We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Pledge, Turn, & Prestige in the movie "The Prestige" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1201 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Had any of the rest of you ever heard of these terms used in this way before seeing that movie?

I had never heard them before, I'm I've pored over a pretty good share of magic materials over my life, and I usually retain quite a bit of it, on some level, but not these terms.

Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone else remember other sources for these terms ALL used together as they were used in the context of the film?

Jimmy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
No. The author has said in many interviews that he made the terms up for the book.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
As Bill said,

All made up terms by the Author.

Though I seem to have read somewhere that there was an English magic club called
"The Prestige Club".

No relation to the use in the book and movie though..........................

M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They aren't bad terms, though. In fact, they correspond roughly to something that is known variously as "thesis form" or "sonata form" depending on the art form that it is related to. Some people call it "sermon form."

You have an exposition, a development and a recapitulation. You state your thesis, you support it, you resolve it. You tell them what you are going to tell them. Then you tell them. Then you tell them what you told them.

In magic, the effectiveness of the resolution depends on how well you fool them and how fantastic the illusion is.

Remember, though. It's a story. That's all it is. The Illusionist is to magic as The DaVinci Code is to religion.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
Actually, "The Prestige" is the movie and book being discussed.

"The Illusionist" is another (much better, in my opinion) movie.

M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My bad. I knew it was The Prestige. I have both movies, and just wrote the wrong title.

For the magic, I liked The Illusionist much more. The Prestige did have some interesting twists in it, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I have to agree with Bill, the Illusionist was the best. The Prestige showed that all magic tricks have 3 parts, which in a sense is true. the vocabulary, if we had any, was not. There are some similarities in the two films... The main characters got themselves into some trouble.. plus the two entire films are illusions themselves..well sort of.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Well as a movie I thought the prestige was much better, specifically had a more creative/original script. While I liked the Illusionist the plot was very standard.

Gil Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Pledge, Turn, & Prestige in the movie "The Prestige" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL