The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » For Restaurant Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
Hi all, I'm an italian magician, and the next week I will start to work in a restaurant. Is my first "magic" job.
I have some questions for other restaurant magicians!

The first one, maybe stupid one, is:

how many decks you use every week/month? I have to order Bicycle decks from the USA/UK, so I want to have an idea! I do, like all of you, some tricks in which the spec signs the card, and so this question went to my mind.

There are some effects that you absolutely recommend for a restaurant?

How you know if people at the table want to see some magic?

Maybe these are stupid question, but I'm a "restaurant newbie", so don't be do hard with me Smile !

Thanks,
Davide
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Okay, these aren't stupid questions, just standard questions that get asked a lot. I'll answer quickly though instead of dismissing the thread.

1) I go through a deck a night when working a restaurant, but I always have at least one if not two spare decks, decently broken in, in case something happens. Specatators with sticky fingers, food, liquid, anything could happen to cards. Be prepared.

2) Sponge balls is high recommended, and there are many magicians that disagree because they don't like them, but spectators do like them. A lot. I do not recommend borrowing a bill. If you are doing bill switch routines, just take out your own bill and have it examined. This is another topic of controversy, but having spectators fishing around for wallets when they're seated is not only a time waster but often annoying to them.

3) You don't know if people want to see magic. Craft your introduction line so that it gives them a choice. Make it clear right off the bat that if they don't want to see anything, that's perfectly okay and no hard feelings. Then make sure to tell them to enjoy the rest of their evening.

Do some searching around in this forum and you'll find invaluable information and much, much more than what I've posted here.

Brian
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Brian answered te questions for the most part, but I have one. What are you doing accepting a restaurant gig if you have to ask THESE questions. I can understand some of them, but how do you know if a table wants to see magic? If you don't know the answer to that one, then maybe you should have thought twice before you said 'yes' to the job.

It's easier to keep good bridges by simply passing the gig on to a more qualified magician, than to do a bad job and risk ruining the opportunity for future magicians. This was not an attack, but you should re-read your post. It sounds childish, and something like a 12 yr. old kid would write.

Best,
Steve

P.S. I think I just felt a bit like Danny Doyle with that response...lol.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Well, we all had to start somewhere. First restaurant gig and he wants to know how to get it done. You can't know everything before you have your first gig of any particular type. At least he's asking before he does the gig instead of recalling what happened to us after it, and then finding out important information. Good luck to you David.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 20:20, IlDaDe wrote:
Hi all, I'm an italian magician, and the next week I will start to work in a restaurant. Is my first "magic" job.
I have some questions for other restaurant magicians!

The first one, maybe stupid one, is:

how many decks you use every week/month? I have to order Bicycle decks from the USA/UK, so I want to have an idea! I do, like all of you, some tricks in which the spec signs the card, and so this question went to my mind.

There are some effects that you absolutely recommend for a restaurant?

How you know if people at the table want to see some magic?

Maybe these are stupid question, but I'm a "restaurant newbie", so don't be do hard with me Smile !

Thanks,
Davide

Davide:My suggestion is to use the Café quicksearch function at the top.You will find all the information you need has been answered ...many times over.The least of your concerns at this point is how many decks you will need.Concentrate on searching for how to put an act together and strategies for approaching tables.

You must do this for yourself.It is all there...waiting for you.

Best&good luck.

Rich
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 21:36, Magic_Steve wrote:
Brian answered te questions for the most part, but I have one. What are you doing accepting a restaurant gig if you have to ask THESE questions. I can understand some of them, but how do you know if a table wants to see magic? If you don't know the answer to that one, then maybe you should have thought twice before you said 'yes' to the job.

It's easier to keep good bridges by simply passing the gig on to a more qualified magician, than to do a bad job and risk ruining the opportunity for future magicians. This was not an attack, but you should re-read your post. It sounds childish, and something like a 12 yr. old kid would write.

Best,
Steve

Everybody was a beginner once! No matter how much you've practiced and routined, that first job is still fraut with questions.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I guess I was the only one that got the impression that he was trying to throw something together last minute. I'm sorry. His post just read wrong for me. But in my opinion, some of those questions like, What are some effects you recommend for rest magic? They seemed rather childish. If he already is a magician, he would know that it's very hard to throw a new routine together in a week, and then throw it out in the public. But once again, sorry if my post was a bit harsh.

Best,
Steve
IlDaDe
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of IlDaDe
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 21:36, Magic_Steve wrote:

Best,
Steve

Sorry, if I never worked as a restaurant magician, how I can know if someone at a table want to see magic?
Second point, maybe my post seems the one of a 12years old kid, but I think that is for my bad English (im italian), and not for the contents.
OBVIOUSLY I have some routines, 5/10 minutes every routine.
I was only asking if there something that is perfect for restaurant magic, I wasnt asking for a routine.

Quote:
On 2007-03-30 07:00, Magic_Steve wrote:
I guess I was the only one that got the impression that he was trying to throw something together last minute. I'm sorry. His post just read wrong for me. But in my opinion, some of those questions like, What are some effects you recommend for rest magic? They seemed rather childish. If he already is a magician, he would know that it's very hard to throw a new routine together in a week, and then throw it out in the public. But once again, sorry if my post was a bit harsh.

Best,
Steve

Here I can only copy what I wrote before:
OBVIOUSLY I have some routines, I have routines that I can do at the "bar zone" of the restaurant, and routines for the tables.
I was only asking if there is something that is perfect for restaurant magic, I wasnt asking for a routine.

Quote:
On 2007-03-29 20:40, BrianMillerMagic wrote:

2) Sponge balls is high recommended, and there are many magicians that disagree because they don't like them, but spectators do like them. A lot. I do not recommend borrowing a bill. If you are doing bill switch routines, just take out your own bill and have it examined. This is another topic of controversy, but having spectators fishing around for wallets when they're seated is not only a time waster but often annoying to them.

Brian

Thanks a lot for informations, really usefull.
I have a routine with spongeballs and you're completely right, people reactions are great. Someone always start laughing, someone ALWAYS try to squeeze the spongeballs to see if the balls are gimmcked.. is funny to perform and is funny for the people!

Thanks , Davide

ps: sorry again for my bad english
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Davide:Your English is excellent.Much better than my Italian...the only word I know is ..ciao. Smile

If there is something you can't find the answer to through the Café Quicksearch feel free tp PM me.I'll help if I can.

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-03-30 07:00, Magic_Steve wrote:

Best,
Steve

Your not the only one. I am just tired of singing the same song alone. Nice to have someone to harmonise with LOL.

Everyone does have to start somewhere though. I just wish that PRIOR to landing the gig, that guys would think to answer these questions.

Also the bridge burning thing is right on. Here is another example. Comedians often have trouble finding work in the town they started out in. Owners never think of them as anything but an "Open mic guy". That wat the first impression.

Carefull about where you start is what Steve means, and he is right. I hope this wasn't harsh.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Actually I thought that post was very harsh, especially because english was the poster's second language..... everybody needs to stop the bashing... this site is about helping magician's, not getting kicked in the ***....

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
With all due respect, second language or not he SHOULD HAVE AN ACT prior to selling it.

I simply pointed out that burning bridges is not a good thing. I am so sick of this crap about "feelings" and helping.

Don't you think the part Steve mentioned about bridge burning is helpfull? Oh heck I give up. Do what you will.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
To me Davide sounds quite sincere.Taking a close look at his post's,it appears to me that he has some skill's..a good start.

Steve..you were starting to give some good advice ..until you made the ['childish'...and 12 year old'] comments etc.Hey man I have been guilty of the similar in the past[sometimes justifiabaly so IMO}[sometimes not].I do not think it is beneficial.

Imagine if you were a USA member of a foreign forum,how difficult it would be to get your points across in the foreign language.

Davides language skills are excellent,but I would bet he is a little tentative in his queries.

Let us lighten up a little,and think before we post.There are real people on the other end,that have their own struggles,problems,issues,etc.

My new 'personal' policy is:If someone is blatantly looking for a short-cut to success...I am going to inform them 'directly' that they are going about it the wrong way,and make some suggestions.[Nothing personally insulting]

If I detect sincerity that perhaps is not being communicated[for whatever reason] perfectly,I am going to try to help 'right the ship' without personally attacking that person.

We can still be firm when needed[but in a civil way].

Best.

Rich
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Rich. I still stand by my opinion. I am sorry if I came off as sounding harsh, but here's my reason. Let's break down his original post a bit.

He asked how many decks everyone goes through. Im my opinion, that question varies, and anyone that performs regularly should have a rough idea of how many decks they will need per night, and add in a couple extra in case of any accidents.

I can give him that question about any effects that are great for restaurant magic. Been there myself a few times recently. Smile

How do you know if the tables want to see some magic? You ask them. I believe that if you already have the gig lined up, then you should already have answers to questions such as these.

I could understand if he didn't have the gig already, but to accept a gig and not be prepared, that's just not a smart move. Not only does it burn bridges if you do a bad job, but it can also hurt your career in the long run (in that area), because word will spread. It might not be fair, but it is true.

Rich, I hope you understand the reason I said those things, as I believe that any professional, despite being from another country, would know to be prepared BEFORE the gig.

Best,
Steve
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Steve:I do understand your sticking with your comments listed in your most recent post...However,you did not mention your totally unecessary comments as to age and childishness etc..
You do not know this person..he may very well be a humble person,and someone old enough to be your father.

Just because you or any of us are currently performing,does not give us the right to lambast another performer who is innocently seeking information so he can live his own dream.

With these type cases..and there will be more,the best we can do[Unless they are blatantly looking for a free ride]is to suggest 1.use the Café search. 2.if you need any further help after you search..let us know.

*I refuse to consider helping outright lurker's looking for a free ride[and they do eventually show their hand].

However,we should set an example here on the TH&PS forum...that if one is sincere,he/she will be steered in the right direction.This I believe,in the long run,will preserve the integrity of our specialized art.

Rich
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Rich, while the 'childish' remark may have been a bit out of line, and I apoligize, I do think that some of those questions should not need answers, especially if he is performing at a restaurant in a week. He should already have a routine worked out, and know how many decks he will need for a performance.

And I don't think the word, 'lambast' is right to use in this situation. While I may have come off a bit rude, I think that's a bit over the top.

And yes, I agree, we should set an example on here on the forum. When I first came here, you and the many other members here were/and still are doing a fabulous job.

Best,
Steve
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2007-03-30 23:37, Magic_Steve wrote:
Rich, while the 'childish' remark may have been a bit out of line, and I apoligize, I do think that some of those questions should not need answers, especially if he is performing at a restaurant in a week. He should already have a routine worked out, and know how many decks he will need for a performance.

And I don't think the word, 'lambast' is right to use in this situation. While I may have come off a bit rude, I think that's a bit over the top.

And yes, I agree, we should set an example on here on the forum. When I first came here, you and the many other members here were/and still are doing a fabulous job.

Best,
Steve

How soon we forget.

Quote:
On 2006-11-14 21:59, Magic_Steve wrote:
Hey all. First off, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am 16 years old, and I have been performing magic for 8 years. I mainly work with cards, but because of my goal of becoming a professional restaurant worker, I've pretty much expanded my repitoire (sp?). Anyways, I have an interview this Friday to work at Red Robin (if anyone has ever heard of it). Here is the routine I am planning on performing for the General Manager.

I am going to start off with a brief ACR. Then I am moving on to Waving the ACes. Nothing to complicated. Because there are a lot of little kids that visit there, I am going to end with my sponge ball routine.

Any suggestions or advice is extremely apprechiated!

Thanks!
Steven

Steve, the thread goes on with many people giving you great advice. You act on several of the (great) suggestions and follow up with

Quote:
On 2006-11-17 15:50, Magic_Steve wrote:
Hey all. I just got back from my Interview at Red Robin. I think it went ok...but I'm not entirely sure. She seemed somewhat interested, and when I told her I could come in on a Friday or Saturday, she immediately said no. She said it would either be Tuesdays or Thursdays if I got the job because that's 'Kids Night'. I guess that's ok, it atleast shows that shes thinking about it. Then she asked what I charge, and I tried to get around that. But she was persistant, so I said about $40-50 a night. Then she told me she would have to talk to regional and she would call me tomarrow. How does this sound?

Anxiously waiting...
Steven

There is more conversation and advice about knowing what you are worth etc, but again, some great advice and a few more suggestions. Yes, you may feel you were better prepared going in to your first gig (or audition) and maybe you were, but how would you have felt if someone came on and picked on your spelling or grammer or whatever? Davide said in his first post he is an Italian magician and he has to order his Bicycle decks from the US or UK, so maybe you you had read his post before telling him to reread his own post you could have avoided the "childish" and "something like a 12 yr. old kid would write" comments. And as far as your "simply passing the gig on to a more qualified magician, than to do a bad job and risk ruining the opportunity for future magicians" comment, what if someone had said that to the "16 year old" going to the Red Robin for an audition? Please don't think I'm picking on you as I was one of the guys pulling for you, but when I read your post on this thread they just hit me the wrong way. Sorry for the rant!

Davide, good luck and I wish you all the best.

-b-
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Anyone who has ever read any of my books or contributions to magic magazines and e-zines knows where I stand regarding paying your dues before accepting paying gigs. however, there is also always going to be a first time for anybody who actually gets up the gumption to go out and perform for money. I think that some simple questions are perfectly legitimate.

Were I to give any advice on the matter, particularly for younger magicians, it would be to offer to work in exchange for a meal for a "probation period" (say 6-12 weeks), preferably at a restaurant owned or managed by a friend or friend of a friend. Earn your stripes a bit, ask questions, get to know both the restaurant business and the magic business a little, take notes every night after your shift regarding what did or did not work and why, etc.

While many people want to forgo this type of thing because they want to make money now, in the long run it pays major dividends.

Another thing I'd suggest if you belong to a magic club: We used to have a club in the Boise area that met in the banquet room at a local pizza place. They let us use the room and gave us free pizza and drinks, and then after our meeting, we'd go out and do table-hopping magic for the patrons. There was a sign to this effect in the lobby. It was a great opportunity for the younger and less experienced guys to get their feet wet while being observed by guys who'd been around the block a few times who could give them pointers. It's worth suggesting to your club officers.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
See I would completly disagree about clubs. In my experience they are more of a detriment to guys who want to work. IT may depend on your area.

Second of all let me say this. I have screamed this for years. Have a restaurant job such as bus boy, waiter, or whatever. Learn the restaurant business. Learn the lingo. Learn how to be out of the way, flow of restaurants. It is a strange animal at times, Rich will tell you this also I KNOW.

If you can go in and be able to speak the lingo, and fit in, your odds of landing and keeping jobs increases tremendously.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Probably true of a typical club. But for a while there, I guess we had something pretty special in Boise.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » For Restaurant Magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL