The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Add wheels to ATA case (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Can this be done with basic tools yourself? If not, who would be able to provide this service. I couldn't find any casemakers locally.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Eazy! All needed are the wheels of choice normally 3" or 4" in size, some T-nuts and bolts (flatter the head the better). Most case companies add a small strip of Ply between the case and the wheels...using the Tnuts to connect the both. This will prevent major damage when a wheel gets pulled out for one reason or another.

Tools needed:
Drill, Tnuts, Bolts, wheels, Plywood, wrench! and your good.

Robert Jones
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
This is great info. Thanks.

Would the same method apply for installing a handle?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
afun14u
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
249 Posts

Profile of afun14u
Don't see why not...it's pretty easy to do and work with. And it is very stable. Let me know how it goes.

Robert
Empowering Kingdom Growth through Evangelistic Entertainment!
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
The handle install worked out well. I used the tnuts and the piece of plywood. I wondered about also putting a piece of metal with holes drilled for the bolts on the inside of the case for extra support.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Perrello
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to add wheels to an ATA case, you can do it with minimal damage to the case. Here's how.

Get a piece of 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch plywood that is just about as large as the bottom of the ATA case. Mount your casters to this piece of plywood. You can use nylon straps to hold the case to the base. If you want something that is more slip-resistant, install a couple of T-nuts on the bottom of your ATA case. Drill holes in the plywood piece that correspond to the holes in the ATA case. Use bolts to attach the plywood to the bottom of the ATA case.

T-nuts come in a couple of different styles. One style is made to put inside the case. The other has screw holes in the flange of the nut, so you attach it to the outside of the case. Both work equally well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Sorta off topic, but sorta not. I posted this on the workshop forums a couple of days ago and so far garnered only one response. It's about a case/performance table I'm making with schematics. Let me know what you think and if you have any improvements or suggestions.

You can find the link here"
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......26&1
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
I now have completed the cabinet. You can see pictures at my Flickr page below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/podcastrant......7737958/

The performance area is 24" x 20"

There are a couple of additions that have come up. I am going to need to install some magnetic door locks to make the doors stay shut. They tend to open slightly. I'll a picture of the wind guard (removable top) in a couple of days.

Good or bad, let me know what you think.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is beautifully done.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
It looks beautifully crafted - I don't understand your explanation of the upside down shelves on the doors?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I wonder if the upside down shelves would be better replaced with simple shelves screwed onto the interiors of the doors. That would shield the viewers sight and provide more height on the first true shelf.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Add wheels to ATA case (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL