The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Yamaha Stagepass 300 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Whats the largest venue anyone has used this PA system for? Checked out the 500, but maybe too much. Thinking of school auds, and banquet rooms, 300 enough. Thanks.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The rule of thumb is:

"Double the wattage for number of persons a system can handle." 500 watts = 1,000 persons

"Divide the audience number in half to get the wattage needed to handle that venue." 300 person audince needs at least 150 watt system.
Dennis Michael
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Biggest I have done with this is about 300 people in a gym and to be honest I thought I was pushing the envelope in sound quality. The acoustics are definately a factor as gymnasiums have notoriously bad acoustics. The lows started to fall out at the volume I needed and the highs started to get a bit tinny. Don't get me wrong, I thought it sounded really good but I just felt it was almost at it's quality limit. Music is a big part of my show and that is a big factor too. The volume was only a little better than halfway so the system was pushing it in that respect...just in sound quality. In a room with really good acoustics I could see doing up to 500 people as the better acoustics would allow a higher volume push. Overall I love the system, for it's price and size I was more than pleasantly surprised.

When I do venues bigger than this I will have to look into powered speakers. The good news is that Frank Starsinski informed me that I can hook powered speakers into the stagepas amp and up the output and still have full modular control. I haven't experimented with this yet so I don't know what the upper parameters are for output.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think what it does John is that it turns your StagePas into a mixer. So the power is based on just your Powered Speakers. Still saves you money since you don't have to buy a mixer. Just find the right output jacks for it. They are not the usual jacks.

I have JBL Eon 10 G2s for outdoor shows. They sound great.

Carvin makes some 15" speakers for even less money but they weight a ton and are, of course, even larger. A good bargain.

Michael Messing turned me on to the JBL and Carvin powered speakers. He helped me a lot.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Thanks Frank, Powered speakers is prob the way I'll go when I need to upgrade since no need for another mixer. I have heard those JBL's and they do sound great.
And sorry about the name mispelling, I have a buddy with that last name and it just rolled off.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The Yamaha Stagepass 500 is 52 lbs. Yes it is a beautiful system. It is the weight that needs consideration.

Yamaha Stage Pass 300 weighs 39.6 lbs. (40 lbs)
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Yamaha Stagepass 300 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL