The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Update on Dick Williams (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
This information was given to me less than an hour ago. I posted about Dick being in the hospital with a broken leg. Seems as though the injury was a little bit more serious. From what I gather, he's still in the hospital and is having difficulty paying his medical/hospital bills. The magicians here in Memphis are already starting on working to put together a benefit to help him out. We will do what we can to help out one of our own. He's given so much to the magic community, now it's time for the community to give back!!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
More information on the fund can be found here...

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=6332185

Mark
Mark Daniel
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Oh wow.
that's why I hadn't gotten an email reply from him.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I can't do much, but I followed the links and donated $5.00 to the fund via PayPal. It's quick and easy to do, even if you don't have a PayPal account. Here's the link:

http://www.magiclandtv.com/
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Dick is a dear friend of mine. We walked through a mall together in Memphis about ten years ago and adults everywhere stopped and talked to him and asked for autographs. Any amount of money donated is better than no money at all!

Best,
Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando, Florida
Kip Stevens
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kip Stevens
Hope it all works out for ya Dick.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-04-18 11:53, airship wrote:
I can't do much, but I followed the links and donated $5.00 to the fund via PayPal. It's quick and easy to do, even if you don't have a PayPal account. Here's the link:

http://www.magiclandtv.com/

The website was helpful.
It was nice seeing one of my dad's creations
built for Dick on the photo page.

Any updates on how he's doing?

www.mai-ling.net
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Dick is out of the hospital and back in rehab. I spoke with his granddaughter the other day and she said that right now, she has to demonstrate that she can take care of him at home, otherwise they might have to put him in a nursing home. She doesn't want to do that because of how he feels about nursing homes. She's not getting much support from family, so it's all resting on her shoulders.

Margarette
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Man, I used to watch every show every week that I could, and even met him a few times at various events around Memphis. Dick, along with "Happy Hal" Miller, were larger than life celebrities not just in Memphis, but around the entire Mid-South area.

I first ran into Dick during a shopping trip to Southland Mall in Memphis. My family and I would go to Memphis every year over Thanksgiving weekend to do our Christmas shopping. At that time, Southland was the only shopping mall I had ever seen. It only took about five minutes for me to get my fill of shopping, so I went to sit on a bench and play with some toys that I brought with me. In the meantime, I heard a commotion a few doors down and I went to see what was happening. It was Dick Williams, performing magic. He took time to meet and greet every single child there, and he treated us all like we were his best friends.

I am always saddened to read of my magic heroes and icons falling on hard times. My mother sent me a copy of the newspaper clipping when Dick's wife, Virginia, passed away on New Year's Day this year. She was such a beautiful,gracious, and talented lady. I hope that Dick continues to improve, and I wish his granddaughter the best as she prepares to care for him.

For those of you thinking of contributing, but who might be unsure of who Dick is, I can tell you with no reservations that he did as much for magic as anyone alive. He might not have been as well known outside of the Mid-South, but he was truly a magic icon.

Please, do what you can to help.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I used to visit Memphis once a year and do about 20 shows while I was in town each time. I never met Mr. Williams but heard about him from some of the other magicians I had met in the area. I've read his great book also.

I know all too well the burden of medical bills, as I'm paying off a HUGE amount myself.I hope Mr. Williams recovers fully and everything works out well for him.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I remember Dick very well during my years in Memphis and I am sad to hear he is having sorrows. We wish him nothing but the best and a full recovery in everything!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I never met Dick in person but corresponded with him a bit. He was a great guy. I just made a contribution and urge everyone that reads this to do the same.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I received an e-mail from Dick's granddaughter. She didn't provide any additional information, but they are receiving, and are very appreciative of, the contributions that are being made toward his care.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Get Well soon.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Got another e-mail from Dick's granddaughter. She's thinking about adding a page to the website to report on Dick's progress. They are also talking to WMC-TV about releasing a DVD of Magic Land shows to raise funds for his long-term care. If this happens, the information will also be posted on the website.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Go to this website, and above Dick Williams' photo is a link to a video excerpt from his 15th anniversary show:

Dick Williams

BTW, this was the first time that Zig-Zag was presented on American television...
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Anyone know how he's doing?

www.mai-ling.net
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Last night, I spent a wonderful couple of hours visiting with Dick. He's getting along fairly well. He needs a walker, but that's to keep himself from falling again. I loved hearing his stories from the tv show and the first time he met Copperfield. I plan on going by to see him every couple of weeks...I don't know if I can commit to once a week. I found out that he's going to be 80 next month!

Margarette
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Let's get an address and send cards to him!
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I'll have to check with Jennifer about giving out an address, but if anyone wishes, they can send one to my address and I'll get them to him. PM me for the address...I'd rather not put in on the public board.

Margarette
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Update on Dick Williams (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL