The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Egg bag and routines suggestion... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
I'll be looking into egg bags and routines in the near future. I will probably want to use the egg bag as sort of like a closeup/table hopping routine plus some occassional stage work (I suppose the occasional kids show as well). Given those situations, any recommendations on the best egg bag(s) and/or routine(s) that I should take a look at?
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
297 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
The best egg bag routine (for me) is the Ken Brooke routine - I bought mine (and the Silk Legacy Malini Egg Bag + perfect egg) from Lynetta at http://www.fabricmanipulation.com

Cliff
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Cliff G is right.. run don't walk to http://www.fabricmanipulation.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Dan Tong has a great table-hopping routine on Vol. 2 of his DVD set "Dan Tong...Finally". And I also highly recommend the Ken Brooke & Friends and Charlie Miller routines as well. As for the Legacy Malini Egg Bag from Lynetta Welch's Fabric Manipulation? THE best. Period.
drmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagic
WhoDeanie, here's Dan Tong's web site http://www.magicbypauline.com. Check out his DVD as mentioned above. His egg bags and egg bag routine are superb!
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
>Cliff G is right.. run don't walk to http://www.fabricmanipulation.com

Hi guys,

Yes, I understand this is probably one of the cadillacs of egg bags. (I have one I got as sort of a throw in for an order...its very cheap (see thru on the front)...so I have a general idea of how most of them work....although maybe not all.

What I am thinking....is that maybe one type of egg bag might be better for closeup and one might be better for stage? (the same with routines) Then again, some might say just use one bag so that you have the feel of it...

So I am sorta asking my question in multiple stages here.

1. What is a good all around egg bag?

2. Best bag for closeup or table hopping
2a. Best routine for closeup or table hopping

3. Best bag for stage
3a. Best routine for stage

4. Bag and routine for possible kids shows

***While I am familiar with the way at least the bag I have works, there may be some differences between the workings of certain bags may work that lend itself better for closeup or the stage....am I making sense with this? Thanks for input!
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but I think the Fabric Legacy bag is one of the worst made. It appears to have been made inside out and the egg they recommend will not work as it should. It should "float" inside the bag as needed. The egg they suggest, and sell, does not, it just stays suspended and the bag has to be shaken for it to move.

This is not a fluke. I ordered one from Lynetta, with the egg, because I wanted a non-black bag. It was not at all to my liking and I immediately sold it. I have now received two more in collections and they are both the same. The provided egg does not move and it appears to be made inside out, that is, the seams curve inward on the outside of the bag? Maybe this has to do with the subtlety of beginning with the bag inside out, but I've never seen any other bag made this way and it's very awkward.

In fact, I still have the two that came in the collections. If anyone wants one at half-price ($45.00,) email me and it's yours. Then you can decide for yourself. They are new in the package. Maybe you'll like it. But, I have to be honest, I don't. I have a Dan Tong bag and it is the one of choice for me. I should write him; I wonder if he makes a red one?
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Runawayjag,

Of course I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. You should have just returned the bag that you bought from me since I have a satisfaction guarantee on my products. As for the bag being wrong side out...the outside is the same as the inside. The seams are simply ironed the way they are and could easily be pressed the other way. I just assumed everyone knew that.

As for the eggs, it is normally recommended that a blown egg is used, but I do understand that some magicians prefer a heavier egg. Eggsactly eggs are good if one prefers an egg with a little weight to it.

I guess this is why there needs to be more than one egg bag on the market. One bag design isn't right for everyone. My egg bag was designed by Charlie Miller and Johnny Thompson, both of whom are considered top experts on the egg bag. I think it's the best design. I also try my best to make each one as perfect as I possibly can. But I guess even then it's not right for everyone.

Lynetta
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 11:24, Cliff G wrote:
The best egg bag routine (for me) is the Ken Brooke routine - I bought mine (and the Silk Legacy Malini Egg Bag + perfect egg) from Lynetta at http://www.fabricmanipulation.com

Cliff

A big DITTO ........
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
To WhoDeanie -- Danny Tong, as mentioned above on his DVD did the Malini bag table-hopping and Denny Haney uses the same type bag on stage.

I've used my Malini bags close-up, and in front of 30+ kids outdoors. In either case, having the volunteer/spectator feel the delicate egg produced (using a blown egg) gets a great reaction and gives the advantage IMHO to the Malini-style bag.

I don't believe this effect really is ill-suited to any venue. As to the other style bags -- I can't say as I haven't tried them, but the Mardo style bag looks like it could be equally effective in all venues.

I have always wanted to try Lynetta's Legacy bag, but I've got 2 Mikame Malini-style bags and a Danny Tong Malini-style bag. One day . . . anyone want 2 nice Mikame Malini-style bags? Then I can take runawayjag up on his generous offer.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I've got the Fabric Manipulation bag and the Dan Tong DVD's. Both worth every penny.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I too second the Malini Egg Bag. I bought mine, along with 6 blown eggs and the KEN BROOKE & FRIENDS and CHARLIE MILLER ROUTINE from Denny Haney. I know he's performed it on stage too, and I perform it in my restaurant work. I love it, and the reactions I get a priceless.

I highly recommend it regardless of the venue!

Best,
Steve
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
The main difference between any two Malini bags is the fabric. Charlie Miller gave me one in the early 60s that he had made because I "didn't know what a Malini bag was" and I still have it. Another Malini bag came my way in the '80s....exact same size, exact same construction, but the fabric was different. The "slide" of the egg was different due to the fabric change. The egg didn't act as well as the original Miller gift. I haven't been able to find the exact fabric of Charlie's bag, probably because it was discontinued or something, but I have seen and worked with Lynetta's bag and it comes the closest I've seen. If Charlie Miller designed Lynetta's bag, you aren't going to find a better Malini bag. As far as presentation goes, the Malini bag is suitable for any occasion, close up or stage. The beauty of Charlie's routine is that each move is slow and deliberate with no wasted motion. Practice, practice, practice and it will become a thing of beauty.
Success to all.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I have the Malini egg bag Fantasma egg bag & the Mardo Egg Bag from martin Lewis . The one I use is the mardo egg bag easy to use & you always know where the egg is. with the Malini bag I seem to have a hard time finding the egg . Senor Mardo bag get's my vote !
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
I didn't post my opinion to start a controversy. As I said, I'm sure I would get flak for it. It really was not to my liking and the others I have are quite the same (they have both sold now...thanks, everyone). It is my understanding that Lynetta also made the bags sold by Jeff Busby sometime ago? If I'm wrong, I apologize. But, it's strange because that is a bag I like and do, in fact use, and it is not made the same as the "Legacy" bag. Of course, the experts endorsed that one, too, so which endorsement really matters?

So, anyway, to each his own. I'm not here to debate an Egg Bag of all things, but just wanted to express my honest opinion of a prop and since I am in no way involved with the production or sale of the bag, I can do so completely unbiased. Spending close to $100 for an egg bag can mean a lot to many magicians, so I just wanted to be sure they consider such an investment carefully.

Ironically, the buyer of my first bag from Fabric also wrote me agreeing with my assessment. I sent him the bag and egg and, of course, the egg did not work in the bag, but he had been forewarned before purchasing. It would probably be a good idea to look into that and perhaps change the egg supplied.

In any case, I wish Lynetta and her customers the best success with her bags. But, for me, it is simply not the bag of choice.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use my own style but I have a Fab. Manip. bag I bought here at the Café used. Personally I disagree with runawayjag on this one. Her bag is made correctly. And it is certainly well-made. For me, an eggbag should lie flat when inside out and open up when inside-in. And you're right. It has to do with starting the routine with the bag inside-out. At least for me it does.

The "floating" is a different issue altogether. If the material is heavier the bag can handle a heavier egg. A very lightweight bag is very deceptive but requires a lighter egg to pull it off.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Egg bag and routines suggestion... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL