The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Jacket vs. Vest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I never used a dove vest before: abbottmagic.com I have been using my jacket all these years. Has anyone used a vest before? If so, what are the pros and cons? Thank you in advance.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, this topic may answer some of your questions.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=13
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you, Dave. It took me thru a long adventure of web searching. I like the 12 pocket vest about 1/4 down this page: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kyschun/balloon/supply.html
At this moment it seems like the vest will be best for me. But the real question is which one will be best for the doves. I still have a lot of studying to do. Thanks again.

Here is another area they mentioned it earlier: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=13
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, unless you are planning on producing more than 6 birds, a 12 pocket vest is a little bit of an overkill. I don't know anything about the vest you have linked to. I purchased mine, years ago from Abbott's. In my opinion, 6 pockets is sufficient for most dove acts. It's all a matter of what you are doing in your act.
Where the magic begins
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
My Abbott's vest has 6 pockets. I'm 5'10" 250 and it fits well, though I wouldn't suggest it for anyone bigger. I have been happy with mine since I wear a different coat in just about every show.
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just ordered the dove vest from Abbotts. Thank you for your support guys.
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
I am a bit heavy (6' 230lbs). I had to modify the vest to make it fit well, so I used elastic banding on the back. Otherwise, I like the way it drapes over a jacket load and it works well under a single-breasted blazer.
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Hello! I got my vest made after buying the Tony Clark videos. It is great!

Bairefoot
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the information gentlemen. I am anxious about receiving it. I will keep your advice in mind.
that_magic_guy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of that_magic_guy
The only thing that I don't like about the vest is that since the pockets aren't pleated the doves don't come out as smoothly as I would like them to.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magic guy, go to a stationery store or place that sells office supplies and get some plastic sheet protectors. They are used to protect documents in a notebook. Cut one just a little shorter than the length of the pocket and wide enough to line the pocket. You can fasten it inside the pocket with tape if you want but it isn't necessary. When you produce your dove, it will fly out so fast, it will surprise even you. You can also do this with regular pockets if you wish.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Abbotts told me they will make it tomorrow. They also told me I will have it before this week ends.

I really like it. I do prefer the vest over the jacket.

I had the neck/back straps altered for the right fit. I also had the clippings from suspenders sewn to take place of the front bottom straps. It makes it quicker to remove and set up.

I already purchased 10 black shirts so I will be ready to use it anytime.

I performed with it Saturday using "Dove from Newspaper" and "Ribbons to Dove." Everything worked good. I will get two more doves for the twin production from silk.

I am going to order the 12 pocket one too just encase. It looks more of a regular vest. Probably any color shirt can be worn with it. I will let you more about it after I make the order.

I use to have seven doves in the past. I sold most of them because my stage illusion shows decreased because of the economy. I was just using the self-working props for a while. Now I feel comfortable performing dove manipulation in houses with a close crowd. At first I thought it would not work.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2007-04-07 15:51, Dave Scribner wrote:
Magic guy, go to a stationery store or place that sells office supplies and get some plastic sheet protectors. They are used to protect documents in a notebook. Cut one just a little shorter than the length of the pocket and wide enough to line the pocket. You can fasten it inside the pocket with tape if you want but it isn't necessary. When you produce your dove, it will fly out so fast, it will surprise even you. You can also do this with regular pockets if you wish.

Excellent suggestion, Dave!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thanks. Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
After I spoke to Kelvin, he added some more pictures dealing with the 12 pocket vest. http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kyschun/balloon/supply.html

I sent him the money order Monday (yesterday). It will take a little time to arrive because it comes from Hawaii. I will let all of you know about it when I receive it.

I got the 12 pocket vest today. Every pocket is not the same size. I can put both of my hands together in the middle outside pockets (I hope it can hold a d*** snuggly). I can barely fit four fingers in the top outside pockets (no d*** can fit in there). I can fit one hand in the other pockets (some tightly, some loosely).If it was sewn equally, d***s can fit in all pockets in a balanced manner.

The only way to use the inside pockets is if the vest is unbuttoned. I do not think that would look too good for a performer on stage. If the shirt is black, it would help hide the unbuttoned vest.

It does have elastic band on the bottom as a belt loop. But they are too low for my belt. I can alter that like I did my Abbott's vest. I put clips from suspenders on them to clip on my pants. That makes it easy to remove without taking off my belt.

I like the fabric the most. It is slippery. It is shiny also. It helps hides the pocket layers. I'm wondering will it attract too much attention because of the shine and gloss.

A big possible disadvantage is the buttons. They are on the right. I hope a string from a harness will not get caught on a button while in action.

I just got finish testing the 12 pocket vest. When using the Invivible D*** Harness in the outside middle pocket, he has so much space he turned around backwards.

The pockets are not deep enough to completely hide General Grant's harnesses.

I can see what General Grant was talking about how his pockets are made where nothing will get stuck as it comes out. The 12 pocket vest has that sag where it does not run smooth when coming out. It is not good when using the Invisible D*** Harness.

Because the satin material is so soft, I truly advise working on the d***'s nails as General Grant and Tony Clark discussed so she will not get stuck.

Dynamike
Steve Anderson
View Profile
New user
Texas
30 Posts

Profile of Steve Anderson
Quote:
Dynamike wrote:
The only way to use the inside pockets is if the vest is unbuttoned. I do not think that would look too good for a performer on stage. If the shirt is black, it would help hide the unbuttoned vest.

It does have elastic band on the bottom as a belt loop. But they are too low for my belt. I can alter that like I did my Abbott's vest. I put clips from suspenders on them to clip on my pants. That makes it easy to remove without taking off my belt.

I like the fabric the most. It is slippery. It is shiny also. It helps hides the pocket layers. I'm wondering will it attract too much attention because of the shine and gloss.

Dynamike, Maybe I am misunderstanding you here. Your vest should NOT be visible to the audience so the shine and gloss should not matter. You should also be able to wear any color shirt you want. Are you wearing a jacket with it too?

Steve
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Steve is correct. A dove vest is a substitute for sewing dove pockets in your jacket and should not be seen. It fits under the jacket and should not be buttoned .
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-04-24 08:05, Steve Anderson wrote:

Dynamike, Maybe I am misunderstanding you here but
your vest should NOT be visible to the audience so the shine and gloss should not matter. You should also be able to wear any color shirt you want. Are you wearing a jacket with it too?

Steve

Check out the 12 pocket dove vest: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~kyschun/balloon/supply.html
It is different from the average 6 pocket vest. It has buttons also.

Dynamike
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, the pictures of the vest are difficult to see but I can't imagine having a dove vest that buttons. This is my opinion and I could be entirely wrong but to me, it seems that Kelvin has designed this vest for multiple uses. He has loops on the back for parasols which is an act in itself. The pockets are different sizes to accomodate different items. You could put silks or something in the small pockets. The normal size pockets would be for doves but in any case, you can't wear the vest for dove productions and button it at the same time. The purpose of a dove vest primarily is to make loading simple. You load the doves first and then put on the jacket. The vest should only come to the edge of the jacket and not be seen.

You couldn't possibly load 12 doves and not show bulkiness when you go on stage.
Where the magic begins
Steve Anderson
View Profile
New user
Texas
30 Posts

Profile of Steve Anderson
Dynamike,
I looked at the pictures and they are hard to see clearly. I don't know why it would have buttons unless it is meant to be buttoned when using it differently than a dove vest. I have used several different vests and all of them did not button. The vest rested just inside the jacket and was never seen at all by the audience.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Jacket vs. Vest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL