We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » London (& UK) requirements to perform on the street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Allen Gittelson
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
145 Posts

Profile of Allen Gittelson

Can you help me find out what I need to do in order to perform on the streets of London & the UK when I visit there in the middle of March?

I am a regular performer on the streets of San Francisco, but I'm uncertain of the laws, police, etc. in London & the rest of the UK.

I've heard that the requirements there are considerably more formal than here in SF.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

Mental Wires,
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
I do not perform on the streets, but I believe that you will have to find out the individual Borough Council for each part of London, to be able to obtain permits and permission. If you are performing around the West End / Covent Garden, you will need to contact Westminster Borough Council. You can find them on the web. The Police are very busy and tend to be more interested in real criminals and vagrants. We also have a problem with 'busking' beggars from the eastern block countries(I use the term loosely)on the London Underground system. The Britsh Transport Police are always arresting them and the Underground is littered with C.C.T.V.
Covent garden seems to be the accepted area for street performers.
I wish you luck and when you are over give me a shout, I may come over and watch !

Regards Nitram London UK
View Profile
New user
Bradford, England
95 Posts

Profile of mslj
Hello Allen

Permits are usually required for most forms of street work - if you choose to go down the formal route that is and not just out and chance your luck.

Depending where you are, contacting the local Council - usually to the Licensing Department (will be in any phonebook) will get you the infomation you need. My local city charges £100 a day for the permit and have a 30 point information sheet with regards to the do's and don't's. i.e the need to have insurance, the agreement not to use amplification.

Good luck
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
For Covent garden you will require performance insurance and have to pay for a membership to perform. I think you may need to audition for some private places. :-(
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
Hey Allen let us know when you're here! I'll definately try and come watch.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » London (& UK) requirements to perform on the street (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL