The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbit In Hat Puppet (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Chess,

Anyone ever answer you on whether the OWS puppet can reach it's eyes?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I saw someone do this with a rabbit. He said that the rabbit will produce a dove!

And, one, two, three, the rabbit really did produce a dove!

Well, it's "DOVE" brand soap. :>
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
My Rabbit in the hat is from Folkmanis. Not very expensive but very well received. Young children just adore him.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=FLK2269/223.0
They have a cute Raccoon in a garbage can and bunny in a water sprinkler
http://folkmanis.com/Frames/2Handpuppets/raccoonincan.htm
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-01-22 18:21, Emazdad wrote:
When a child shouts it's a puppet during Scamps routine, I often say "Of course he's a puppet, do you know why I use a puppet? Do you know how messy my arm would be if I used a real dog, Now I know he's a puppet, you know he's a puppet, but he doesn't so don't tell him"

They sooon forget he's a puppet,As all of you that use puppets know the first one to shout it's a puppet, is nearly always the first one to start shouting when the puppet does something silly.

I have noticed this in my shows too. The rabbit, and Gwendlyn the Duck, are puppet tyes. I believe it is the way you present the effect that makes them forget about the puppet and focus on the magic. After a show I have kids want to come up and meet and pet both.
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
I am presently finalizing my routine for Rabbit-In-Hat...using the rabbit puppet from http://www.onewaystreet.com together with the routine suggested in the text "Realm of the Rabbit"

All I can say is that the products are wonderfully suited to most rabbit routines.
Steveo
View Profile
New user
Shreveport, Louisiana
25 Posts

Profile of Steveo
My assistant bought mine for me for Easter. I never even thought about using it, but one day I was preparing for a kids show. And I realized that I could use the rabbit as a prop. So I put a little ball of wax on his nose. I had the child pick a card. Then I "losed" it in the deck (forced it to the top). I unorderly spread the cards on my table. I told my assistant that I would keep my thumb on the card the whole time (she was working the puppet). She watched the whole time, so she knew where the card was. As I was spreading the cards around on my table I was explaining the fact that rabbits have a great sense of smell. At that time my assistant walked over to the child and had the rabbit smell his hair and clothes etc. Then I asked Freddie (the rabbit) "Do you think you will be able to find it?" Then he nodded yes. Walked over to the table smelled around. Looked up nodded yes again. Stuck his nose down on the chosen card. The card stuck to the ball of wax (which was on his nose).

I enjoy that trick because it is a comedy trick, but at the same time it is still an actual trick. The kids loved it when I did it. You can use this idea if you wish. If it helps you out, be happy to use this idea to create your own style. Update me on your improvments.
"Just Enjoy The Art You Are Witnessing; Don't Destroy It."
-Steveo
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2004-09-02 22:33, Steveo wrote:
... So I put a little ball of wax on his nose. I had the child pick a card. Then I "losed" it in the deck (forced it to the top). I unorderly spread the cards on my table. I told my assistant that I would keep my thumb on the card the whole time (she was working the puppet). She watched the whole time, so she knew where the card was. As I was spreading the cards around on my table I was explaining the fact that rabbits have a great sense of smell. At that time my assistant walked over to the child and had the rabbit smell his hair and clothes etc. Then I asked Freddie (the rabbit) "Do you think you will be able to find it?" Then he nodded yes. Walked over to the table smelled around. Looked up nodded yes again. Stuck his nose down on the chosen card. The card stuck to the ball of wax (which was on his nose).

Do you have the kids mark the card?
PURE GENIUS!!!I like that one... May I use it?
WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Steveo
View Profile
New user
Shreveport, Louisiana
25 Posts

Profile of Steveo
Hey WR. I don't mind who uses it; just be sure that you do the trick for the kids enjoyment. Don't do the trick just b/c you like it. Try it...if the kids react right then you can use it whenever. Thanks for that compliment. I'm only 17 and that makes me feel like I'm performing the art of magic the way it should be performed. Good Luck with it, and I wish you the best of luck your magic.
"Just Enjoy The Art You Are Witnessing; Don't Destroy It."
-Steveo
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I would say never use cards for children, card tricks go down like a sinking ship, I know from experience even the kids snap cards don't work.
Matt
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Again I beg to differ from magicmatt's view on cards. I have used Mark Leveridge's jumbo Cards Across; Chu's magic's Stung Card, Zig Zag Card and Lucky Lady by Ton Onasaka to great response from kids aged 7 and above.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2003-10-07 12:11, ChessMess wrote:
Does the One Way Street RIH puppet allow the rabbits arms to reach to cover the rabbit’s eyes and ears? Also is there room in the hat to put stuff in for the rabbit to use?

I know this is an old thread- but I was wondering if anyone with a One Way Street RITH puppet could answer the above question? I have been amassing quite a large RITH puppet collection due to the fact that none of them seem right, so I hope that someone can help me out.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Magicshore
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of Magicshore
Marvello

I have the One way street rabbit. yes, you can hold items in the hat, as long as they are not too bulky. Secondly, I'll assume you're right handed, you can cover both eyes but keep in mind that your thumb is one of his hands and because your thumb is short, it barely covers one of the eyes. However, your pinky( his other hand), is long enough to reach over to cover his other eye also. You may find that you have to crunch your hand a bit to fully cover both eyes but I think this has a natural look anyway. Also, you will be able to hold down his ears over his eyes but of course you must use your free hand to pull the ears down. This also allows you to have him let go of one ear as if he is peeking, which is cute and the kids love that. Hope this answers your questions.

John
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-07-27 15:11, Magicshore wrote:

Marvello

I have the One way street rabbit. yes, you can hold items in the hat, as long as they are not too bulky. Secondly, I'll assume you're right handed, you can cover both eyes but keep in mind that your thumb is one of his hands and because your thumb is short, it barely covers one of the eyes. However, your pinky( his other hand), is long enough to reach over to cover his other eye also. You may find that you have to crunch your hand a bit to fully cover both eyes but I think this has a natural look anyway. Also, you will be able to hold down his ears over his eyes but of course you must use your free hand to pull the ears down. This also allows you to have him let go of one ear as if he is peeking, which is cute and the kids love that. Hope this answers your questions.

John

Thanks - that is exactly what I wanted to know. I also found out that Steve Kissel's RITH puppet is $38
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I also use a rabbit in the hat puppet that I combine with computer baby. The computer baby is a pre-recorded voice of a very upset baby.

I tell the kids that I recently adopted a bunny and that he sleeps over here in this box. I tell them that the man at the pet store told me when I adopted him that whatever you do, don't wake him up or he gets really upset. I peek into the box and hit the play button on my pa system and the baby starts crying louder and louder. This is a real riot with the kids and even the adults. If you practice really hard, you can manipulate the puppet and people actually start thinking he is real. I even have adults come up afterwards and say, "wow, you had me believing that rabbit was real."
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Todd, thanks for that excellent tip showing how you can creatively mearge two effects together. I've had a david Ginn Computer baby lying around for ages and the original effect where you wrap a cassette tape recroder with a diaper and pretend its a baby doesn't work too well nowadays coz a kid has rarely seen such tape recorders (given that they're the Ipod generation!).
Come to think about it, maybe it can work with the Axtell Drawing Board too! But my advice is to convert the audio tape to CD or MP3 format first for better integration with most present sound systems.

I wonder if I can use your concept of combining the two effects in my show?
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
MagicBern:

I do not use the David Ginn tape but am aware of it. The one I have is on CD and was made by Nathan Roberts. He has recorded a CD full of great music for entertainers. I got mine from Barry Mitchell.

As far as the PA goes- I have a small unit that I hide behind the box (the box is really a case covered in a baby blanket) so that the kids cannot tell anything is there. This way it sounds like the baby crying is really coming from inside the box rather than the main PA system. Kids are smart enought to know the difference! I know because the first 2 times I did it I produced the baby voice from my main PA and all of the kids shouted, "it's coming from the speaker." I bought the little unit which runs off of a rechargeable battery and it m has made a world of difference. The audience is in stitches before the puppet even comes out!

When the part comes where the baby says he wants a bottle, I produce a gigantic baby bottle and act like I am feeding him. After a few seconds he burps and then I bring him out. At this point everyone is laughing so hard the rest is easy. I've got them from the very beginning!

I came up with this on my own but anyone else is free to use it. I have had nothing but great luck with mine. As a matter of fact, he steals the show and many people tell me that one of their favorite parts was when the rabbit came out.

Just come up with some really funny lines and you are ready to go. The tough part is making him look real and practice makes perfect!

Best of luck to all!
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Thanks for your generousity! I will definately revive that effect - I didn't know there was an updated version of this from Nathan roberts! I also like the idea of the seperate sound source - maybe an ordinary cd player or walkman with mini speakers!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Try it! Just make sure that the seperate PA is loud enough that the kids laughter won't take over. I use a Fender P10 system that is very small and comes with a built in rechargeable battery. It's plenty loud enough! I've even used it for school shows with 350 kids and it works out great!

P.S. The cry baby can be found on MagicTunes from Barry Mitchell.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Thans for the reference, I was gusessing it was on this CD too! However, can I ask if the original source (ie. David Ginn circa 1980s on audio tape as well as in one of his books - KidBIz I think) was credited on the Nathan Roberts CD? Or was it thrown in as another isolated sound effect rather than a fully-fledged magic routine as David Ginn had used it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rabbit In Hat Puppet (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL