The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Black Book Test by Docc Hilford (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
QUESTION : Is it a BLANK address book where we can write the names OR is it already filled with the names?

Little Black Book Test by Docc Hilford

Book tests are as popular with mentalists as cut and restored rope tricks are with magicians. Finally, here is one that stands out from the rest.

Effect

The mentalist shows a little black book filled with nearly 100 different names and addresses of women. The mentalist gives it to a woman in the audience. She opens the book to any page and chooses one of the names on the pages. She shows it to a man and he also chooses a name from the open book.

The mentalist hands a sealed envelope to the woman to be explained later.

The mentalist starts with a single letter. He identifies a random letter and moves swiftly. Without fumbling or pumping, He correctly identifies the addresses, names, and phone numbers chosen by both parties! He even gives the zodiac signs.

Finally, The mentalist explains that he met with the same girl as chosen by the woman! In the envelope are three souvenirs from the previous night out, a cocktail napkin with lipstick print, a swizzle stick from a swanky night club and a matchbook cover. On the cover is written the same number as was selected by the woman!

A BONUS EFFECT

Later in the show, if the mentalist desires, he can know the zodiac sign of the woman who helped him. A simple, yet clever ploy allows for this information to be given without anyone knowing, all while the first effect is taking place.

The method based on two old principles, the first letter cue and specialty identifiers combined with a breakthrough system know as the grid means you can know everything without touching the book. It can be examined by anyone and there's never a force.

LITTLE BLACK BOOK TEST
Has these important features:

* Uses an ordinary address book.
* The book can be closely examined.
Small enough to be carried in your pocket.
* Large enough for a full stage show.
* Can be performed stand-up.
* Is equally effective close-up.
* Several participants can choose names at the same time.
* Many different revelations are possible.
* Never any forcing.
* Performer knows everything chosen.
* Performer never touches book.
* A sensational ending!
* No memorizing needed, yet...everything can easily be memorized.
* All names, addresses and phone numbers are different.
* Comes with an address book.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
BTW my Manhattanville and Whitechapel little black pawnshop books also come completely aged with blank pages that allow you to hand write in the entries.

You also do not need to ever look at the book to do the revelations and they can be examined by the spec.

Also they have both men and women in the entries.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Hi Roth!

Does that mean that I could do this book test in French with all names written by myself?

Quote:
On 2007-04-14 14:06, Roth wrote:
BTW my Manhattanville and Whitechapel little black pawnshop books also come completely aged with blank pages that allow you to hand write in the entries.

You also do not need to ever look at the book to do the revelations and they can be examined by the spec.

Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2007-04-14 17:19, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Hi Roth!

Does that mean that I could do this book test in French with all names written by myself?

Quote:
On 2007-04-14 14:06, Roth wrote:

Yes.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Anyone have a review on this? Sounds great... especially for strolling.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Best place to buy is Madhatter for $30.95 .

Hard to beat.
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
John,

I have a review on my website:
http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/Litt......est.html

-- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
tommy k
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of tommy k
If you plan on buying this book test plan on dealing with some frustrations. Specifically, there are certain things that are key to the functionality of this routine that are not fully explained. This oversight affects 22 entries in your little black book.

I don't mind that there are certain typos, this happens. What I do object to the fact that this cost $45 and has obviously not been sent to an editor or proofreader. This is the same price that you would pay for a high-quality hardbound book and yet it has not been sent to the same channels that a professional publisher would send it through.

It is apparent that you are paying for a system that I must admit is very well thought out. My frustration lies in the fact that once I entered everything into the address book, I noticed that there are certain areas that have not been explained in the manuscript. I was able to figure out most of these oversights with a little bit of time and frustration. There are three entries that just seemed to be incorrect and don't make any sense.

I guess I'm just offended I paid $45 for a staple-bound pamphlet that is obviously incomplete and has not been edited.

With all respect to Jheff (to whom I respect his reviews and opinions), these errors would only become noticed once you've filled out the book and tried to test the system. You would think for this price you would get something that's ready to perform, not something that's ready to test.

I'm just glad that these errors were discovered during rehearsal and not during a performance
westo
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of westo
I couldn't agree more with what Tommy said. Quite simply, if you get this, make up your own cr**. Do not use the book listings there are tons of errors that will mess up your performance. Also you will have to change the phone numbers to suit the UK. But.... after some time sorting it all out (including advice from Tommy, cheers mate!) I feel I have a great little book test!! I will use.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 02:26, tommy k wrote:
If you plan on buying this book test plan on dealing with some frustrations. Specifically, there are certain things that are key to the functionality of this routine that are not fully explained. This oversight affects 22 entries in your little black book.

I don't mind that there are certain typos, this happens. What I do object to the fact that this cost $45 and has obviously not been sent to an editor or proofreader. This is the same price that you would pay for a high-quality hardbound book and yet it has not been sent to the same channels that a professional publisher would send it through.

It is apparent that you are paying for a system that I must admit is very well thought out. My frustration lies in the fact that once I entered everything into the address book, I noticed that there are certain areas that have not been explained in the manuscript. I was able to figure out most of these oversights with a little bit of time and frustration. There are three entries that just seemed to be incorrect and don't make any sense.

I guess I'm just offended I paid $45 for a staple-bound pamphlet that is obviously incomplete and has not been edited.

With all respect to Jheff (to whom I respect his reviews and opinions), these errors would only become noticed once you've filled out the book and tried to test the system. You would think for this price you would get something that's ready to perform, not something that's ready to test.

I'm just glad that these errors were discovered during rehearsal and not during a performance

Interesting that this was not mentioned in Jheff's review. Unless he just read the pamphlet and not tested it. So much for reviews by other creators.

Thanks for the heads up Tommy & westo.
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Black Book Test by Docc Hilford (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL