The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Head off dove trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

renetryl
View Profile
New user
Denmark
12 Posts

Profile of renetryl
I am going to do the old trick where you rip a doves head off and replaces it again afterwards for a special occasion. Something like what David Blaine did to a chicken in his tv special some years ago. Does any of you know where to find a description of this trick and maybe a source to it´s origins - when was it performed, who invented it.I would like to find some background history for the presentation. Any inputs are very welcome.

Best wishes

Rene
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
It was first recorded in ancient Egypt. A Egyptian magician known as Dedi was presenting this illusion to the Pharoah. I can't remember the date on this event. Dedi used a goose and a oxen for the trick instead of a dove. The only thing I can say is that this is a very old trick with a very well kept secret.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
renetryl
View Profile
New user
Denmark
12 Posts

Profile of renetryl
Thanks for the direction. I discovered that the source is: " the westcar papyrus" dated 2700 BC."The fourth story, told by Hardedef, concerns a miracle set within Khufu's own reign. A townsman named Dedi apparently has the power to reattach a severed head unto an animal, tame a wild lion and knows the number of rooms in the secret shrine of Thoth. Khufu, intrigued, sends his son to fetch this wise man, and upon Dedi's arrival at court he orders a goose, a waterfowl and an ox beheaded.
Steve Anderson
View Profile
New user
Gun Barrel City
22 Posts

Profile of Steve Anderson
Renetryl,
Ian Adair published a manuscript to this effect entitled "heads off" It is reffered to in Vol. 3 of Adairs encyclopedia of dove magic on pg 249. It is a great "dark" effect and not hard to do.

Quizu
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
How much is the encyclopedia?
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Steve Anderson
View Profile
New user
Gun Barrel City
22 Posts

Profile of Steve Anderson
Ibm usa,
I don't know how much they are currently selling for or if they are even available. I purchased my set in the early eighties. I just did a quick google search and only found the First volume for sale and it was $75.
Good Luck

Quizu
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Head off dove trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL