The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Capitals of Magic in each State? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I.B.M. Ring 362 just joined S.A.M. Assembly 174 in officially recognizing Rumford, Maine (birthplace and burial place of Dr. James William Elliott), as "Maine's Capital of Magic." We presented the town manager with a nice plaque in recognition of the honor at a public show in Rumford. This turned out to be a good gimmick that got a lot of publicity, with more to come when we hold a card contest there on April 29.

I was wondering whether anyone else has ever thought about Capitals of Magic in each state. I can think of some obvious ones:

Las Vegas - Nevada's Capital of Magic
Colon - Michigan's Capital of Magic
Hollywood - California's Capital of Magic

I think that all three cities named above can make a case for being America's Capital of Magic. Being in Maine, an essentially uninhabited state that doesn't make much news nationally, we only aspired to pick our state's capital of magic.

If you live in a state with not too many magic clubs, it might be possible for everyone to agree on a Captial of Magic for your state. If it's a small town like Rumford, they will really appreciate the attention and will give you great press.

Yours,

Paul
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Chicago- magic capital of Illinois.

Home of one of the oldest magic shops in the country (Magic Inc- 80 years old).

Chicago bar magic scene

3 magic shops in the city of Chicago (more in the suburbs)

Former home of Laurie Irelend, Harlen Tarbell, Jay Marshall, Frances Marshall, Dorny Dornfield, Heba Heba Al, and many more.
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-15 19:02, drwilson wrote:
I.B.M. Ring 362 just joined S.A.M. Assembly 174 in officially recognizing Rumford, Maine (birthplace and burial place of Dr. James William Elliott), as "Maine's Capital of Magic." We presented the town manager with a nice plaque in recognition of the honor at a public show in Rumford. This turned out to be a good gimmick that got a lot of publicity, with more to come when we hold a card contest there on April 29.

I was wondering whether anyone else has ever thought about Capitals of Magic in each state. I can think of some obvious ones:

Las Vegas - Nevada's Capital of Magic
Colon - Michigan's Capital of Magic
Hollywood - California's Capital of Magic

I think that all three cities named above can make a case for being America's Capital of Magic. Being in Maine, an essentially uninhabited state that doesn't make much news nationally, we only aspired to pick our state's capital of magic.

If you live in a state with not too many magic clubs, it might be possible for everyone to agree on a Captial of Magic for your state. If it's a small town like Rumford, they will really appreciate the attention and will give you great press.

Yours,

Paul
ahem... Colon, Michigan is known as "The Magic Capital of the World." Smile
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Well, sure, but there wouldn't be a different capital for Michigan, then, would there?

We are keeping things fairly small here. No one has claimed to be the Magic Capital of the Milky Way Galaxy yet, though.

Yours,

Paul
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Texas is so large we rotate our magic capital every year, depending on where TAOM is meeting. This year it is Corups Christi, though last year's capital with the SAM convention is trying to hold on to it's claim another year.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 10:04, drwilson wrote:
Well, sure, but there wouldn't be a different capital for Michigan, then, would there?

We are keeping things fairly small here. No one has claimed to be the Magic Capital of the Milky Way Galaxy yet, though.

Yours,

Paul
Marshall is a contender for the magic capital of Michigan, with the American Museum of Magic, though I am sure Colon would put up a fight if Marshall tried to make such a claim.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Marvello Wrote:
Quote:
ahem... Colon, Michigan is known as "The Magic Capital of the World." Smile

Pardon me but, I think you need to have your Colon checked! Smile
I believe The Magic Castle in Hollywood is the Magic Capital of the World. Smile
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Funny, I thought it was Las Vegas.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
Pardon me but, I think you need to have your Colon checked! Smile
I believe The Magic Castle in Hollywood is the Magic Capital of the World. Smile
Hey, I didn't make the claim - it's the Colon, Michigan Chamber of Commerce - thay have signs up to that effect as you enter town. Does Hollywood have a sign anywhere that says "Welcome to Hollywood, California - The Magic Capital of The World!"? I think Colon also has a higher percentage of Magicians and magic stores per capita than anywhere else.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Signs, schmines! Rumford, Maine, has a brass plaque from the two magic clubs in the state!

As you can see, the Hollywood - Las Vegas - Colon slugfest for world domination won't be settled easily. Chicago wins easy as the magic capital of Illinois. Texas has too many people fighting over it.

How about Ohio? Georgia? South Dakota? There are plenty of opportunities out there for magic clubs.

Yours,

Paul
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 01:49, Dave VanVranken wrote:

I too thought it was Las Vegas. With all of the shows, act, and the stars. You would think that Las Vegas is the place.

Anybody can make a sign, but can they produce?

My two cents,
SeanD13
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 09:32, SeanD13 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 01:49, Dave VanVranken wrote:

I too thought it was Las Vegas. With all of the shows, act, and the stars. You would think that Las Vegas is the place.

Anybody can make a sign, but can they produce?

My two cents,
SeanD13
Colon has done quite a bit more than make a sign - this Aug 1-4 will be the 70th Magic Get-Together in Colon. No other high school in the world has had the type of magic talent that has appeared on the Colon High School stage through the years.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Hey I thought it Myrtle Beach South Carolina!

Bairefoot
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I just did a google search and here are my results...

First I searched for "Magic Capital of" (with quotes) and the results it brought back were mainly referring to Colon, Michigan as "Magic Capital of the World." There were a couple references to "Kolkata is the magic capital of India" and "Egypt, The Magical Capital of the Ancient World," but mainly references to Colon.

Then I did a spot check of "Magic Capital of Alabama", etc., and the only state I checked that returned a result was Maine, due to the recent publicity that Dr. Wilson and friends created. Not even California or Nevada or Michigan brought back any results. Then I searched for "Nevada's Capital of Magic" and found no results - the same goes for "California's Capital of Magic." I think if you are going to refer to a place as being the capital of magic you have to go by historical reference, or create one, but you can't simply state "Chicago is the Magic Capital of Illinois," with not a single reference or plaque from a magic club to back it up. I think this is a great project for local rings - great idea Paul.
Abo Raum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Abo Raum
Anyone have a suggestion for magic capital of Maryland? Possibly Baltimore with all of the theatres and Denny and lees?
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Hey about Good to see you posting My vote for the capitol for MD would be columbia
Believe you then that I do strange things
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Rumford, Maine's Capital of Magic, is at it again. On November 29, 2008, they will create the World's Largest Letter to Santa.

Great, great fun! I'll be there.

Yours,

Paul
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I vote for Columbus, Ohio! Not only is it the capitol city of Ohio, but it's the birth & burial place of Howard Thurston! Can't beat that with a ten foot wand! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ring 35 in Birmingham, Alabama is lucky. Birmingham is already called The Magic City. The club is Magic City Magic Club. We meet the first Tuesday of each month in the Homewood Library at 7 PM. Visitors are welcomed!

Bob Sanders
President of Ring 35
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Capitals of Magic in each State? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL