The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Gazzo pouch (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have used many different kinds of busking pouches during the time I worked the Renaissance Festival circuit. At the time I was working the circuit, I used a double pouch, because it suited my needs at the time.

However, it became apparent to me after watching Gazzo do his routine, that if I ever wanted to do a six orange and a melon finale to a cups and balls routine, I would have to get a different pouch setup.

I toyed with the idea of getting a Gazzo pouch for a long time. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I got a call from the Gazmeister, himself. He was sending me a pouch. It arrived yesterday, and I must say, this thing is wonderful.

It's big. It is 17 inches wide by 13 inches deep, including the belt loops. It will easily hold six oranges and a melon without the groceries flashing to the gilpins. The leather is imported Italian cowhide and kangaroo.

There are some interesting features as well. It has a special pocket on the back so you can retrieve a TT without having to go into the pouch. There are also some special takeup straps that allow you to adjust the front of the pouch once the leather begins to take a "set" from being filled with heavy fruit.

When you consider that a large melon and six oranges will weigh anywhere from 5 1/2 to 7 pounds, you need a pouch that is built to take the stress. It also must be able to deliver the goods without your having to fumble. The pouch scores well on that account.

There is no machine stiching or metal rivet work in this pouch. Metal rivets are fine as long as there is not too much stress on various points of the pouch. However, constant stress will stretch leather and cause rivets to pull loose. Instead of using rivets, Gazzo uses a set of Turk's Head knots to hold the stress points closed. He also uses Mexican Round Braid to close off all the outside edges of the pouch, itself. He cuts the lace for this braid from kangaroo hide.

Where there are stitches, he uses the two needle saddler's technique, which prevents accidents. Each stitch is made of two different threads. If one breaks, the other will hold for you.

The Mexican Round Braid is attractive and tough. According to Gazzo, it took twenty years of wear to finally get the braid to come loose on one of his pouches. That's an excellent record!

I've seen a lot of pouches. I HAVE a lot of pouches. There is no better pouch made anywhere on the planet. The only down side I can think of is that they are not cheap. But as Gazzo says,"A professional cannot affort do use cheap props."

These pouches are handmade by Gazzo, himself. To contact him, send an e-mail to gazzo_icon@hotmail.com or PM him here on the Café.

To see photos of the pouch, go to http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.org/museum/gazzospouch.htm .

You will need a username and password to get to that page, but if you e-mail me at curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com , I will be more than happy to send you what you need.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Thanks for the review, Bill. Quick question: if you were not necessarily bent on performing Gazzo's routine - with the 6 oranges and melon - would you still recommend the pouch, or would it be overdesigned?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Thanks for this review, Bill. With this info I think I have more than enough info to make my own pouch, and for that I am grateful!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 23:37, gaddy wrote:
Thanks for this review, Bill. With this info I think I have more than enough info to make my own pouch, and for that I am grateful!

WTF?
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 23:37, gaddy wrote:

Good luck! I'm a very experienced leather worker, and I wouldn't even begin to try it. Heck, I wouldn't even try it with one in front of me to copy. I haven't tipped all the goodies!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 23:24, Robert Kohler wrote:
Thanks for the review, Bill. Quick question: if you were not necessarily bent on performing Gazzo's routine - with the 6 oranges and melon - would you still recommend the pouch, or would it be overdesigned?

It would all depend on how much I was carrying when I worked.

I have worked out of a set of double pouches for a very long time, so I usually use those. I don't need much more than that. Interestingly enough, though, the same basic kinds of materials that Gazzo used in his pouch are the ones that Wolfgang Hengst used when he made my double set. I've had this last set for more than 20 years. It took me 15 years to figure out what I needed in a set of pouches.

But there is no way I could do the Gazzo routine without a pouch like the Gazzo pouch.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I've seen Gazzo's hands after making one of his pouches, there is no machine work, all hand cut and laced or stitched. Gazzo has literaly drawn blood and swelling when making his pouches.

Just kinda burned me when Gaddy would say something like that in the forum.

Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, Gaddy, I cleared the "secret" information I have posted about the construction of the pouch with Gazzo before any of it went on the web page.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 23:24, Robert Kohler wrote:

No offense to Gazzo, as I also own one of his pouches (hand stitched, not laced, but otherwise the same), but I think if you're planning to do anything else but Gazzo's routine, it would be as you said, overdesigned. There are other, lesser cost pouches that are more suitable if you plan to use it for other things. Of course, as Bill said, if you're planning to do Gazzo's routine only a Gazzo pouch will do.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-04-06 01:46, Mad Jake wrote:
I've seen Gazzo's hands after making one of his pouches, there is no machine work, all hand cut and laced or stitched. Gazzo has literaly drawn blood and swelling when making his pouches.

Just kinda burned me when Gaddy would say something like that in the forum.

Jake

I too shall draw blood, my leatherworking skill is at the boy scout at summer-camp level.

I didn't mean to offend. On his street cups DVD Gazzo gives explicit permission to use his material. It's not like I'm gonna mass produce 'em or anything like that.

Believe me, if I could afford an original I'd sure like the bragging rights. But I doubt very many of us are busking because we have a whole lot of extra cash just laying around.

I'm very sorry if my comment sounded crass.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
I've made my own pouch for Gazzo's routine. It has taken me weeks of trial and error and my wife's sewing talent to get my prototype right. All I need now is to learn to work with leather and I'm in. Piece of cake!

I'd buy a Gazzo pouch in a minute if I had the money. Or maybe that one from the Ambitious Card if I had a bit less money.

BTW Bill, how much DO those Gazzo pouches cost? I've trawled the Internet for the answer and came up with the conclusion that he doesn't make them an more.

G.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I have a laced Gary Animal pouch(made on Gazzo's design). I've put it next to a couple a Gazzo's that were purchased from a webite that used to carry them and I have seen little difference in quality or construction. If I remember correctly Gary was actually taught to make these by Gazzo. I also remember Gary writing something to the effect that it took him a week of screaming profanities to recover from making one Gazzo style pouch.
Making these things may look simple but I'd save my nickles and buy one from Gazzo.I don't think Gary makes them anymore as profanity is prohibitted in New Zealand where he now resides.
The Gazzo pouch can be much more versital than folks think . The one I have has no extra pockets built in so I fashioned an organizer compartment to insert when I'm not loading the cantalopasaurus.I can still load 4 baseballs and a good sized coconut with the organizer taking up half the pouch. I've used doubles and poucher's pouches and even a huge leather butt pack. The Gazzo pouch beats them for design comfort and durabiltiy. I do beat the crud out of my props and looks new.Eating is over rated - eat lentils for a month like I did and by one.
Pax Christi
Rich
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know what Gazzo is currently charging for the pouches. The price depends to a certain extent on the cost of materials. In today's market, with currency being all over the place, this changes on a daily basis. That's one reason I posted his e-mail address.

If I post what he charged last week, that pretty much sets in in stone until I get around to changing it.

Regarding Gary Animal's pouches -- I know he made some that were very good. Gazzo did train him to make the pouches. It took him longer to make them at first, because of the difference in experience, I think. It would take me a couple of weeks to make one of these. I can whip out a stitched (not braided) pocket holster in about 20 minutes.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Genghis..

I believe the pouches are priced at $700 a peice.

Shawn.
Shawn.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's probably pretty close.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The hand stitched one like I have is the same leather, but no braid. It's about half that price. It's the one he was selling at his Master Classes. Same high quality without the frills.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
I can make them as Gazzo showed me how. it takes bloody days and hurts your hands. It's well worth the money . I make my own animal pouxh the same way. but with stiffer leather. To be frank 700 dollars works out at a very low hourly wage. I have used both laced and stitched gazzo pouches and the laced holds it shape much better and looks the dogs b****** too. Gazzo has just posted me a black and red laced pouch and when it arrives I will probably shag it
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Remember when I said I thought I could make one of these pouches... Ah! folly!
Perhaps I should consider another routine...
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
Well is arrived and very nice indeed. red leather inside and black outside with red and black lacing. If you think this is overpriced at 700 bucks then your wrong. Trust me I lace pouches and it is *** hard work. Gazzo's pouch is different from mine and for the big Gazzo cups it is perfect. I do not see how you can complain about such a well made bit of kit. In fact you will not complain. The minute you see it you will know you've not wasted your dosh. My only complaint is the thumb tip pocket is for right handers. But if you tell Gazzo I'm sure he'll put it on the other side. Now I know I didn't pay for mine but that's not the point. If only I wasn't so broke. Gazzo mate -Thanks it's a bloody lovely pouch. The red and black looks stunning and the quality of the leather is top notch. Thanks for the books too.
See you in Spain in a year or so when I sell up and head back to Europe. People if you trust me on cups then trust me on this. Gazzo's pouch is top quality and worth every penny. Now I've just got to wash it.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Let me add my two cents:
I have used a number of pouches over the years, but nothing compares with the quality of Gazzo’s. I try not to abuse props, but with the demands of street/festival work, props take a beating. Without a question, Gazzo’s pouch will withstand the rigors of the street. I know it will outlast me!

I’ve also done a bit of leather work in the past. I agree with Bill. Even if you have some leather working skills (even advanced ones), you’ll spend a lot of time, effort and money trying to get an acceptable result. I guess it can be done. But without Gazzo's or Gary's guidance, you’ll get real education if you try to duplicate Gazzo’s craftsmanship.

Regards,
Gerald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Gazzo pouch (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL