The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » loading your bunny (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I have read several posts where performers produce their bunny as a finali to the act.
when performing a 30 or40 maybe even an hour act in some cases when do you load the bunny!
I would not dream of loading my rabbit for very long.
Phillip
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5272 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Peter, my bunny is loaded right before I go on and has to wait for a long 12 minutes to get produced. My “bag” is fairly comfortable with a mesh section for her face. She is resting in a box like side table waiting to be stolen. I have actually put in a few frozen “blue-ice” blocks to the back of the box, from time to time (when the ambient temperature was HOT!), to help keep the temperature down a bit.

There has been occasion that she was loaded almost 30 minutes before I went on and thus she had to wait for almost 45 minutes to be produced. I insure that her hiding place is in a cool shaded space when that happens.

Like you, I worry about my little partner’s well being. There have actually been venues that I felt the conditions were much too unhealthy or risky to include the rabbit production/vanish closing routine. I use a different closer then.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There is a big difference from doing a stage show for adults and a kids shows, in reference to loading animals.

It is "unforgiving" for a magician to walk off stage during adults performances to load a bunny that is why an assistant doing it works so well.

On the other hand on kids shows, momentary disappearing to put a prop away, or get a bigger prop to place on the table, load the bunny. Kids don't see that as a "Bad Performace" so when doing kids shows load the bunny just before making it appear, but do so under some disguise action.

Many times loading the bunny before the show is also OK providing you are going to make it appear in the beginning of your show.
Dennis Michael
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I might be frowned on but I always load my bunny in before the show and produce him near the end. He usually waits concealed about 30 minutes. I am sure if bunnies could talk he would sometimes complain, but he is still quite healthy and I have used him for many years. He has some ventilation to breathe in there. I figure rabbits like to live in burrows which must be equally dark and confined.

I usually park around the corner of the house, or look for a quite street nearby to load the bunny. I used to load the bunny while parked in the client’s driveway. One time I was doing this and heard a excited child yell ‘he’s got a bunny!’, I looked up and saw all the children standing at an upstairs window watching me.

I know some of you load the bunny during the show. I really can not imagine getting away with this in a confined apartment living room with 15 kids, especially with my minimal props. I don’t even use a table.

I find the production of the bunny is a great climax to the show. At the end I have the birthday child’s photo taken with the bunny.
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I am with Andrew on this one.

I load my bunny in pre-show, usually just down the road from the party. I produce my bunny near the end, about 25mins later.

I have not noticed this causing the bunny any undue stress.

I have performed on some particularly hot days when I thought that the bunny should not be in the box for this long. On these occasions I have produced a soft toy instead, and then got my bunny out of the car (in his travelling cage) to play with the kids.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have loaded the bunny in the past and waited to the end of the show. One time he was drenched, I realized then that it must of been too hot, so since that time I produce him early, or have him loaded in a comfortable box with holes in it.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I have to admit I am over cautious.
I only use rabbit productions where the bunny stays where he is and his feet are firmly on a hard non slip surface. Ie Rainbow house/ribbon to rabbit. I also choose these becase you can put the rabbit in them before the show but only actualy confine them to their restricted place during the performace and with out breaking the flow. even then I produce my bunny at the 15 -20 mins point into the show.
Phillip
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On these occasions I have produced a soft toy instead, and then got my bunny out of the car (in his travelling cage) to play with the kids.

Chris, he's not in the car during the show is he/she?

Billy
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
440 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I am also like Andrew. I load my Bunny in the car at the show. I carry him in and he gets poduced about 40 min later sometimes 50 min.He seems to be very happy but then I cant speak or under stand bunny talk. Now my dove is a differnt story. I produce him as fast as I can from a dove pan and he is sweeting when he comes out.I have to think of a way to keep him cool. I feel for the little guy.I am going to drill holes into the top of my dove pan this year. I bet if he could talk he would say I am at the brink of death everythime you do a show.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
i must say I bring him inside in a covered small cage. I load him while the kids are not in there. I produce my bunny at the very beginning after a couple of warm ups. The birthday child is the one that actually helps produce the bunny. My thinking is that if I produce the bunny the kids did not see it coming and it tells them they are in for a fun show for the rest of the show. Most of the guys here in ATL produce at the end of the show. So I wanted to be different.

Ken
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
In 25 years of parties have only ever used a rabbit ONCE (in a borrowed Derek Lever Taurus Magic electronic bunny box). Strangely enough I often think about starting. First off, I'm nuts about animal welfare, so I'd end up buying two (do any of you use dwarf rabbits?) so that they would be in 'company' in my garage in winter or garden in summer (although we do have nightly visits from foxes - they tried to dig up my border collie - don't worry it WAS dead! - so would have to be a mighty strong hutch!). It's the transportation thing that also worries me as we carry so much other equipment. I presume you use a small plastic pet carrier with water feeder? We use two SUVs which don't have any dark boot (trunk) type areas also which could be roasting for an animal in summer. But despite all this I sometimes think it would be a lovely experience for our usual party age groups - 4/5/6s. Come on guys, give some advice (it's probably one of the few things you could teach us!).

As you've probably noticed, I have a slightly 'black' sense of humour - but seriously, do any of you dread producing a DEAD bunny in front of tinies. Do you double check up to the very last second that 'tiddles' is still in the world of the living?

Smile
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Hi Tony, I have two rabbits for the reason's you mentioned, (company) I used to use them all the time for every single show. But then, two years ago, I decided to go full time, and because I got so busy, I decided not to use the rabbits because they were out of the house for too long. I normally do 2/3 sometimes 4 shows on a Sat and the same on a Sunday, which would mean the rabbit would be out of it's house for up to 10 hours a day. So that's the reason I stopped useing them.

When I did use my rabbits, I found that I could leave them in a production box for 45 mins at a time OK. The production boxes I used were all home made. The space that the rabbit had to sit in was at least twice the size with loads of ventalation. So there was plenty of room for him to move about and breath. I always looked upon the rabbits as pets, not just props, so they were very well looked after.

And yes, it was always my worst nightmare at the thought of open the box and finding that Rosie or Rolo the rabbit was dead. I once forgot to load it before the show, but managed to load it while talking to the kids. So it is possible to load your bunnies during your show for anyone interested.

All the best, Billy
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Tony, a bunny can be a real show stopper. Kids love them. I am always surprised how it is usually the loudest most aggressive boy that turns into a softie at the sight of the bunny and is quite happy to sit holding it for the rest of the party. I have used a rabbit in every birthday show for the last 5 years and think a good bunny is worth its weight in gold.

You would need a strong cage, especially if you have foxes about. I have lost a few rabbits due to dogs in our neighbourhood. It is amazing what a determine dog can do to get a rabbit. The people next door to us have a dog that always seems to come over here for my rabbit. The dog was able to break through the cheapie cage I got from the pet shop. Now I have got an extra strong custom made cage that has kept him safe.

My bunny is a dwarf angora cross. That is great mix I think because he is small like a dwarf which makes him easier to transport, house hide etc, plus his long fur really makes him look adorable. My rabbits have all been male as well. Male rabbits are not as temperamental as female rabbits. Any pet store person will tell you male rabbits make better pets.

One of the games I play at my parties is my version of Pass the Parcel that I call, Pass the Bunny. Fluffy sits in my hat and the children pass around my hat. If they are holding the hat when the music stops, then their prize to have their photo taken with Fluffy.

Bunnies are easy to take care of and may help your justify a increase in your fee. If most of your competitors don’t have one I would definitely recommend getting one (or two in your case). I have actually had callers just want to hire a bunny for a birthday show. I sold them my magic show, but they were just calling for the bunny.

I have had my bunny mess in a client’s living room before. That is a whole other issue but I have learnt how to avoid it. That has happened twice in 5 years and only with a new bunny. I keep my rabbits feeding times quite consistent during Fridays and the weekend so I know the chance of him messing during a show is pretty minimal. I know if I change his feeding pattern the chance of him making a mess at the wrong time increases. If anyone wants tips on this side of things I think there is another post on it somewhere, or you can send me a private message. Basically if you don’t feed him on a Friday night then give him a lot of moisture rich food on Saturday morning before your 5 shows you might be in trouble. You can’t expect him to hold on all day.
Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I have made several posts regarding bunnies on the "Polly wants a cracker forum" here at the Café. including breed, care info and welfare. I always have 3 bunnies netherland dwarf bucks. each has a hutch 6 feet long * 6feet high * 18" deep the hight is divided in 3 sections with ramps. My vet (a dwarf breeder and comp judge) calls them Penthouses! (I think well there earning me a minimum of £3.00 a minute when performing so they deserve luxury apartments)
I only lock them away at night or if they are out performing. other wise they roam my garden with my 3 cats.
Phillip
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-01-22 05:38, Billy Whizz wrote:
Quote:
On these occasions I have produced a soft toy instead, and then got my bunny out of the car (in his travelling cage) to play with the kids.

Chris, he's not in the car during the show is he/she?

Billy

Billy,
I have a travelling cage that I use. If I am not going to produce the bunny then I put him out of sight (behind the car, in another room etc) so I don't ruin the suprise. Unfortunately I have had the regretable experience of having a bunny 'expire' on the way to a show. I think it was heat exhaustion. Thankfully I learnt very quickly from my mistake and now I always make sure that my bunny has plenty of food and water (and air conditioning!) when he travels.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Placing a wet towel over your bunnys back is the quickest way to relieve heat exustion in your bunny.
Phillip
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2003-01-23 16:23, p.b.jones wrote:
Hi,
Placing a wet towel over your bunnys back is the quicket way to relieve heat exustion in your bunny.
Phillip

Thanks for the tip Pillip!
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Thanks for all the interesting info! I too can be out for 7 or 8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday and having to care for an animal would be a worry to me. I personally also feel that the public are in tune very much to animal welfare these days. I personally would not use a dove pan for even doves or mice, and could not dream of using flashpaper or lighter fluid in combination with livestock. I would have the puppet screen to hide the carrier behind, but you know what it's like - you're in a church hall, the parent says "there's a cup of tea in the kitchen for you" - and as soon as you turn your back!! Still thinking about it seriously though.

Tony.

Smile
windrunner
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of windrunner
My kids show is about 40 minutes. I load the rabbit just before the show. I designed and built my own rabbit production, so I know his is comfortable.
Bryan Blankenship
"the alter ego of"
VanDoren the Magician
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Back when I used a duck pan, he would sit in the load from the start of the show. I had the pans in a suitcase table, so it was easy to put the cover on the load, during the preceding routine. When I used a mi**o* box, he was restrained with a broadcloth holder. The top door was open until just before I placed the box on the suitcase table.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » loading your bunny (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL