The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » First visual record of a magic trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
There is another post dealing with the first recorded magic trick. Most of this has consisted of references to written documents.

At any rate, this got me thinking: what was the first visually recorded image (either through a still picture or on movie film) of a magic trick? Bill Palmer even asked if that went for drawings, graphics, sketches, etc. That, too, is a good question. How about all of them? Each one is signifigant in its own way.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's been fairly well established that the painting on the wall of the tomb at Beni Hasan is not a pair of cups and balls workers. There is an incredible amount of misinformation about this painting.

So, what do we have as far as items that have survived from antiquity? Not much, really. Some mention has been made of jugglers, etc. in some of the Egyptian tomb paintings and carvings, but I don't know of any sources that show these. I also do not know of any sources that show cave paintings of early humans doing magic tricks for one another.

The problem lies with how art was used in the old days. Most art was used as an historical record or as a part of some kind of worship. I think we need to separate the non-trickster applications of magic from, say, representations of people performing as entertainment.

In 1956, Kurt Volkmann wrote a book called das Becherspiel, which was translated into English and published as The Oldest Deception. It has illustrations of people performing the cups and balls that are taken from medieval manuscripts and/or graphics. The oldest one in his book is a vignette from a book of the planets. The medieval scientists thought of the moon as a planet and ascribed to the moon the power to drive people mad and to get them to commit foolish acts. Often, on the page illustrating the moon (Luna) there would be a vignette of a man performing the cups and balls. The earliest of these in Volkmann's book dates back to around 1404, and is a sketch by an unknown master painter from Ulm. This is in the University of Tübingen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I know this is sort of a cold thread, but I thought I'd comment anyway.

Penn and Teller have a DVD out called "Penn and Tellers Magical Mystery Tour" which is sort of a documentary of their travels in China, Egypt, and India to seek out the local magic.

The Egyptian trip includes a segment in a tomb, possibly Beni Hasan's (although my memory escapes me here) where the sections of the hieroglyphs with the supposed cups and balls trick and jugglers are filmed. Bill is right on the cups and balls part. The picture is not very clear and as Penn commented, "it could just as well be a pair of ancient bongo players."

The glyphs on jugglers looked pretty convincing though. Interesting DVD in many respects.
Regards,
Eric
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Perhaps the summoning of the bison image on that cavewall in France?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » First visual record of a magic trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL