The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Need idea for "Christian Magic Words" for children's show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
I have a show coming up for a church event (United Methodist Church Open House) and the person who hired me asked if I could have a "Christian Message". Always eager to please, I said I would. I've read through a number of threads here and I am comfortable with the idea of doing my regular show without any Christian themed routines. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried having the kids yell out a magic word like: "hallelujah" or "Praise God"? Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping for something that would be fun and Christian.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I use what I believe came from a David Ginn book (can't pinpoint which one right now) and add to it something that I remember from a local children's TV show that I watched as a child in the 50's.

When I perform for kids (churches and other venues) I ask if any of them know the magic words. Someone usually responds with "Abracadabra." I then repeat, "Have a banana?" That's the Ginn line. It always gets a good laugh.

Then I tell them that the real magic words are "Please and Thank You." That's the TV show line. They may not be "Christian words" like "Hallelujah" or "Praise God," but they are definitely "Christian words." Personally, I think using "Hallelujah" or "Praise God" for "magic words" cheapens the words!

Later in the show I ask the kids to say the magic words, "Please and Thank You," to help with another trick or two. It's always worked for me and the parents in attendance appreciate it.

As far as the show goes that you are performing at, I suggest that you be sure that they understand you aren't going to be doing any tricks with a Christian theme. They could be a bit disappointed since they asked you to have a Christian message - unless, of course, you plan to share something apart from your effects.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I don't know what type of effects you're going to do, but I'm always surprised how Christian magicians can come up with a christian theme for a "regular" effect. I'm sure you can probably take what you have and come up with a way to praise God. I like the previous post about cheapening Hallelujah and Praise God. Please and thank you so good to me.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
In my experience I don't all ways think its a good idea to use "magic" words. I just have the kids clap or stomp on the floor instead.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
First off, if you're going to do a Christian show, you'd better first be a Christian and able to share your faith with someone without using magic. Duane Laflin says that not every trick you do during a gospel program has to have a spiritual message to it. Don't be afraid to do your most entertaining pieces just for the fun of it. Deliver the goods with one or two solid gospel illustrations or routines, and above all be a good example of what a Christian magician is:

Fun, Smart, and Committed to Jesus!

Here are my ideas for "safe" magic words to use in church:

"Voila!" ("There it is!")
"Garwalla!" (Used by the great Thurston, it's actually a Turkish phrase meaning, "Hey, Taximan!"
"Waka Waka Wow!" (from John Lindsey's poem "Love," 2004)
"Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo!" (It's been around a long time before Disney's Cinderella.)
"Flahboodeeflee!" - coined in 2004 by Marc Bissonnette
"Shazam!" - from ancient Egypt, made popular through Captain Marvel comic books.
"Wiggly Woggly!" = This is a favorite magic phrase of magician Phillip B. Jones, who explains that it gets some giggles from the audience. “I shout ‘wiggly,’ the kids shout ‘woggly.’”

Or how about a good old-fashioned clap of the hands to signal the magical moment?

Well, just think about it.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I just performed my new one night program called "Can you Believe" an evening of Illusion, Laughter and ministry last night. I mixed gospel message and regular effects to make an entertaining evening and minister. One man whom I greatly respect his opinion on such things said it was a good blend. If we're making them laugh, we're still releasing a biblical principal into their life..."Laughter doeth good like a medicine" We did have people accept Jesus Christ into their heart during the altar call...that's great results!

I use "purple puppy chow" for my magic word...
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
I am reluctant to use any words (no matter how silly), that are described as being "magic", even if they are not the traditional Abracadbra etc. I believe that there are a significant number of people who would take offence to doing "magic" in Church.

That being said, I agree with Carney's advice that each effect must have a "magic moment" when the effect supposedly happens. I may snap my fingers, wave my hand, have the kids clap their hands, have them count to three together...
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
Carrie Sue, love that wiggly woggly. My favourite word for my children's shows (outside of Church) is Oocha! (Achoo spelled backwards) because every time I sneeze backwards magic things happen.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
I realize this has been silent for awhile, but being new, it seems to be an interesting question. "Magic Words" implies that by saying them we cause things to happen. For this reason, I would think many Christian performances would probably try to avoid that.
However, the reason we have kids say it in a magic show is to get the whole audience involved, which is a good thing, since odds are they are not all going to get up on the stage and help you.
So what if we take the purpose...but change why we ask them to participate.
For example: You do an effect and it doesn't work. The thing doesn't restore, the item doesn't appear/disappear whatever. Say, "You know...when things don't go right in my life, I remember three words...and they are 'Jesus loves me.' When I say that...things don't seem so bad. I've got an idea...why doesn't everybody say them with me. 'JESUS LOVES ME!'...(effect happens)...Would you look at that...Knowing that changes everything...doesn't it?"
Now you've never implied that those are "magic words" just that believing it changes things. And you've gotten the audience involved. It can be repeated a few time...each time following it with "Knowing that changes everything."
That would be my suggestion.
><> J
Kif Anderson
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
kaleido-magic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of kaleido-magic
If you look through your bible, there were a lot of significant ways that produce effects. You can even incorporate them into a regular magic show and make it a more christian show.

To mind, you can have the kids raise their hands to remember the stretchning of hands of Moses as he parted the sea. You can give them small horns to blow like the Isreals around Jerico. I am sure a search of the bible may give inspiration and ideas appropriate to your performance or your message. Even something as simple as Samual's "Here I am" may be appropriate.

Thanks,
Brett Bensley
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You don't HAVE to use magic words. Actions can work the same way.
I have never had one person to take offense at church when I do magic.
It's all in how it's done.
Daniel Faith
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
If you are using the magic worlds to hide sounds from your tricks, just have the children count 1,2,3. Their voices will drowned out any sound.
Rick
m15d1r3ct10n
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of m15d1r3ct10n
In my personal opinion, and maybe this has to do with my apporach too magic. I think magic words just cheapen the trick. You watch TV ans never hear Copperfield, Burton, Angel, say abracadabra or hocus pocus, etc.. I think that was back in the day when magic was a very close social brotherhood. Way before the times you had magic stores, I'm talking about when people made their own tricks, props and gimmicks. But anyway, in my shows I don't announce what is going to happen otherwise I think it ruins the whole shock factor. I like to just do the trick for them, that way they are standing there looking at the end effect and are like "What?" and usually right before I reach the final effect I will usally snap my fingers, clap my hands, or just simply say "it's done". That is just me though. I feel it takes magic to a higher level of mystery that way.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-08-31 16:38, m15d1r3ct10n wrote:
In my personal opinion, and maybe this has to do with my apporach too magic. I think magic words just cheapen the trick. You watch TV ans never hear Copperfield, Burton, Angel, say abracadabra or hocus pocus, etc..

But these individuals are not children's entertainers (which is the audience the initial post mentioned) ... and that makes a big difference. Kids like to get involved with the "magic".

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
I can remember Mark Wilson using magic words during his long running magic show on TV.
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
Terry....I like your magic words "purple puppy chow". That is cute and funny! My grandma's favorite church magic word is "BINGO". ha!

Joseph Young
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
David McCall
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of David McCall
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 19:11, Cesar Munoz wrote:
I have a show coming up for a church event (United Methodist Church Open House) and the person who hired me asked if I could have a "Christian Message". Always eager to please, I said I would. I've read through a number of threads here and I am comfortable with the idea of doing my regular show without any Christian themed routines. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried having the kids yell out a magic word like: "hallelujah" or "Praise God"? Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping for something that would be fun and Christian.

I know this is a late answer, but if you want something that sounds "magicially serious" then perhaps looking into the Latin language might be a good idea. Of course, this would also be kind of cool if you happen to get a lot of shows for certain Catholic audiences...

If you want something for kids, you can't go wrong with silly sounding words, noises, or ideas.

I go with "Wama Wama." And if I want to "reverse" the magic, then I say it backwords.

There's a few magicians who use the words "please" and "thank you" although it's not directly a Christian related "magic word." Kids will probably know these as "the magic words" anyway.

Quote:
On 2007-04-21 07:46, Terry Owens wrote:
...I use "purple puppy chow" for my magic word...

So is that puppy chow that is purple, or is the chow only for purple puppies?

By the way, I love this one.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Joe I thought that BINGO was My grannies favorite word! (we Not secretly related are we?)
I tend not to use magic words at all but do have the magic moments throughout my show.
MIke Taggert
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I know this is a LONG running debate and the day has probably long passed. But I
Remember hearing that the word abracadabra actually comes from the Latin for father son and holy ghost. Father as in abba – not sure if the rest of it is accurate I will do a search and look in to it

I will go and look up the etymology of abracadabra now.

Dave
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I know this is a LONG running debate and the day has probably long passed. But I
Remember hearing that the word abracadabra actually comes from the Latin for father son and holy ghost. Father as in abba – not sure if the rest of it is accurate I will do a search and look in to it

I will go and look up the etymology of abracadabra now.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Need idea for "Christian Magic Words" for children's show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL