to arrive is:
"How many friends have you got coming?"
"How many boys?"
"12"
How many Girls?"
"10"
"How many Elephants?"
Giggles etc "I havn't invited any elephants!"
Surprised and aghast "You havn't invited the elephants, whoa you are in trouble, do you know what happens if you don't invite the elephants?"
"No"
"When you wake up in the morning you'll find they've dressed your action man up in barbie clothes" (vice-versa for a girl) loud laughter.

I talk about all sorts of stuff and vary it depending on the age of the child.

Like Aceparties I also gently hold the hand of the very young and shy ones, only for a couple of seconds while I do my intro chat with them when they first come on stage, and it does help relax them.

Another favourite of mine is:

"Where do you work?"
"I don't work anywhere I go to school"
"Are you a teacher?
"No!"
"Are you a dinner lady?"
"No!"
"I know what you do, you clean the toilets don't you?"
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Very Funny!
I can tell a good kids entertainer by if they can make me laugh I'm 15 and some kids entertainers just say the most stupidist stuff and I just find it so funny I love the repetive shaking hand routine
stu-di-doo
View Profile
Regular user
Cumbria, UK
160 Posts

Profile of stu-di-doo
I like mis-sayings (is that a word??) for example..."how are you?" "i'm fine" "you're brian, sorry, how are you brian?"

Only problem is to remember not to do it too many times to the little ones!

Stu Di Doo
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2407 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
"I don't want to embarrass you, but do you know that someone has stolen several teeth right out of your mouth? Do you have tooth burglars in your neighborhood? HAS ANYONE ELSE LOST TEETH? [Hands go up] IT'S A CRIME WAVE! KEEP YOUR MOUTHS CLOSED!!!"
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Whazzat you lost your tooth? Oh No! Have you thought of placing an ad in the paper someone might turn it in!

On another note I usually chat with the kids for a few mins before a show and put them at ease. It helps a lot as the kids feel comfortable with me when it's time to perform.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Quote:
On 2003-01-19 15:21, Harris wrote:
"preshow" is part of the show.

There is a very succinct & valuable lesson for those who missed it. Thanks Harris.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1576 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2003-01-18 16:44, Emazdad wrote:
One of my favourites for a girl is:-

"is that your own face, or did you buy it from a pretty girl shop especially for the party"

LOL!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1576 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I like the one, "Where are you from?" If they are at a public place and say here, I turn and look around and say nice place. If they say (enter city) say Sorry? when they repeat it I say I know I heard you the first time I am really sorry. Old but faithful.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What do you say? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL