The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Siberian chain escape alternate method. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Are there any alternate methods to doing the chain escape? I don't like the how it looks the way the instructions tell you to put it on.

Is there a way to do it without the special "figure 8"?
-Matt
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You can use the chain in other ways, but they don't have the advantages of the S. Chain configuration.

It's worth learning, and can last the rest of your career. Especially if you have an imagination.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you make one out of machine chain, you can escape from it regardless of how you put it on, but I've never seen a commercial one. I made one years ago out of some brass machine chain for another magician, that is where we discovered that you could still get out of it (takes a bit of effort) even if put on like you generally put it on the audience member.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Then it wasn't put on right.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I agree with Harley. The SC can easily hold someone if applied incorrectly, which is, of course, exactly what you are supposed to do to the volunteer to prove how legit the tie is in the first place -- if you go down that street at all.

Photius, what exactly do you mean by "machine chain", and how is it different than regular link chain? The only thing I can think of is flat drive chain that works well with cog wheels. Similar also to motorcycle drive chain. Is this what you meant, or was it something else?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Machine chain by its design (and it is called machine chain anywhere they sell chain) literally has an ability to stretch. Not that the metal stretches, but they configuration of how the links are put together, when stressed actually allows the chain to become "longer" and as such you can escape from it. I remember reading years ago about some sort of chain escape in a book , the name of which has long escaped me, that used machine chain, and listed its properties and why it was used in that escape. Harley, it was put on correctly. I didn't say the escape was as easy as it is when it is attached in the gimmicked way, but there was the ability to gain enough slack to pull one hand out with a bit of effort.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I've seen a similar escape to the Siberian Chain Escape called the Asylum wrist restraint. It appears to be exactly the same principle.

http://www.kwmagic.com/index.php?main_pa......86018f1a
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Hmmm. I'm not familiar with machine chain. Good idea! I sense some interesting play-time coming up.

The Asylum thing appears to be a version (hopefully NOT a knockoff) of a device put out by David Deval.

Most of the Siberian Chains I've seen on the market, don't look strong enough to hold a weasel in heat, much less a person. I've at times, marketed one that's much stronger. Mark Cannon has a nice-looking one also.

BTW, Photius, I like your tag-line!

www.bladewalker.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
A weasel in heat Harley? You need to get out more buddy! That saran wrap has addled you a bit I think! ;-)
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Mr Bill, take another look. Imagine how it would go on. It looks the same at first glance, but they are different. The strap would be much longer, and the slider and the buckle would be nearly side-by-side AND on the same end of the strap.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I guess if I didn't do that, I'd have more sense. But if I had more sense, I wouldn't do it, and then where would I be?

But the weasel is an image you can remember.

www.bladewalker.com
dylan1961
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of dylan1961
Houdini's German transport chain is similar to the Siberian Chain escape.
PHotos of him exist escaping from it. Once in it, it's not meant to be a
"quick escape", but a slow, almost painful looking escape. Houdini would struggle,
and very slowly, force one hand out. Then, through presentation, make the second half come off almost with as much difficulty. Try this presentation, it really plays. Again, like already mentioned, a bigger chain adds to the effect, and actually makes it look better and more difficult. Of course, the opposite is true.
John
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-04-11 21:30, Chance wrote:
Mr Bill, take another look. Imagine how it would go on. It looks the same at first glance, but they are different. The strap would be much longer, and the slider and the buckle would be nearly side-by-side AND on the same end of the strap.

Ah, yes I see now. Thanks Chance.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes, that looks like another knock off,,,,,adding a padlock to it didn`t fool me !!!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I was reading Burling Hulls book 33 rope ties and chain releases. In there he gives alternate methods for a chain release that look "similar" to the Siberian.

Chance you said:
"The SC can easily hold someone if applied incorrectly, which is, of course, exactly what you are supposed to do to the volunteer to prove how legit the tie is in the first place -- if you go down that street at all."
AM I reading in to this would you not normally put it on an audience member? And when you say applied "incorrectly" is there a recognised way to put it on the audience member "incorrectly" to hold them? Or would any variation be OK?

Thanks Dave
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I think Chance is discussing the wrap, where one cannot get out of the chain.

You can certainly put someone in it, and probably should. This fulfills the same purpose that many lame performers follow, of saying "Check this out, see if it's real?", establishing the reality of the device.

Establishing the reality is sometimes a good idea, but the problem is making it entertaining. If you just say, "See if it's real", you're pointing out that there's something wrong with the picture, so you need to figure out another way of doing it. Think of it as a story, where each part follows another, seamlessly.

Because everything that happens onstage must have a reason that's easily understood by the audience, you must decide several things.

Why does the person need to be in chains?

What do you want them to do, while they're restrained?

What do YOU do, while they're restrained?

How do you resolve the situation?

If you have answers to those questions, you have a structure that might just work.

www.bladewalker.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Dave, there is definitely a way to apply the SC so that escape is pretty near impossible for the uninitiated. Practice to make it look identical on their wrists, like it will later appear on yours. Ditto for the so-called "Electric Release" shackle. Play around with them. Let me know what you find out...

Harley, you keep leaving messages like that and you'll have no reason to host another workshop!!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yeah, I guess you're right! I never DID know when to shut my mouth.

For general information, I'm teaching escapes at Coney Island this weekend, as part of their advanced studies weekend.

I'm also teaching escapes as part of a skills-training session, June 26-28. PM me for more information, if anybody's interested..

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Siberian chain escape alternate method. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL