The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Reserve" by Magic Makers, featuring Ben Salinas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
504 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Okay...I picked up "The Reserve" last Friday at my local dealer.
Not a bad collection of bill switches and paper money-related effects. Not bad at all. And Ben Salinas does a great job with the presentations and explanations.

Problems:
- First of all, Ben explains three different types of TTs, (hard plastic, vinyl and rubber); explaining that you can, with a little practice, perform the bill switches with the vinyl or rubber TTs. Ignore that claim and don't waste your time trying the standard switch with a rubbery TT. Stick to the classic Vernet or the Vernet Soft, (which isn't really "soft" at all, but has a tapered opening, a larger load area and no mold line in the plastic), for your switches. The friction caused by the other TTs will just trip you up, slow you down or stop your illusion altogether!

- There is a flaw in the DVD and apparently, I didn't get the only bad one in the bunch. Following the "Origami Bill" explanation, there is an instructional portion that teaches you how to make an origami elephant. On the DVD I got, the thing jumps forward to the next chapter/trick. On two of the 4 DVD players in my house, I can fast-forward through the end of the trick explanation and into the first several seconds of the origami fold explanation and catch most of the explanation. ...So it's there. But on two of the DVD players in the house, there isn't any fast-forwarding through that 'bad' spot at all. It either locks up the DVD player for a few seconds and then finally starts playing that next chapter or it skips right to it; fast-forward in effect or not.
When I called my local dealer to tell them about the flaw, they told me that they have a copy of the video at home and that the fold of the elephant isn't taught on the DVD. I explained that it was, in fact, taught. Come to find out, their copy does the same as mine, 52 minutes and 29 seconds into it! Makes me wonder was there a bad 'batch' of DVDs or do ALL of them have that flaw. Anyone else out there have that problem with this DVD? I'll be returning mine for a replacement; but I was just wondering if I should be prepared to be given another DVD with the same issue.

- Maybe I missed it; but Ben explains near the beginning that the switch goes smoother if the bills are pre-folded, (DUH!). He mentions that there's a trick or method that you can use to pre-fold a bill AFTER borrowing it from someone and prior to performing the switch. He mentions early on that he'll explain it a little later. Then, later in the DVD, he mentions to pre-fold the bill "like we learned earlier." The thing is, although various methods of folding the bill are taught, I either completely missed how to pre-fold a bill after borrowing it or it isn't on the disc. Now, admittedly, I may have missed that explanation. I watched the whole DVD from start to finish once and have gone back and watched a few other parts over again. But after the first viewing, I skipped through it again trying to find the promised explanation of post-borrowing pre-folding; but couldn't find it and don't remember hearing it. Does anyone who has this DVD know where that post-borrowing pre-folding part is?

And something I noticed that only magicians would notice was that Ben is wearing an elastic thread loop on his left wrist! He doesn't use it during the DVD; so it's just a case of a magician being prepared. No biggie...just something I noticed.
Okay...that's all I have right now. If you have a copy of this with the same flaw in the same place, please let me know. ...It'll soften the blow if the replacement I get has the same flaw. And by all means, if you know where abouts that explanation of how to justify a pre-fold to a spectator who has borrowed your bill is, please let me know so I can go back and take another look at it. Thanx!!
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1153 Posts

Profile of Salby
I Totally agree with everything you said with my copy of THE RESERVE also. I was going to also type in these flaws last month into this forum, but didn't know if I could word it right. You did a wonderful job of explaining all of them and again, TOTALLY agree with everything you noted... VERBATIM!!!

I felt, overall, it was a good DVD for Paper Money Magic CONTENT, although there is much controversy of the CREDIT of the effects themselves.

My brief REVIEW of this DVD can be found here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&11
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 01:10, Bendy wrote:
Not a bad collection of bill switches and paper money-related effects. Not bad at all. And Ben Salinas does a great job with the presentations and explanations.

That should probably read "Not a bad collection of other peoples bill switches and other peoples paper money-related effects." Hopefully this doesn't start a trend where we get The Greatest Hits DVD that borrows nearly every effect contained in the dvd without the permission of the actual creators. Sorry to hear that the dvd was defective, sounds like karma catching up with MM.

--Jim
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
504 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 10:21, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Quote:

That should probably read "Not a bad collection of other peoples bill switches and other peoples paper money-related effects."

--Jim

Absolutely true.
...And I didn't mention it and, more importantly, didn't mention precisely which tricks are disguised as other tricks here because I didn't want someone to buy this DVD strictly to get the other effects when they might purchase the actual effects from the ones who actually should be credited with them.

I didn't know the DVD had those other effects on it and I actually have a couple of those other effects on DVDs put out by, (as far as I know), the ones who came up with, or perfected, those effects. I bought it because I'm a bill switch enthusiast. Which is why I've ordered "SWITCH" by John Lovick. ...Just like I scarf up books and DVDs on TT effects even though there seemingly isn't much more that I could learn on that topic. But watching and reading handlings by other people doing something I have perfected sometimes sparks additional creativity in me or renews my enthusiasm for something I might have put on the back burner for a while or even forgotten about.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Bad mojo?
Cards never lie
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 10:21, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Quote:

That should probably read "Not a bad collection of other peoples bill switches and other peoples paper money-related effects." Hopefully this doesn't start a trend where we get The Greatest Hits DVD that borrows nearly every effect contained in the dvd without the permission of the actual creators. Sorry to hear that the dvd was defective, sounds like karma catching up with MM.

--Jim

Ditto
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
504 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Okay...I've been patient and nice for weeks now.
I'm recommending that no one purchase this DVD. I returned my defective DVD to my local dealer more than a month ago. I keep getting told that the replacement DVD should be on its way and should arrive any time now. ...For more than a month.
I was told last week that the ORIGINAL DVD that I returned is on its way back to me. Not a non-defective replacement, but the same, defective DVD. I spent money on the DVD and have been without it for more than a month...only to find out that Magic Makers is not replacing it with a non-defective DVD. No. They're sending me back the defective one and will provide me with a link to the portions that do not play on the DVD. Well, that's a fine how-do-you-do. They use poor manufacturing processes resulting in bad batches of DVDs and don't have the decency to replace them with working copies. They told my dealer that they're sending "something extra" for my trouble. Huh. It better be something a lot extra. I fear, however, that it'll be a TT or something similarly cheap or that I have plenty of already. Additionally, I live way out in the middle of next-near-to-nowhere and use my computer at home for very little; so I'm still one of the tens and tens of people in America that still have dial-up. Downloading or streaming video is not an option for me. So their link offer does me no good.

Some on this board have questioned the ethics behind "The Reserve" DVD, as it exposes some effects that others are currently or have recently marketed. I question their ethics, period. Customer Service certainly isn't part of their game. I don't want my money back, (though there's no chance of that, as that has thus far not been provided as an option by Magic Makers). I don't want "a little something extra." I don't want anything other than a non-defective DVD, replaced in a timely manner - perhaps with an apology, rather than excuses. Too late for the timely manner. And I've heard plenty of excuses. And apparently, I've just been through over a month without my DVD just to have the promise of its return in all its defective glory. ...Which, by the way, that promise was a week ago. I have yet to have received even my defective disc back.

Magic Makers - Here's a hint: If you're going to send my DEFECTIVE DVD back, put it in a Priority Mail envelope and drop it in the mail. It'll get to me in under 72 hours. ...NOT A MONTH!

I've heard that Magic Makers is more interested in making a buck from cheap products and knock-offs than they are about providing quality items to the magic community. Guess I got a first-hand baptism into that nonsense. If this is their idea of quality merchandise, respect for the art of magic or proper customer service, then I will learn from this lesson so that it won't happen again; and I'll do what I can to warn others off of Magic Makers products - particularly their DVDs.

My fellow Magi: If you have been considering purchasing "The Reserve" DVD...Don't. There was apparently a large batch of them with manufacturing defects. "Large" apparently means ALL of them, as they cannot replace the defective ones with working ones. Take my advice and pass this one up. If you want good material on the bill switch, then "reserve" the money you were planning on spending on "The Reserve" DVD and use it toward buying John Lovick's "SWITCH" book. You'll get headache-free quality information for your money. ...Defect free.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
And once again Rob "Stiff"s another customer.

Forrest
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
Wow , That's about all I can say.
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-05-22 10:51, FCpreacher wrote:
And once again Rob "Stiff"s another customer.

Forrest

First he "Robs" you than he "stiffs" you
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Ever thought of contacting the better business bureau?
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
504 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Okay...It was late. I was tired, cranky and wanting to be able to view the DVD I paid for, all bent out of shape because it has taken so long to get the DVD back.
I'd have deleted the last post, but I don't seem to have that option at the moment. So, after some time to think more clearly, here's what's fair:

1. I have a great local dealer. They love the art and care for their customers. They do not look at their customers as merely revenue, but as fellow performers, friends and in some cases, even family. All that has gone right in this deal has been due to my local dealer. Support your local dealers, kids. Especially if they're ethical. More on that shortly.

2. I advised not to buy this DVD. Perhaps that's a bit harsh. What has been stated by me and others that is good about the DVD still remains good. And Ben Salinas does a great job with the on-camera presentations and explanations.
I also understand that it isn't cost-effective to recall, re-record and/or replace every DVD that has gone out; especially since not all of them have the defects. As long as Magic Makers doesn't try to cover up the existing problems and provides means of getting the missing information to the customers who buy the DVD going forward, then I would consider that fair and honorable. Apparently, they have begun doing just that. They are asking dealers to check the DVDs that come in and they are going to make a link available for those who purchase the disc so that they may view the part of the DVD that the defect causes to be missed.

3. Here's where the ethics, (or perhaps lack thereof), of the local dealers and online dealers comes in. My local dealer, knowing I live out in the middle of nowhere and am without a high-speed internet connection, provided me with a recording of the portion that is viewable at the provided link. That's definitely going above and beyond on their part. Magic Makers should thank them for stepping in to fill the gaps that would otherwise be hard for Magic Makers to reach.
Now that the defect has been identified and the regional dealers are being notified, the individual sellers should step up and inform their customers that purchase the DVD that there may be a possibility of the disc being defective in one area and provide them with the link to the missing information upon purchase of the DVD.

4. So...If you were planning on purchasing this DVD, rather than hold fast to my suggestion not to, I would instead like to advise you to consider the good information that is on the DVD and take into consideration that, should you receive one of the defective discs, you will be missing an explanation on how to make an origami elephant and that you will have to obtain that information by another means outside of the DVD. If you can deal with that, then the DVD has good information that is presented well.

I can deal with that; so long as I have the information - which I now do. What I couldn't deal with was finding the defect in the first place and waiting so long to get any results. I'm not a patient man once money has been spent. When I pay for something, I want it. So I apologize for my previous rant, brought about my my impatience. Like I said, I was tired, cranky and quite put out by what I personally considered too long of a wait for results. As promised, a "little extra something" came with my returned DVD. It included a 9" red silk; which I needed and of which my local dealr had been out of recently. Other than that, I already own the other couple of small items; but I can appreciate the apologetic effort. I never wanted anything extra or my money back or anything like that; so I can hardly complain about anything extra they sent along. I just wanted the DVD I paid for.

And again, my local magic shop really stepped up on this one. None of my frustration was a result of anything they had or had not done. They kept me updated, (even when the updates were nothing more than another "it's coming" from Magic Makers), and did everything within their power and influence to make things right. I hope Magic Makers realizes what an asset they have in their corner with my local magic retailer, (and others like them). The continued success of "The Reserve" DVD will rest solely on how honest and ethical the retailers, (local or internet), are from this point, forward.

I think that about covers the matter in truth, fairness and from a less-tired perspective.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Bendy,

I certainly admire you for coming back on the Café and modifying your initial harse post. But, that said, and with all due respect, I think you had it right the first time. I don't understand why the customer should be the one who takes it in the shorts on this snafu.

Assuming the best in that a mistake was made in the production and no one knew about it or caught it until AFTER it was released into distribution, ..so what? Once the defect was discovered, the buyers deserve either their money back or a replacement disk that plays correctly. Period. End of story.

At the very least, the seller can be faulted for not testing out the disk (you know,..quality control) prior to releasing it to the public. Why should the public subsidize the seller's carelessness and/or negligence and/or "rush to market"? And, this is assuming that the disk was released in good faith and not knowing of the hidden flaws.

The money that the seller might lose (or not realize) by having to correct this error is his and his alone--and lost profits of the seller is really not relevant to the discussion as to what should be done to correct the error. Losing money correcting errors and mistakes is the price one pays for sloppy "rush it to market" decisions that later rear their ugly head and bite you in the a**. (Reminds me of my former boss's favorite saying: "If you're gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough.")

As an analogy to Magic Maker's proposed solution, can you even begin to imagine Stephen Minch or Richard Kaufman releasing a book that omitted three pages deep within the middle of the book and then, when the error was discovered, then either agreeing to post the missing pages on the Internet and/or to send the buyers the missing pages to haphazardly glue into the book...somehow. I can't begin to imagine such a solution. Richard and Stephen (and others of their ilk) pride themselves and their reputation too highly and they would immediately recall the defective books and either refund the buyer's money or would exchange the defective book for a corrected copy of same.

When you buy something, including something magic-related, you should be buying a complete correct item--and you have a right to expect as much. Can you imagine the re-sale value of this now-known defective item? Can you imagine the constant aggravation one has to go through every time he wishes to re-read or re-watch the defective item--and hope that the URL links containing the "fix" remain in existence ad infinitum. Not a practical or "stand-up" solution.

While I am not a big fan of Magic Makers, I think they get a bum rap on a number of things and issues. But, this is not one of those instances.

Come on, Rob, step up to the plate and do the right thing.

Just, IMHO.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
If anybody knows Mr. Stiff's address please PM me. I would like to contact him to offer a class on Six Sigma and maybe a little bit of ISO 9001-2000 (ofcourse for a small fee). Smile
To believe is Magic.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6995 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't care how well Ben teaches the stuff on the dvd, if some of the items are rip offs then this should not be endorsed.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
Just a quick note,
Bendy I WILL POST A BETTER LONGER POST LATER TONIGHT --BUT YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BE MAD at MM and if it is any consloidation-- They Screwed up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On "The man that Knows Erdnase" By Wesley James.THEY FORGOT OR SMOETHING HAPPENED tHEY RELEASED THE 7dvd sET WITH OUT THE .pdf FILE ON THE DVD ---AND AGAIN ""MORE EXCUSES"" Wesley Gives his view on Magic Makers in another post-Easy to SEARCH FOR. The set comes with a 200 page printed book that looks like the DVD Set on the cover But still The .pdf who knows! and now more excuses
I WILL PM YOU TONIGHT were moving or should I say Moved! i'LL fill you in later on the whole deal.
Thanks!
GOT TO GO TO WORK ---
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
While were on the magic maker topic , is it true that Steve Brooks endorses Rob Stiff and Magic Makers products?
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
295 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
I watch this DVD when it came into my families magic shop. It is all a rip off. I have talked to Rob about it but he does not care. So those are my thoughts.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Is this a case of the chickens coming home to roost? A fellow shows the "Bill Switch" to Randy Wakeman and Mike Kozlowski and ask they keep it to themselves. Kozlowski publishes it without permision

Here's the story from Mr. Wakeman: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......ost=2147

So....the bill switch as everyone used it was based on theft.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That story about Kozlowski is well known. Best bill switch I ever saw was a TT'less one done by a Mexican clown. He had never seen anyone else do it but his was beautiful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » "The Reserve" by Magic Makers, featuring Ben Salinas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL