The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Gaffed padlock (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
I am interested in purchasing a gaffed padlock that can be fully inspected,
for an escape routine. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks!!!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Talk to Mark Cannon,

CannonsGreatEscapes.com

They sell several
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
You can also make your own gaffed padlock. just do some research.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
If you let me know what you want it to do< I'm sure I can build you one.
Aidan
View Profile
New user
Niceville, FL
27 Posts

Profile of Aidan
I have a G/C Master #5 due to arrive here any day. I ordered it from Cannon's. I'm going use it with a bare chest, body wrapped chain and standard handcuffs locked together across my chest, with two spectators holding each end of a wrapped cloth or cape around my torso to expose my pants pockets and head.

I'm hoping the lock is adequate to provide a very quick escape. I'll be back to let you know what I think of it.
Integrity is all that is truly yours, everything else, can be taken from you in an instant!
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Just my two cents. don't make the lock suspicious, if you assume its a regular lock so will the people. for example if I'm showing you a card trick and I have here an ordinary deck now all of a sudden the mind is on the deck and why? when you do a coin sleight such as the french drop, you don't look directly at your hands and say watch as I really take the coin with my left hand.

I think too many people who try escapes get caught up in the mechanical aspect of it just as an illusionist sometimes gets caught up in the trick and not the performance

if you tell someone not to look at something they are going to look so just don't focus on the lock
you are an actor, put the focus on the outcome
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
Aidan
View Profile
New user
Niceville, FL
27 Posts

Profile of Aidan
MY LOCK ARRIVED!!!

George- You might be satisified with a standard "G" lock. I ordered the "G/C" lock myself, but I'm also using standard issue cuffs. It's pretty much an ordinary lock... FULLY inspectable, till you set it! Then your counting ALOT on a delicate bit, and then you don't want any careless handling. It would be GREAT as an extention to connect 2 chains of short length, as long as it's in reach. I'm strongly considering this use as no one would be concerned with you connecting your chains to make them long enough to use.
Integrity is all that is truly yours, everything else, can be taken from you in an instant!
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Cool Thanks!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
From the description of your escape,,,why do you require a gimmed lock?

Ken
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
I guess I would have to say the simplicity of it, & speed.
Why, do you have any suggestions?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Mysterious:
I cant seem to seea description of what you had in mind for the escape. Did you send a private mail to Ken? Or is the description of the escape idea posted on a differnet thread?

Dave
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Dave Matkin

No I did not pm Ken or post it on a different thread.
I had just mentioned earlier in this thread:

<<<<<Posted: Mar 26, 2007 7:51pm
I am interested in purchasing a gaffed padlock that can be fully inspected,
for an escape routine. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks!!!>>>>>

Hey if you or Ken has any advice let me know,
I have never perfomed an escape with a padlock.
Thanks
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
As far as a better description, I want to escape from four chains and four padlocks, one for each limb while locked to a chair.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
OK!
You know the stories about Houdini going to visit mediums down you?
They used to be tied up with a length of rope. Houdini would volunteer to tie them up - he would cut the rope into 4. He used one for each leg and wrist. Needless to say when Houdini did this the spirits failed to materialise.

It is harder to escape from such a tie (not that it is not impossible). What are you planning on being chained to? One lock and chain per limb - onto chair? – On to table?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
In most chain escapes they just drop off of you it`s hard to make them stay on,,even if chained and locked tightly,,,useing a padlock with a long bow acts like the old oval escape !!!!

Hence my question why use a gaffed lock.

Ken
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
Dave I was thinking of doing the escape from a kitchen chair that has arms
(But now I’m not sure).

Ken I have learned the hard way lol.

I’ve never used chain or padlocks before & picking a lock in front of an audience sounded like it would look cool.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4416 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well if you want to look like you are picking a lock with great skill but want it reliable then yep a gaffed pad lock would seem ok to me. Possibly an E Z pick and use a jiggler - that can be done one handed. Cannon do an easy pick lock the does not need picking as such but looks like you pick it. That might do you if you want to look like you are picking your way out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Gaffed padlock (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL