The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best tools for impromptu closeup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
vegasmacguy
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of vegasmacguy
I'm just getting back into magic after many years. Can anyone give me some ideas for the best tools to carry for a broad range of impromptu closeup material.

Here is a list of what I currently carry.

1. TT
2. 808 Poker Cards
3. Silk
4. ITR
5. Rubber Bands
6. Coins
FreefallFool
View Profile
New user
UK
61 Posts

Profile of FreefallFool
I'm no expert but that seems pretty comprehensive. I'm just about to invest in a piece of jewellery to compliment my outfit, ahem! From what I've read they're pretty versatile...
Smile It's not how far you fall, it's how you land... Smile
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
How about some sponge balls/rabbits?
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
1. Cards
2. Thumb Tip
3. Spongeballs
4. Rubber bands
5. Coins

For impromptu id use everything that you can find in a bar. I do 3 card monte with 3 dunno english word.. eehmm those things you put ur drink on:)
Rubberbands r almost always there , coins too for coins across etc.

getting stuff with you is not really impromptu I assume.
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 12:09, MichielTummers wrote:
I do 3 card monte with 3 dunno english word.. eehmm those things you put ur drink on:)

We call them "coasters". They do work pretty well for 3cm.

Keep on truckin'
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Ok thanks for the word:)
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
merlin5150
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of merlin5150
The effect "Prohibition"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24062 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Money
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A gold ring and a piece of string.
a pencil for an "impromptu magic wand".
business cards

more to follow.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I think to some degree that you mean 'seemingly impromptu'. Smile

Quarter ].
Swami.
Small pad.
Handkerchief or bandana.
Pen w/ cap.
Cord or shoelace.
Poster Putty.
Magnet.
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Matches
straws
nuts and bolts (thanks Doc Eason)
thread
lighter
rubberbands
TT
Pen with two caps of which one is superglued onto the pen
two or three napkins
business cards, top two cut in half widthways
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
How to interpret "impromtu"? Normaly it means that we are carrying nothing and we must rely on what is available under the circumstances. Considering these conditions what would a non-performer carry that could be used at any time,that could realy be impromptu magic. What would it be? A wallet, hankie, pen, coins, etc. Let's add to this list ignoring the fact that the items may or may not be "magical' but more importantly they are very ordinary.Then let's consider the effects that these items can be used for. This would prepare us for all occasions.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2007-04-06 17:54, CAROLINI wrote:
How to interpret "impromtu"? Normaly it means that we are carrying nothing and we must rely on what is available under the circumstances. Considering these conditions what would a non-performer carry that could be used at any time,that could realy be impromptu magic. What would it be? A wallet, hankie, pen, coins, etc.
Let's add to this list ignoring the fact that the items may or may not be "magical' but more importantly they are very ordinary.Then let's consider the effects that these items can be used for. This would prepare us for all occasions.

Yes.
To me the magic is done with common objects or common looking objects and is believed to be impromptu to those watching.
I also feel that bringing certain not-so-common item(s)such as silks, silver dollars, etc, from nowhere (production) can be effective in impromptu magic but that the item(s) should then return from whence they came (vanish). But that's just me. Smile

Quote:
Then let's consider the effects that these items can be used for. This would prepare us for all occasions.

Absolutely!
The more versatile the "magical" item and your ability to perform with many different items the better. As a serious impromptu magician we should be prepared for a variety of situations.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
How many this kinda threads are going to get?
nboisen
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of nboisen
I agree with Carolini and Jaz.

You need to distinguish between gadgets and props.

Props (what the spetatotor sees) can (and should) be borrowed: cigarettes, pen, business card, coin, bill, ring, etc. Do magic with those (from spectator) rather than your own.

Gadgets (gimmicks that the spectator NEVER sees) clearly cannot be borrowed! So bring your own TT, swami, PK Ring, pull, cig thru quarter or whatever.

With 1 or 2 gadgets, a deck of cards and a bunch of borrowed items you should be abole to perform a complete act!

Is that impromtpu? Who knows! It's just called "being prepared"!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
First buy the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic by Martin Gardner.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jonathanahirsch
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of jonathanahirsch
Pete,

Any hints on where to pick up a copy for less than the 250 dollar price tag I keep seeing at online used bookstores?
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
A prepared mind.

There is no better tool for impromptu closeup magic.

If you have a good selection of close up effects that you can do with every day objects (see Jay Marshall's Table Cr*p video from Stevens for a unch of those) and some good presentations for them, then you are ready.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I also think that if you learn to do things with stuff you find around (borrowed coins, pencils, paper, napkins, bills, etc...), then you'll be all set.

That is the best, and most impressive, "impromptu closeup" around.

Mark.
AAllen
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of AAllen
I agree with the above replies. It is best if you can use what you can find or borrow. Obviously, there are certain things you may want to occasionally use that can not be borrowed. Things such as TT, pk rings, sponge balls, hot rod, etc. However, anything you can borrow will make the experience more personal for the spectator and they will tend to remember it longer.

Dale.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best tools for impromptu closeup (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL