The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves Playing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
I was reading through some old messages this morning.

Came across one from Bob Sanders, who puts a saucer of water in his bird cage.

So, without the gal knowing, I put one of her casserole dishes with water inside mine.

Boy, the dove sure did some acrobatic things in the water Smile

What's up with the lifting of one wing into the air until the opposite side of their body is under water?

And then they flip and do the other side.

Funny stuff!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Birds like to bathe. Mine likes me to spray her with a spray bottle. It aslo helps to soften the the casings on new feathers. (I don't know the technical name if there is one.)

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4986 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chris, the technical term is "softening the Casings" Smile

The lifting of one wing, I believe is a balancing thing. They dip one side of their body down into the water and raise the other wing to remain standing upright. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When I had all 31 of my birds in one aviary, I used to put a large dish, one that I got in a flower store to hold flower pots, in the middle of the cage. It was comical to watch the birds all fly down to get into the pool.

As Chris said, birds love to bathe and mine just couldn't get enough of the "pool"
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Every "show-biz" dove needs a beach! They do love it. It serves useful purposes too!

You'll find that they like to play in clean sand too. (I've even had them to lay eggs in the sand.)

It sounds like they have a good home.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
I agree. In the summer time they LOVe to be hosed down with water (more of a misty nozzle setting ofcourse)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves Playing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL