The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbit In Hat Puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Any ideas with it? Thanks, Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Never used it Josh, but strange that you mention this because I was thinking only yesterday about getting one. I think if I had one, it would have to be of a very high quality. I've seen some about, but they look like a child's puppet. I'll also be interested in other comments on this. And if anyone does use a rabbit/hat puppet, how good is the quality of yours, and does it make much difference????

All the best, Billy. Smile
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
The best rabbit in hat puppet is from One Way Street. I got mine from there at the end of last year under advice from Flourish Dude. It is excellent. I just started using it at Christmas and have put it into every show since then. Even though I don’t really have a solid routine for it yet the kids just love it. Younger children seem to relate to the puppet so easily, especially when you build up a bit of conflict between you and the puppet, they all want to take the side of the rabbit.

One Way Street also sells a book called Realm of the Rabbit which contains a lot of ideas for routines to do with the rabbit. The routines are designed with a gospel message in mind, but they are still complete without the gospel aspect. All of the things I have been doing with the puppet came straight from that book.

Billy & those of you from the UK or Australia will no doubt be familiar with the character Sooty from the Sooty Show. I used to love watching it as a kid. I just think of the rabbit as being Sooty. Sooty did not talk and needed Mathew to paraphrase everything. That is exactly how I do things with the puppet and it feels quite natural. (for those of you in the USA, Sooty was a simple glove puppet bear that did not talk & had his own UK TV show starting in the 1950’s though to the mid 1990’s, http://www.sootyandsweeps.com )

Below picture: One Way Street Puppet on left
Scene with Sooty in a top hat from the Sooty Show, circa early 1960's

Click here to view attached image.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Thanks Andy, I'll have a look at that site in a min. As you said, Sooty is really a basic puppet. But here in the UK, he was a huge hit with children. I think Sooty's creator's son took over the show eventually (that could be Matthew who you mentioned Andy), but I'm not 100% sure.

All the best, Billy
zoom
View Profile
New user
USA
8 Posts

Profile of zoom
Hi Guys,
I use the rabbit in the hat puppet as a routine with a volunteer. I made my puppet from an old top hat, cut a hole in the back, glued black stretch cloth in a tube and attached it to a rabbit puppet and the hole in the hat. My puppet does not talk except to me. He also wears doll glasses because he didn't eat his carrots when he was growing up. We use a chick pan and a 260 balloon, popped and restored with the volunteer's help. My rabbit is always shocked when the long balloon pops instead of fitting into the pan, but the kids are convinced they really fixed it.

If a child says that's just a puppet, I cover the puppet's ears and ask the children not to tell him that because they may hurt his feelings. (Sometimes I tell the adults he'll be in therapy for years Smile )

I'd love to hear other routines using the rabbit in the hat puppet.
Fumbles Zee Clown Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
When a child shouts it's a puppet during Scamps routine, I often say "Of course he's a puppet, do you know why I use a puppet? Do you know how messy my arm would be if I used a real dog, Now I know he's a puppet, you know he's a puppet, but he doesn't so don't tell him"

They sooon forget he's a puppet,As all of you that use puppets know the first one to shout it's a puppet, is nearly always the first one to start shouting when the puppet does something silly.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
My Wife bought me the large size that you see on some of the sites. I will be using it when I do the hospitals and homes this spring.

How do you "bring him out" and "put him away"
as that part seem kind of awkward for me.

Also do you put him down when you need both hands. And do you set him up so he can "watch" you perform? Do you have a running conversation?

Ok you can see I know nothing about Puppets.

Mine doesn't look like the one on one way street. It is a taller hat and a skinny rabbit.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Billy,
Now that I understand your performing style a little more, you might find Dan Garret's rabbit in hat routine to your taste. I would also look at Sammy Smith's and I think from the two you would have a nice routine!
I bought a Dulux dog it looks like the ones practical sell for about £50.00 but I bought this as new condition at the Portsmouth sale two years back for a fiver! The only difference is that the entry for this dog is at the belly. I attached a fake hand (the old supreme funny hand) to the bottom and because it is partly covered by the dogs fur even the adults are purplexed as to how it works
Phillip
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Phillip,

The fake hand is a wonderfull idea! I like the idea of driving adults nuts.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi Phillip, At the moment I'm still looking for a rabbit in the hat. But as I said, I want a realy good quality one. All I've seen so far is the cheapy ones which I'm not too keen on. Can you remember the rabbit in a hat that Waine Dobson used to use. I know it was controled by an additional person, but that's the sort of quality I'm looking for.
I use to have a dog puppet similar to yours, but gave it away a couple of years after buying it because,
a) I couldn't get comfortable using it, and
b) Eamzdad and another friend of mine (Chris Wish Magician) were both using the same kind of dog puppet. So I didn't want to use the same as them. We're all good mates and try and keep what we use as different as possible. ps: I've seen Emazdad's routine and it really is FIRST CLASS. (That's a fiver you owe me Clive)If I can come up with a routine half as good with the puppet I want, I'll be well pleased.

I'll look out for the two routines you mentioned to try and get some ideas, and adapt them to my own style. Thanks Phillip,

All the best, Billy
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Billy,
David Risely had some nice ones on his site but I cannot find the webpage. perhaps Den might now?

I bet mine and Emazad's dog routines are way different. At one point my dog needs a wee so he goes behind my table. but he cocks his leg to high weeing over the top and onto the kids!

Phillip
Phillip Smile Smile
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I want to see your show Phillip, it sounds really funny.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dave Risley has a picture of his rabbit puppet on his website and Dave sell a video tape called Glove Puppetry 101.

The video tape is not the best quality but it does talk about his rabbit in the hat routine. Dave is a "gentle" magician and performs mostly in Day-Care centers. He talks about the many rabbits in the hats he has used and the one he likes is not a "real" looking puppet. David states he wants his puppet to act real and the ability to hide his head, wipe his eyes when sad and have lots of movement. Most rabbit puppets in the hat can't do this. Dave has the rabbit wisper to him. His routine is nice and very similar to Sammy Smiths. Dave also sells a rabbit kit so one can put a vest on his rabbit, do a three carrot ring routine, a fake egg and other stuff so his inter-play brings a character out of the puppet. One time in a hurry he forgot to bring his puppet and the kids were so disappointed. It has become his "trademark" and has gotten him lots of repeat business. He never leaves home without it.

Sammy Smiths video also has a nice card trick routine which the rabbit does. Both of these entertainers of the day care crowd offer much to those who want to do this market.

I have Axtell's Rodney Rabbit, which is in the same tux as the one I wear. The routine is not complete so I haven't introduced him yet into any of my shows. Having a tough time learning to do vent work and changing my voice into a rabbit sounding voice and charactee. I also bought Folkmanis Rabbit in the Hat, to do some younger kid show, but that's on my to do list.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI Billy,
I found the site that I saw the bunny hats on and it was not Dave Risleys but his friend Steve Kissels site link below.

http://www.magicalwizard.com/mirthworks_products.htm

I have ordered from Steve and seems reliable
Phillip
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
One Way Street has a great (IMHO), 60 page book titled "Realm of the Rabbit" by Douglas Wathen. The book is entirely devoted to working with Rabbit in Hat puppets. It contains advice and tips on the staging and interaction with the puppet, plus several routines that can be used or adapted to suit your style.

The book does have a slight Christian Gospel flavor to it, and a few Scripture references are included.

I found it to be an excellent (and the only)reference for RIH puppetry.

It was published in 1998, so those of you do not like "outdated" material should not have a problem with this.
Doug
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Hey I have a kind of nice ending for using the rabbit in hat puppet & discovered. It starts like a plain good bye. The bunny gets too cheeky so I ask him to wave good bye. Everyone waves good bye to the Bunny. I proceed to pack him away in my box when he insists on coming back to wave goodbye again. I allow it, then a third time the bunny wants to come up & wave good bye. I get impatient but allow the folly while all the kids delight in waving goodbye a 3rd time. As I finally pack him away the 3rd time, he tries to climb back out & I stop him explaining he has waved good bye enough for one day & put him right back. As I apologise I have a look don’t see situation where the rabbit pops his head out waving good bye. I don't notice. Half the children usually are waving back to the rabbit & the other half are telling me what he is doing. I catch him & scold him a little & as I apologise it happens again. The rabbit waves goodbye & I don't notice. Kids usually delight in this the more often it happens & I repeat it a few times. It never seems to wear thin, even after 5 repetitions kids find it funnier each time.

Finally the rabbit explains he wants to kiss goodbye the birthday girl, or any girl. I reluctantly allow it. This gets a real cute moment where the rabbit leans over his hat for a kiss & the girl slowly inches forward. If played right it gets a real 'Awe' from the adults. Immediately after the kiss the rabbit takes advantage of being back out & tries to jump about & kiss all the children while I wrestle him back inside the box.
Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
One Way Street does indeed put out a very good rabbit in the hat puppet that looks great.

I also know that Sammy Smith sells one with a great routine that he does. Now his routine is really quite nice and you can get a lot out of it. However, I never did like Sammy's hat puppet all that much. It is just too small to be seen really well.

I also know that John Domalewski of Philadelphia used to make a very beautiful hat and large sized rabbit puppet. I do not think he makes them any more, but I know many dealers used to carry them and some still might. I have this version and it works great for me.

I hope this helps.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I use One way streets and my friend Doug has a great book with the puppet.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
I use the folkmanis RIH puppet. Very good quality, but a little small if you have large hands.

I second (or is it third) the recommendations of Garrett's and Smith's puppet routines.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Does the One Way Street RIH puppet allow the rabbits arms to reach to cover the rabbits eyes and ears? Also is there room in the hat to put stuff in for the rabbit to use?

One little gag you can do is to say your RIH wants to perform a trick... change one type of candy into another. He takes out a piece of gum and lays it on the brim of the hat. He get out his wand waves it around then picks up the gum and throws it out of the hat. He's changed the piece of gum into a 'gumdrop'.

Any other little things like this
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbit In Hat Puppet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL