The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Tray Differences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Hi,

Would like to use a tray to produce a solid-gray cockatiel.

1) Is the holding compartment large enough for this species vs. a dove?
2) What is the difference b/w the Balloon to Dove and the Gloves to Dove trays?

Thanks in advance - feel free to PM if anything is unpostable.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hi Karol, Producing a cockatiel can be tough in a closed compartment. I used to work with two cockatiels, but in close quarters, they are not so great. they do "talk" quite a bit, and they have sharp beaks which will eventually tear your apparatus apart. They will naw and peck at the cloth also, and you will have tears to constantly replace. not to mention the wood will get torn to shreds over time. Unless you have a very well trained cockatiel, it will be tough. Not saying it can't be done, but will be a challenge. Hope that helps answer one of your questions...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I agree with Thomas. For this trick you need a bird that goes to sleep in the dark. That is not a cockatiel characteristic. They explore!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@Bob and Sax

This is VERY helpful advice to me!

My cockatiel is well tamed and friendly, but I didn't know about these characteristics in closed quarters.

I assume the doves just gently nestle down then in the dark.

Can you recommend a non body-load effect of the same caliber to produce a cockatiel?

Since they require special considerations.

Thanks!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24067 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would consider a bunny production trick box/chest. It depends on if you are looking for a flash appearance or a natural take out appearance. Your bird might not peck at anything in a box shape if left in the object for a short length of time because she will have more space than a Dove Appearance Tray. If your bird does peck on the wood inside of the production box, you might want to fill the inside walls with a thin metal.

Here is a website with several flash/nonflash production boxes: http://www.misdirections.com/dove.html
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
What I love about the tray is it's sudden appearance.

BAM, it's there!

Would it be possible to line the inside of the tray with thin metal?

I haven't had one in my hands so am uncertain of the mechanics.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24067 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 13:27, Karol Kool wrote:

Would it be possible to line the inside of the tray with thin metal?

I haven't had one in my hands so am uncertain of the mechanics.

No, inside metal will not work for the Dove Appearing Tray. It might work with a strong leather. It will take some precise custom work. And remember she must not be inside for long. I'm not promising it will work.

--EDIT--

I wonder if Instant Dove will work. I never seen one in person: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&24
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
No Instant dove would not work. It would be decaptiated if it went exploring too much!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Can you produce the cockatiel as you would produce a dove using an invisible harness? One of the ways of doing dove from balloon is to use the balloon as cover, just as you would a silk or newspaper, and pop the balloon with a TT pin just as it appears. If you can get your cockatiel to cooperate, that might work.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Getting the cockatiel to cooperate would be the hard part... no? Smile
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
What, don't these cockatiels want to be stars!

What are the only good for, a Square Circle Smile
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24067 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I used some of my pets in a Square Circle. I never had any problems. But I never fooled with a cockatiel before. If they will stay calm, I see no problem. If she can fit in the parlour size give it a try. If the parlour size is too small, try a jumbo size one.

After showing nothing inside, there can be a way you can pull up everything at the end showing your cockatiel on a tropical branch like perch. It will take a small amount of custom work.

Dynamike
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Cockatiels, unless very tame, cannot be constricted. An IH will not work on a cockatiel, as the bird will naw right through in seconds with its sharp beak. Not to mention in the pocket before production. You can produce a cockatiel in a Dove Pan, but there again, the bird will "talk" once the pan is set.

I would suggest talking with Dave Womach on this one if you are interested, since he uses exotics in his shows, and he could give you some better suggestions. When I was using cockatiels, it got a little gruesome when they started biting. They were a great fly back bird, but as soon as they saw anything shiny in the audience, they wanted to know what it was so they would fly there, and bite the earrings of the women in the audience trying to get at the jewelry. Didn't need anyone injured from a puncture wound from one of my birds, so they just became my "stay at home friends" instead. They just were curious about things, and would always return, but "had to see up close" what it was they were seeing.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Your quote about earings cracked me up, Thomas.

It's exactly why I have some of them in my cocktiels cage to play with Smile

A limiting factor for me is also the length of its tail.

With that, I could try a Drawer Box just for fun Smile

I know they can be cut moderately back, but I don't know when before drawing blood.

Don't want to chance it without experience.

I know Womach does this on some of this budgies.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
All,

Also curious about the other part of my initial question, too:

"2) What is the difference b/w the Balloon to Dove and the Gloves to Dove trays?"

Do they have the same space for the dove?

Do they use the same method of reveal, just triggered differently?

Can the former be converted into the later easily?

Thanks!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Tray Differences (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL