The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Roughing spray or fluid question. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Heya guys,

I have never using roughing spray or fluid myself on playing cards...

I was curious about making some tricks using my business cards instead of playing cards. Will roughing fluid work on the good stock full color business cards or just the cheaper white cards with b+w printing?

Does uv coating or not matter on the cards? Whats the best roughing spray/fluid?
I figured some of you guys had to already make tricks with roughing fluid and I would appreciate your help...

THANKS GUYS!

Steven
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Testor's Dullcote works best, in my experience. Iwould think that business card stock would soak up too much of the fluid, unless you airbrushed it on.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Really I would think a card is a card but I guess all I can do is try it. I ordered some roughing spray, 3 kinds in fact including the testors you mentioned.

I will give it a try and post my results, but I will have to find some regular white business cards with black printing I think...

My own business cards are full color double sided, and with UV coating that I think would interfere with the roughing spray, but I will try those as well.

Steven
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
I have tried to roughen business cards before and have found the problem lies not in the roughness, but in the smoothness of the other sides. That is why plastic coated playing cards work so well with rough/smooth. The plastic coating is a slick surface that makes the roughed sides work easily. Certain stock used for business cards are inherently rough to begin with and becomes a hinderance in the rough/smooth principle.

Don't know if UV coating would create a slicker surface or not. I have seen some UV coatings that are actually quite rough. Perhaps there is something to coat the smooth sides with to make them smoother/slicker?

Sandy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Steven,

First thing to check is to see that your cards have the same surface coating on both sides. Some coated stocks are only that way on the front side.

There was an old impromptu rough smooth thing you could do with some business cards by arranging them face up, face down, face up, etc. Because of the different textures between front and back, some surfaces would cling, while the opposites would glide smoothly. We used to do this to make a stack of cards appear blank, and then "print" a card as needed.

On to what Amos said... coated stock will take the roughing spray better than non-coated. The surface is already sealed.

For what it's worth, I have also used a gloss lacquer spray (Testors Gloss Coat being one) on paper stock that is normally more rough. Spray ultra light coats to build up a surface, lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to knock off any burrs, and then rub those surfaces with fanning powder, again, very lightly. This worked rather well when I would use specially printed labels to make special cards. Because label stock placed face to face on itself is rougher than typical playing card surfaces, this was necessary to be able to do things like Elmsley counts without cards clinging together inappropriately.

All that being said, the particular cards you plan to use and the manner by which your finger operates the spray can, it stands to reason, your mileage may vary. Best plan... get some sprays, a stack of cards, and go experiment. It's a cheap education.

~michael

PS - How did your dove lev. turn out?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I use kyrlon artist's fixative spray. A lot will depend how porous the paper is. Also remember it is not only the rough but the smooth. Cleaning or waxing the smooth side can often repair a r/s deck.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Thanks guys I did order some different roughing sprays, and I got a friends business cards that are white regular business card stock non coated.

Mine are uv coated, I also got some blank faced decks and blank backed decks, I will certainly just experiment and learn by doing.

There is certainly no shortage of different kind of playing cards around here to mess around with. I'm sure I'll figure out how to do the intended trick the very best way.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Steven
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
The problem most people have with Rough/Smooth deck that they don't realise is that it is not the Rough side wearing out, but the smooth side getting sticky (mainly from your fingers!)

Many a time I've heard questions asked "Should I respray with roughing fluid to make my invisible deck work again" and ten times out of ten it's the smooth side getting sticky that is the problem.

Polish the smooth side and the cards work again.

With normal rough business cards I would have thought that the problem would be to get one side smooth enough not getting a rough side, rougher.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
freddyganz
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of freddyganz
Quote:
On 2007-04-15 23:35, Shrubsole wrote:

The problem most people have with Rough/Smooth deck that they don't realise is that it is not the Rough side wearing out, but the smooth side getting sticky (mainly from your fingers!)

Many a time I've heard questions asked "Should I respray with roughing fluid to make my invisible deck work again" and ten times out of ten it's the smooth side getting sticky that is the problem.

Polish the smooth side and the cards work again.

With normal rough business cards I would have thought that the problem would be to get one side smooth enough not getting a rough side, rougher.

How do you polish the smooth side of the cards?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
The roughing spray that most magic dealers carry is actually Testors Dull Cote.

You can get this is any arts and craft store that sells model cars. Michaels often has 40 and 50 percent off coupons, so you can get it really cheap.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Roughing spray or fluid question. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL