The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » A little survey for the workers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Verricobl
View Profile
Loyal user
BC
256 Posts

Profile of Verricobl
For the workers out there; wether you work close-up in restaurants, bars, table hopping, walk around, corporate work... I'd like to know where you put your props while performing. As you are performing, do you just work with your pockets or do you use a belt bag? ..Or maybe you have other means. Let us know also what venues you usually perform in.

Thanks..
imagine the possibilities... endless...
Brian S. Tanner
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Brian S. Tanner
When I work a walk around gig, I just work in and out of my pockets, both my pants and jacket. If it's close-up show, I have a case with customizable(if there is such a word)compartments. I just sit the case on a chair next to me at the table and work out of that. Even during such events I still utilize my pockets, though not as much.

As for the types of venues, well they're usually private or corporate functions held at a rental hall or banquet facility.

I hope this is the kind of information you're looking for .
Judge:How do you plead?
<BR>Defendant:I plead insanity.
<BR>Judge:Insanity?
<BR>Defendant:Yep. I'm just crazy about that stuff!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
When I do restaurants, about 5 nights a week, I have everything in a busking pouch, Get in, get out, get money, get to a different table.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I use a converted MUDD pouch that has a belt loop. I keep my chop chup routine in there and a couple of other odds & ends. Here's a picture of the bag, the other items were from an earlier set up that I used.

Click here to view attached image.
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
152 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
I have various worker cases that I use in a corporate setting. Check out Target's Cosmetic section. You can find variou sizes cosmetic cases; aluminum, leather, and pouches at reasonable prices. In walk around, I work out of my pockets. Hope this helps.
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
Verricobl
View Profile
Loyal user
BC
256 Posts

Profile of Verricobl
Thanks everyone for posting. Now, I have a better idea of how to carry around those props with me...

Chad, nice of you to post a photo... That looks like a J.E. ring to me, correct?
imagine the possibilities... endless...
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Heya Verricobl,

Yes, J.E. ring, mouth buzzers, watch winder, part of the Dishonest Abe set (although I'm not exactly sure why I had only the medium sized penny without the actual penny or magnifying glass!), & a couple of gags that I got from Charlie Frye volume 1. I'll leave it at that to ensure gimmick security and maintain the secret squirrel code of ambiguousness.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I usually sell the company on me working off of a table. I set up in an open area and draw spectators to me if at all possible. This USUALLY works. The few occasions it hasn't, I have gone table to table or mingled on the ships deck with a few effects. Coin under watch, spongeballs, cigarette throught coat, maybe ambitious card. I prefer to use my table for my 3 shell game, spongeballs, Chicago Opener etc. I do a 1 cup routine using spongeballs ending with a kicker.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I work out of both the pockets in my pants and jacket. I may be adding pockets to vests, so that I can work in something that doesn't cause me to sweat as much. I also use a leather card case that clips on my belt.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
At formal gigs I use one of these under my jacket. Nobody sees it.
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aItem.cfm?itemid=64

At informal gigs I use this. I wear it on my hip or in back.
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aItem.cfm?itemid=2

I do keep items in my pockets but as little as possible.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
chr!s
View Profile
Regular user
newcastle
163 Posts

Profile of chr!s
Pockets.travel light is one of my life mottos!
its a little harder in summer when I tendnot to wear a jacket,but with a little pocket management,i end up good.
chr!sx
"you can't see your own rub-a-dub..."
-richard sanders
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
101 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
I've always felt that a real magician could just make stuff appear as needed, so I almost always just work out of pockets, and lot's of em. Shorty bollero tux jackets, tails, and sport jackets all have custom pockets, and some with topit. I've got two with Bobo chutes in em for coins to glass. Put that custom wallet to work for you by sporting some gaffed cards. My cig case can be glanced inside without suspicion, as long as my thumb is over the corner with the swami, the wax, and the IT reel.

If I need larger props for stage I carry an old leather doctors bag.
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
Lochlan
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Lochlan
I use the new aluminum looking suitcases. I have each of my acts in a suitcase ready to go ala "packs small plays big." For walk around magic I mostly use my pockets. I think it depends on your style. Some magicians use a lot of the Tanyo plastic stuff and have to use a trunk for a 15 min close-up act. I can get 30 min with the coins in my coin purse.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
For the private parties that I do strolling magic for, I use my pockets, and a pouch that I keep on my belt, and sometimes if I need to carry larger items or just more of them I use this nice CD case I found at Job Lot that has 3 compartments, and the last compartment has 3 small pockets on the back to hold decks of cards perfect, and it has a strap that I carry over my shoulder. It's small enough to not get in the way, but large enough to even carry 3 cups and their loads as well as many other things.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I had my trousers and jacket custom made with 18 pockets. Everything is organised in their own respective location. This helps me get prepared for the unforeseen situations.
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
Silver Case and behind a bar or I find a closet! I work for 45 min and then swap out! James 18 pockets...Your the man!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » A little survey for the workers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL