The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Legal to Have Two Valid, Current Drivers Licenses from Two Different States? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Interesting question. A friend of mine wants to move here to California from Pennyslvania. When he gets here, he has to get a California driver's license. But he wants to keep his old Pennsylvania license as well because it just got recently renewed for a couple more years. Is this legal to carry two valid drivers licenses from different states even though one is only living in one state full-time?

I told him that when he goes to the California DMV to get his new license, they are going to ask him for his old one first. They did that to me when I moved here permanently. He said, though, he is going to tell them that he either lost his Pennsylvania license and no longer has it or that he simply does not currently have a valid driver's license. By doing that, he will be able to keep his Pennsylvania license as well as get issued a California one.

Any comments?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They will ask him how he got to the DMV, if he drove he is in deep doo doo. I just left California and they were pretty determined I have my license taken away when I got my new one. If your DMV was like the one I dealt with in Cali he should be prepared to give up the PA one or they will just stone wall him. That being said I did know people in California who had other licenses it was just a question of their validity.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I'm fairly sure that eligibility for a new license AND to retain an old one is (are both) based on your state of legal residence, buffered by a short period to allow for transition. In other words, a short while (maybe 60 or 90 days) after establishing a new legal residence, your new state of residence will require you to get licensed there, and after a similar term your old state of residence will consider you ineligible to retain your old license.

Even if no one takes the old one away or formally declares it void, if it were called into legal question (say if it were presented in a traffic stop, an accident, or used for ID that was checked back to the state) the report would come back "this license isn't valid."
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Why does he need two of them anyway? What good will it do him? It's not like having dual citizenship...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Does that mean he is only allowed to drive in California and Pennsylvania, but no other states...??
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
It is my understanding that you can have as many licenses as you wish, including fake (novelties). However, the one with your current address is all that is matters for legal documentation; using the others could be a crime. In my state, they send license renewals through the mail. They also expect new residence to get new licenses within 30 days of becoming a permanent resident and/or upon a change of address.
POOF!
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Here is an interesting question for Hoodrat:

Why would your friend want two licenses? there is no point in having two, its not like your friend is a citizen of two countries. ditch the old one.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
In Mississippi, at least, it is illegal to have multiple driver's licences (see below) in at least some circumstances. So it is certainly not legal everywhere, in all cases. Maybe it varies by state.

I wonder if multiple driver's licences would also enable you to vote in different states, in the same election?

More importantly, though, I believe possession of multiple driver's licences is just the sort of thing that sets off law enforcement agencies these days. As noted by others in this thread, there is no good legal reason for having or needing multiple licences, so why have them unless you are collecting them for nefarious purposes (hiding your true place of residence, possibly double voting in elections, selling them to others, etc.).

Note that some of the 9/11 terrorists made use of multiple driver's licences to hide their activities. And, ever since, the USA is doing its best to try and crack down on lax standards relating to the issuing of driver's licence cards:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006......=NEWISVA

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/222593_licenses03.html

---

MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended

SEC. 63-1-76. Possesssion of multiple driver's licenses.

No person who drives a commercial motor vehicle shall have more than one (1) driver's license. Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished as provided by Section 63-1-69, Mississippi Code of 1972.

SOURCES: Laws, 1989, ch. 482, Sec. 4, eff from and after January 1, 1990.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
"No person who drives a "commercial motor vehicle" shall have more than one (1) driver's license."

Note that's Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDL).
POOF!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
All of this kind of relates to the "National Drivers License" or "Real ID" that the government wants to enact. On May 11, 2005 the United States Congress passed the Real ID Act as part of its Homeland Security Measures. Part of this act was the creation of national standards for the issuance of state driver’s licenses (DLs) and identification cards (IDs).

The act establishes standards, procedures and requirements that must be met by May 11, 2008 if state-issued driver license/identification documents are to be accepted as valid identification by the federal government. Individuals who don’t have the new license/ID could have difficulty boarding planes, entering federal buildings, opening bank accounts or perhaps even renting cars.

The move to a national ID card/driver’s license is getting strong negative reactions from many states and about a dozen have active legislation against it. The revolt against the new national driver’s license began in Maine in January 2007 and spread quickly to Georgia, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Vermont and Washington state.

Some states (Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming ) have active legislation against Real ID.

Missouri state Representative James Guest (R) has formed a coalition of lawmakers from 34 states to file bills that oppose or protest Real ID.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2007-03-31 16:38, kregg wrote:
"No person who drives a "commercial motor vehicle" shall have more than one (1) driver's license."

Note that's Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDL).

I was aware of that. Check my post, I said "in at least some circumstances".
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Usually when you get a new dl in another state your old dl gets cancelled, however sometimes it slips through th cracks. as far as it being a crime you would have to check that states statutes to see, evry state is different. you could have a dl in one state and have a state id in another
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is It Legal to Have Two Valid, Current Drivers Licenses from Two Different States? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL