The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What's 'your' reaction to your effects?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I'm curious to hear how other Restaurant, Strolling performers react to their own effects,( I don't like saying tricks) when the moment of astonishment ( hopefully) happens?
What is your demeanor towords your audience.

I know it depends on the effect, but do you act surprised?...puzzled?...or just smile or stare with the David Blainesque gaze. How do you like to come across to your spectators when the magic happens?? Smile
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I havent done much restaurant work, but when I do any strolling, I tend to just smile and wait for the reaction to die down so I can move on to my next effect. Acting suprised doesn't suit my character as it is obvious that I am the one 'doing' the magic. For me, acting suprised would be similar to a violinist acting suprised after playing a concerto! I try not to come across as 'hah hah fooled you', but more like 'I'm Glad you enjoyed that'. However others have found success acting suprised (classic example is Cardini - The magic just seemed to happen around him).

So I guess we are back to the old cliche "it all depends on your personality"
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
I get excited as i build up towards the end of an effect but once it arrives i stay pretty quiet - i'll thank people who applaud and laugh along with people who make jokes (eg. "wow, that must ruin your social life practicing..." or whatever the father of three blurts out) - basically, i just react as they do, become part of the audience.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks for your responses,
I think it's important how we as performers respond to the "magic moment". We may do the same effect hundreds of times, so to us it can become mundane. I also agree we should never have an I'm better than you attitude.

Depending on the effect, our interactions during the effect, and especially at the climax, can make the magic all that more exciting.

I was watching a J.C. Wagner video, and his performance of Rubber Band Surprise. The spectator had her finger pressed down on the deck and when he told her to lift her finger, just as she did he shouted somewhat and the chosen card sprung from the deck. Not only was she starled by his loud voice but it made that effect much more fun than just the revelation of a card. There was much laughter in addition to the trick because of J.C.'s reaction to the magic moment. my 2 cents
David Paul Smile
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What's 'your' reaction to your effects?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL