The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lights and music controled via laoptop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I am in the process of putting together a illusion show that will be of minimalist design --- think Appl computers meets the magic community in design aspects. Anyway... due to my small budget I do not plan on having a large crew to start so I wanted a way to choreograph my music and lighting for my shows. is there any way to do that? Woudl I need psecial lights? What software?
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
You would want to have DMX controlled lights and use Elation Compupro. once you have it programed you can use a wireless 10key on your body or prob to start each cue. you can get Compu-pro from springtree.net and get help with learning how to use compupro.
Jason
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Cool thanks, much appreciated

I just checked out your website... it looks like you use lighting in your shows...I am very new to lighting for shows.. and back drops. how many lights do you use. are they positioned int he front and back? What about backdrops?
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Purple,

For the Elation Compupro software talk to Kevin from Living Illusions, he is a supplier, expert in my opinion. The software does have some ram and speed requirements for the laptop.

He can answers all your questions. I belief that you can control the lights and music "scenes" with hotkeys, so many computer remotes should do the job.

G0THIKE
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Purple,

Jeff Haas posted this website a month or so ago: http://www.alienapparatus.com

Download a demo copy and give it a test drive, it maybe what you're looking for.

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I knwo this might some dumb...but what does DMX mean?

Quote:
On 2007-03-26 15:30, Grandillusionsmagic wrote:
You would want to have DMX controlled lights and use Elation Compupro. once you have it programed you can use a wireless 10key on your body or prob to start each cue. you can get Compu-pro from springtree.net and get help with learning how to use compupro.
Jason
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
DMX-512 (Digital Multiplexing)is a standard language or protocol. It allows lighting, controllers, effects, foggers, hazers, etc and control desks to communicate with each other. It is a universally accepted language around the world.

A universe is 512 channels. Most intelligent lighting fixtures run on 10-30 channels.

Hope that's a start for you.
Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
PurpleMonk,

I am not sure what your budjet is, your type of show and I am assuming you are not aware about the pricing of some DMX lights.

You might want to send Kevin an email. He could put together something for you.

G0THIKE
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
This is all great information. Kevin I will be sending you an e-mail withint he next few days with my ideas of what I would like my stage settign to look like and how to incorporate lighting into it
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
With software and such do you think it would eb possible to do a whole show and have the lighting and music all programmed?
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Purple,

In contrast of what you might have read on other threads. A laptop offers the most flexibility than any of the "professional" systems, with software you can control all your lights and music programmed with each other. Professional touring shows, use laptops to control their shows, they usually use more expensive software.

Trust Kevin he knows what he is doing. Ask him for a demo software product and you can play with it. The software is amazing and the package costs less than the other software.

Winamp does have a DMX plugin which is free but it doesn't have as many bells & whistles, its runs on a PC.

Do you have a Apple Powerbook?

G0THIKE
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Yes I am running an apple power book as well as a pc.
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Kevin I pm'd you a week or so ago...just wondering if you had a chance to check it out?
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
purplemonk,

Did you go to this website:http://www.alienapparatus.com

I think they have what you're looking for.

Peace.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lights and music controled via laoptop? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL