The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Russian Manacle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Ian sent me what little info he had on the above.

That it might have been custom made by Houdini himself.

That it may never have come from Russia at all.

Does anyone else have any knowedge/pictures on this beast?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Wow, 83 views, and not one person knows more about the RM Smile That can't be, can it?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Did you try googling it or contact Ian. about it the Russian Manacle is well Publicized for Houdini it might of even been a Custom Job, does anyone know if the Real One Exists and was it ever Mass Produced.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
You might like to get in touch with Mick Hanzlik. He lectures on Houdini and if anyone's going to know more than the average fella I'm sure he will.

Ian's also a good bet since he made the replica that the Cannons sell on their site.

Apart from that I can't help you. Accept that you will be hard pushed to get much of a response from any of the working pros from now on since the outdoor season started this weekend with Easter, at least here in the UK it has.

Most drop by as and when they can, so you may have to wait just a little while. Till then I really suggest dropping a line to Mick and Ian, they're both on here.

Good luck,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I'll have a look through my Houdini library. There should be something there, as I have over 200 Houdini titles!

It may take a few days though, so if I find anything, I'll post it here.

It's the UKEA meeting next weekend, so I'll ask there if any of the guys have any info.

Regards

Mick Hanzlik
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Please see first line at the top, everyone

I have spoken to Ian already.

Wondering if others had any info also.

P.S. Thanks, Mick. That's a lot of titles Smile
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I have had a look through the handcuff section of my Houdini library, and although a few books mention the Russian Manacles, the information is all the same and seems to originate with just a couple of lines from "Handcuff Secrets"

There is a picture of the cuffs with the caption "The Latest Russian Manacle, 1902, one of the most complicated locks ever used in a handcuff"

There is also a copy of an advertising sheet from "The Houdini Scrapbook" showing the time that Houdini offered a complete handcuff act for sale. In the advertisment there are quite a few line drawings of handcuffs, including the Russian Manacle, but no actual mention of them in print.

You should find something if you go to http://www.handcuffs.org, as there is s feature on the famous "Europe's Eclipsing Sensation" poster, which mentions every cuff in the poster, with a great picture of the manacles.

Whether they were a one-off or not, I do not know. I haven't seen any before or since. Ian knows a couple of my thoeries about who made some of the strange handcuffs Houdini used, and one of those theories will be revealed in The Handcuff Annual, coming out very soon. There is a chance that whoever made the Russian Manacles, could have made some of the others too, including the Seance Cuffs, which seem also to be a one-off.

So did Harry have a personal handcuff maker, making cuffs to Houdini's design? I am sure he did, and I mention his name in the Annual. I just need some proof!

Hope this info is of use. I just think they were one-of-a-kind handcuffs

Regards

Mick
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Or perhaps from his own workshop? Didn't HH have his own shop to repair stage items? Would seem he might have the metal presses, drills, and other items necessary to craft locks as well. Just a thought.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
HI
I can add two bits of information. The original Russian Manacle is in the SAM
museum in California. It's currently not open I understand. Also, they don't
allow photos while there.

SEcond, I owned a padlock, which came from Russian, that was almost the exact same
size and shape as the Russian Manacle. Perhaps Houdini simple had it altered
by making two bows instead of the shackle. This is what I believe he did for his
French letter-cuff. Two padlocks were altered to make a handcuff. The padlock I
speak of is currently in an escape artists collection in Canada.

John Bushey
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I have thought that too, but when you read my article in the Annual, you'll see that he probably wouldn't have needed his own workshop.

MH
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@John

Do you have a photo of this russian padlock?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
Somewhere I do. I sold it to the current owner. Mick, I agree Houdini didn't need
his own workshop. But I believe he did have many items custom manufactured or altered from existing pieces by someone else. I believe your article will shed light
on at least one of these. In the first annual I documented the French letter cuff.
I found an IDENTICAL padlock or French origin to the lettercuff owned by Jon Oliver.
Houdini must have had two of these, and had new shackles built and then put a chain
between the locks for a set of cuffs.
I'll look for Russian photo, and post if I can locate it. It's pictured with the whole collection of Russian padlocks I had purchased years ago. Best Wishes, John
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
JOhn...Once my article is public, I am hoping that other interested people out there will carry on and help me with the research. My ultimate aim is to prove that Houdini had one guy building ALL his "unusual" handcuffs. I think I am getting close.

MH
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Hey Mick if the guy`s surname starts with a "B" and ends with a "D" then your on the right route!!!

Ken
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Sorry to dissapoint you Ken but my guy's name is nowhere near your idea. I'll tell you when I see you at the UKEA meeting on Saturday.

MICK
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
@John

Look very forward to seeing the photo if you can find it!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Here is said to be a photo of Houdini in the RM's:

http://www.wetcircuit.com/index.php?s=houdini

Does anyone have a larger photo, or the source of it?

Thanks in advance!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Houdini in the Russian Manacle:

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2012/09......ini.html

Around this time 1902-03, Houdini was working hard touring Britain, France, Germany, and Russia. He wouldn't have his own workshop until he returned and settled back in the U.S. in 1905.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2024, Leo H wrote:
He wouldn't have his own workshop until he returned and settled back in the U.S. in 1905.

I don't think Houdini would have made anything, Jim Collins would have. The Russian manacle could have easily be made in any of the hundreds of lock maker worshops in the UK. No need for Houdini to get to the USA to do anything, and I have never heard of any workshop that you suggest he might have had.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Agreed that Collins built his props for the majority of his career, but Houdini had a workshop by the mid 1920s around 1925-26. It was located near Hoboken, New Jersey. He had purchased a small building there around 1916 as the headquarters for his film development company--the FDC. He stocked the first floor of the building with film development machinery. When the company went bankrupt around 1923, he sold off the machinery, but kept the building as his workshop for magic and escape props. Not necessarily for manufacturing, more for refining his stage materials.

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2019/03......html?m=1

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2016/09......hop.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Russian Manacle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL