The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Not molten lead in the mouth but... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Molten wax.
I have heard of this being done, even read some of the technique. Has anyone here ever tried it? Have a reliable source about how to do it?
Lead seems a little daunting, but wax (Considering that it is not poisonous and won't actually burn skin on contact) seems a little more reasonable.
Any thoughts?
Gwyd
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I've PMed you.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of needledoc
The trick with the molten lead actually uses antimony, because of its low melting point and the fact that it looks like lead. I am not sure if that is toxic, but I wouldn't want to be the first to find out.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I had read that as well, in a verrrrryyyy old book (more like a pamphlet) on how sideshow stunts are performed. When read in context with the rest of the "methods" in the book, I think you can realize that the author wasn't informed at all and chances never even tried any of the stuff that he was giving advice on. The wikipedia entry for antimony has this to say -

Antimony and many of its compounds are toxic. Clinically, antimony poisoning is very similar to arsenic poisoning. In small doses, antimony causes headache, dizziness, and depression. Larger doses cause violent and frequent vomiting, and will lead to death in a few days.

Doesn't sound like something I would ever try.
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Also on the Wikipeida article... "Melting Point 1167.13 °" I don't think I'll be putting that in my mouth anytime soon, thanks.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
The molten lead stunt does NOT use antimony. I repeat it does NOT use antimony.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you know of a Plumber (From the old school way of thinking) Ask about the safety cord used in oil fired boiler installations.

It consists of two tabs which are fixed together with a low melt point substance which is the colour of lead,,,if the boiler over heats or catches fire, this cord is positioned above, and upon separation cuts off the oil supply.

Replacement tabs (You will need a couple of dozen or so) Can be had very cheaply, melt down into a block and you will have an endless supply of molten lead compound.

I first did this on the BBC way back in 1968 and incorporated the finger dip into the lead as well,,,it`s a pretty strong opener for a stunt type act and worked well on the bally front of the Wall of Death for the whole of the 1972 season.

Ken
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
From what I remember reading in some of my Houdini's notes is ???????????????????
See the PM I sent to you
Have fun ................ don't have too much lead for your tea,
...........................I find it heavy and I can't pee.

Best Wishes
The Amazing Tony Webs
Ps.did you get my email...alas poor Oric....
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Watch out, Houdini also explained fire eating by saying that the performer swallowed an asbestos sheath so as not to burn their throat. I don't think I need to comment on that one. While he will always remain one of my favorite intriguing and slightly tortured personalities, he also was among the uninformed when it came to certain things.
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
Arnt we all?
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Well of course, difference is that from everything I've read and heard, Houdini never actually performed any of the sideshow stunts he performed. Best of luck coming up with a method for doing this successfully and safe.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
He had a stand in?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
He was a magician... Smile
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Sorry - my stupid...

Destiny
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Actually think that was partly my fault, just read my post and what I meant to say was "Houdini never actually performed or even tried any of the sideshow stunts he wrote about". So hope that clarifies it a little better.
Tony Webs
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
True or not true ? He still kept notes that revealed various methods...its how they are used TODAY that matters in context with the question at hand.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Your are very correct in that which is why I enjoy reading about the history of this art, I'm just curious if you are talking about the methods that he had detailed in Miracle Mongers and Their Methods?
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
That Houdini, how the hell can he make it to national news!!

they won't exhume him.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Tony Webs
Miracle mongs show their methods
and fools and their money are easily parted.
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Ok
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Not molten lead in the mouth but... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL