The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Nine by Philemon Vanderbeck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I msut say, this set of notes is fantastic.

For just Nine dollers (that's one dollar for one completely usable trick), you get nine effects, nearly all of them workable, for me at least. they all have a mathe theme, but are direct, and impressive. I was sold mine via-email, and I can say this is the only magic manuscript I have ever read in one sitting, staring at my computer. Probably my FAVORITE effect out of all of them was Masonic Numerolgy. Think of a micro numerology reading combined with a serial divination. Perfect, and completely impromptu, if you can borrow a scratch of paper and a pen. All nine routines were great, one of particular note puts an old gaffed card you probably have lying in a drawer to use, and another is here you divine how much a spec has spent on an imaginary shopping spree, the amount found on your credit card.

I can't rave enough aabout it. And look at the price!

Please, Mr. Vanderbeck, keep creating, and I will keep buying.

Best,
Monte
Powers of the Mime
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Powers of the Mime
This sound's cool. How do I get one?
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
Yes indeed, sounds great. Do you have a link ? Please ....
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
chris35
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of chris35
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I contacted Philemon here at the Café. I'm sure a PM would work (it did for me!!)

Best,
Monte
PWRIS
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of PWRIS
Many thank´s, I have just ordered ...
Paul W. Randall
"Englishman in Germany"
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Just got it. Looks promising.

John
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I just got mine - for $9 this is a steal! Great work, sir.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I finally got around to reading this. There are NEW THINGS here....Just what I'm looking for Smile
And some good 'Cloaking" of the old things too Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
LOVE NINE!!!
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
317 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
I just wanted to chime in. I received NINE a few days ago and loved it. I absolutely enjoyed the style of writing. The effects are very straightforward, and only require a minimum of memorization. Three of the effects I was already using, as they are readliy available. But I still enjoyed the presentation that he gives for them. Although math based magic can seem transparent, the routines are well disguised. don't write off these types of effects until you try them. Very recommended!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I just wrote to Philemon. I was given this book to read by a fellow mentalist because he knew I was working on some mathematical stuff. I had never heard of it. It's excellent!! You are going to find some interesting spins on mathematical effects. Well worth the price and more.
By the way, in the note I sent Philemon I said I had discovered an easier way to do the Suduko formula that's mentioned. If he allows it I will give it to those that buy his book. Send him your nine bucks right away because this is a very good value.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
By all means, I give Greg permission to send his Sudoku technique to all purchasers of NINE.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Anyone that wants it can email me here... you definitely won't understand it if you don't have Philemon's book so get it first.

Greg
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 15:12, tctahoe wrote:
LOVE NINE!!!

Amen to that.

Just goes to show you that even puzzles can be entertaining, if folded into an intriguing mystery.

I love the way the manuscript ended. It's a clever "O. Henry" sort of thing (with a Hitchcockian twist). An intersting presentational idea at that.

I liked it.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
I just got Greg's new sudoku technique. It is indeed hard to explain, but once you get it...It's FAST.

Great stuff again from Greg.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Okay, update: a word of caution about my quicker solution. The only pattern that it won't work on is if the spectator gives you the numbers 1 through 9 horizontally. So if the top row, from left to right, reads as 147, and the second row is 258 and the third row is 369 then this quick solution won't work. A big thanks to my friend Federico Luduena for figuring that out.
Apparently he loved the solution and went to town doing the combinations. So if the spectator starts to give you that simple pattern then just tell him to make it hard for you and mix up the numbers.
Here's a coincidence: the first guy I did this to is a math guy and he just called out numbers 1 through 9 put I was putting them in vertically so it worked. I think I might have lost confidence if the first attempt had failed. That was a stroke of luck.
Greg
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I'm slightly confused...

Greg, your solution should work with any pattern of numbers, as the numbers in a Sudoku puzzle are really only 'symbols' (and can, in fact, be anything).

However, I think I see your point, that if a spectator calls out the numbers as you've indicated "1, 4, 7, etc." then the pattern will be obvious.

In order to overcome this one weakness, when I'm performing for a crowd, I have different people call out the numbers, which usually prevents any clear pattern from being seen.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks for that, Philemon. I feel dumb in that I didn't even bother to try it out with that configuration. I just assumed Federico had worked it out.

Oh, well. Everybody, get back to your Sudoku puzzles!!

Greg
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It all works. An apology from Federico who jumped the gun:

Ooops. I mixed the two grids. When trying the consecutive numbers both ways (horizontally and vertically) I mixed the two grids. Both work, although there are strings of 1 through 9 in order.

But the multiples of nine are there. And the possibility of forcing the entire grid if you choose the numbers (with different outcomes).

Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Nine by Philemon Vanderbeck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL