The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does anyone not do a final load? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
It seems to me that all the focus of a routine is the final load( I am talking about cups and balls more than anything)...People give more thought to what to produce at the end than the routine up to it. So I want to know if anyone has anythoughts on performing this effect without final loads.

I do want to be clear about this I do not want routine ideas I want thoughts why you think it is important to do a final load. I also want to see if anyone would be willing to forego the final loads and find a new way to end this great effect.

For 27 years I have been doing this effect and most of the time I do not do a final load sequence. When I do I use only a production of nine balls at the end, these are all just the normal balls that I used for the rest of the routine.
curlyclimber222
View Profile
New user
NJ
16 Posts

Profile of curlyclimber222
Your ending is fine. Basicly, you need to end the show with a BANG! THe whole trick (until the end) is fairly simple, balls travel from one cup to another....But at the end once you amke the final load appear the audiences possibilities for how the tricks are done is shattered. Their entire mind goes blank with astonishment. So you need to end it somehow. If 9 normal balls appear that is also a bang, so IMO that is fine, however I don't like letting the audience know that there is more then 3 balls on the table so I personally would not end it that way.

Ben Winter
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
I do not know what other people think, but I feel that the cups and balls have to have an ending to it. If you were to only stop after making the balls disappear and reappear. You leave the crowd hanging.

Now, your nine ball ending makes a different ending. I have never seen an ending like that. I like the idea, but I would think if the ball were all different colors, or a lot of different colors. That in my mind would and a twist to the ending.

That is what is needed at the end of any cups and balls routine. A twist is what the crowd needs to interact with you. Something that puts your routine over the top. Makes it the one they remember.

This is my two cents. Thanks for reading it.

Thank you,
SeanD13
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
By definition, the last thing you produce from your cups is the final load. Smile

Think about it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
curlyclimber222
View Profile
New user
NJ
16 Posts

Profile of curlyclimber222
I changed my mind after reading Sean's post. If all 9 balls were different colors then that would cover my original problem with the audience knowing that there were extras.

Ben Winter
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
I hate to disagree, especially on an opinion issue, but one of my favorite cups & balls routine is done by Alexander DeCova which I think is a variation of Dia Vernon’s and there is no final load. It is clean, elegant, simple to follow and magical. To me the final load always seemed out of place. The final load may be shocking because no one anticipated it but shocking isn’t always magical! Sometimes its just shocking. In the DeCova routine the final surprise is that all three balls vanish and end up under the same cup. It is consistent with the rest of the routine as a whole and yet has a final kicker.

This makes me think of a problem I see all the time with magic routines. “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. Often times magicians will add one more shocking surprise to a routine just because they can. Sometimes this sacrifices the overall mood created in the first place.

Just my opinion.

David Tower
David Tower
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The three balls are, by definition, Alex's final load.

Whether you do large loads, fruit loads or whatever, your routine must be specifically geared toward whatever your ending is. Gazzo's performance of his routine is a perfect example of this. The melon out of the hat is an excellent ending for the routine.

A chop cup routine without the production of a large or unusual object at the end is not nearly as strong as one with it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
There is a reason Gazzo's final loads are 6 oranges and 1 melon. I do exclusive corporate and cruise ship work and recently have been so interested in street magic. Not the kind where I walk up to 2 people with a camera crew and do a cool card trick, but really standing on the street, building a crowd, and working for a hat (I even learned the lingo).

After getting into it and being absolutely amazed at how these guys can take 3 or 4 effects and turn it into 45 minutes of excellent magic got me thinking to re-work my show.

I've recently added Ammar's Cups and Balls to my show, which I've nver done a c & b routine before for fear that I'd be laughed off stage. I've perfromed it for the last month or so at about 20 shows and have received a tremendous response.

That response is only the way it is, because (I believe) of the final loads. It totally catches them off guard and they never see it coming and that's why I receive such an ovation.

Josh London
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Like all routines the audience should be lead to a 'punch' (the impossible magical moment) and this is where and when the 'wow factor' is created.

I have tried using bigger balls for my final loads but when I produce (collectively) about 50 - 80 different colors mini balls from all the cups as my finale, my audience also gave me the 'wow' response. I believe this is because the table is now full of different color balls and color affect the psychological response of people. In addition the numbers also shows some element of impossibility.

The final load, I believe, should be the 'bang' or 'mental punch' the audience get from us and the intensity of that emotional moment can mean a very lasting effect that is linked to our name as the performer. We, as performers, are not only selling the effect during the performance but also our name, as a person, by the impossible things we create in the minds of the audience.

Just my 2 cents
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That is a very effective final load. Martin Lewis does a thing with a dice cup that ends with the production of a couple of hundred 1/4 inch dice.

Liquid loads were also very popular at one time, but make the handling much more difficult.

So you do what works for you.

It would be interesting to see what Alexander De Cova actually does when he performs on the street.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Any thoughts on having your watch (or someone else's) under the cups as a finale?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Slappy
View Profile
Loyal user
North Hollywood, CA
266 Posts

Profile of Slappy
To my way of thinking, the cups and balls (and the chop cup, for that matter) seems to be a demonstration of skill...until the final load. That's where the magic happens.
"Help, I've got a silver ball stuck on my thumb"
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
In theory, I agree with everyone except for David Tower. But my recent experience proves to me that not only is he right, it works with no load at the end whatsoever.

I do a fairly standard Micro Chop Cup routine and Sponge Balls for walk around, and Cups and Balls for platform. So when I developed a Benson Bowl type of routine for festivals, I wanted it to be different. I left out using the spectator's hands and a the appearance of a final load. Two elements that I consider to be strong about the original. For the ending, just one ball vanishes from the bowl. I realize in print that it sounds weak, so I've been reluctant to mention it at the Café for months. But this routine has been getting me an incredible response. I've given the ending a great deal of thought. There is no method reason why I couldn't do a final load, but if I added it, it would be solely because I could.

[EDIT] Written before Slappy's comment, which I disagree with. The C&B intro and body should be magical.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I often say "there are not rules" -- HOWEVER... if something works for your way of working that's fine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Indeed "there are no rules", however I belive RAGMAN wants to know our personal thoughts.
For my own taste you have to end up with a big final load, but never more than 3 (again my own taste)
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-04-09 14:18, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Any thoughts on having your watch (or someone else's) under the cups as a finale?

That's almost as overdone as large balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-04-09 07:18, JamesTong wrote:
I have tried using bigger balls for my final loads but when I produce (collectively) about 50 - 80 different colors mini balls from all the cups as my finale, my audience also gave me the 'wow' response. I believe this is because the table is now full of different color balls and color affect the psychological response of people. In addition the numbers also shows some element of impossibility.

A fourth load of M&Ms gets a great response too.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
If doing a 3 cup routine, or any number of cups, I find it to be an extra kicker to have and extra final load which adds to the impossibility of the effect. I just think if you are gonna do it, go all the way. Even 1 large load gets a great reaction. I find, and this is only me, that any more gets to be too much and distracting. I like to end my routines with the final loads and the routine is done.. I do however display the 3 final loads, and just as the reaction just starts to die down I pull out the 4th which I feel gets better reactions then just producing them all at once.... however, I don't remember where I heard or saw this, but a flash production of 4 different final loads that seem to appear all at once is quite striking, looks incredible with fuits and vegetables... there are sooo many possibilities...

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The main thing to remember when you are doing the cups and balls is that you must have some way of punching up the ending. If you can "sell" three balls assembling under one cup, then, by all means, do it. If you find that it's hard to sell the end of the routine without final loads, then do them.

Do whatever you need to do to make the audience love your routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
What about a routine in which the cups disappear as a final sequence?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Does anyone not do a final load? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL