The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Versatile Backdrop System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shazammagic
View Profile
New user
Maryland
32 Posts

Profile of shazammagic
I'm in the market for a backdrop framework to go with my existing curtains. Ideally I'd like about 8 feet wide, 7 feet tall, and 4 feet deep (to cover side angles). I'd prefer not to use tripods since legs will be visible, but haven't found any products or designs that would suit my needs.

Suggestions? Even if a good design is no longer being manufactured, I'd be able to build it out of aluminum and have it work. Thanks in advance for your comments!
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I recently came accross this... looks cool... depending on your needs

http://www.onlineeei.com/drapes.cfm
shazammagic
View Profile
New user
Maryland
32 Posts

Profile of shazammagic
Not bad, and a reasonable price for what they offer. I travel with some sandbags that I'm sure would secure the flat plates well for outdoor venues.

Thanks purplemonk!
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I think if you combine those backdrops with the banner ideas foudn on this forum it would look pretty cool.

I really wish I coudl find professional rigging for backdrops...that could also house lighting and stuff -- nto sure what it would all be called, therefore my difficulty searching or finding it
shazammagic
View Profile
New user
Maryland
32 Posts

Profile of shazammagic
Yeah, my current setup is an EZ-Up tent framework, with curtains that attach to three sides (view a photo of it here: http://shazammagic.com/images/shazam_backstage.jpg ). It's great except for the depth: since it's an 8 foot square, it's just as deep as it is wide, which has been difficult at a few venues with shallow stages. But it puts the sign in a great spot, and provides a nice theatrical background to work against.

I also have a lighting rig that consists of two tripods and a 10 ft. truss. It'd be possible to buy something of that nature to integrate a simple curtain and lighting. Although ideally, the lighting would be on two tripods nearer the audience (generally called lighting towers or trees) that illuminate you from the front, as opposed to backlighting you from the curtain. I got my truss system from Musician's Friend ... not a bad price for what is offered:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/M......u=450825

Click here to view attached image.
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
I like your logo... and the lighting trusses are really cool. So you are saying that ideally I would want two light towers on each side facing me? Could I not use the truss and have it face me... or well, I guess thta would cause a visiaul problem for the audience right?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Versatile Backdrop System (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL