The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music permission (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I wasn't sure where to ask this. Could anyone walk me through the process of obtaining rights to use copywrite music in a show? I know you can't tell me how much it'll be or anything like that. I'm just hoping to get an idea of the process of obtaining the rights. What limitations are commonly expressed. What I'll be likely to have to provide them. How to find the right person to talk to and so forth.

This is not for TV or anything. I'm looking to use it in stage shows.

Also, what is public domain and what isn't? Any music I'd use will probably be at least 15 years old because I haven't heard music since then. I know age doesn't always matter but I'm just curious about that too. What music can I legally use in my stage acts? Could be for public functions, magic conventions, etc...

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Jaxon!
Check out the sticky thread at the top of the FX forum.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&40
It doesn't have all the answers, but it's a darned good start!
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
Oliver - Twist
View Profile
Regular user
France
170 Posts

Profile of Oliver - Twist
Hi Jaxon,

There's a nice book called "Music and the magician - the essential guide" written by Gary Ouellet which gives all explanations about this. You can get it from the Camirand Academie of Magic in Canada : http://www.camirandmagic.com

As a magician who wants to use a song in his show, you will have to pay performance royalties (ASCAP and BMI in the USA), or the venue if contracted beforehands.

If you need to cut down this same song to fit and match the action on stage of your act in your magicshow, than you need to pay editing rights. For this you need to have the permission from the copyright owner of this song, because you're altering his artist's work. A lot of people forget about this last point, because obtaining this permission is impossible in practice. Due to this fact editing right is globaly ignored by magicians. If a problem results in the future, the person will deal with it at that time.

If you passing on television with your act and this music, you or the TV Channel or the TV producer need to pay sinchronization rights, which can be refuses by the songwriter. There's no fixed fee. It's subject of negotiation.

If you're looking for a less expensive version you've got the choice of :

- Buy Out Music : It's royalty-free music sold on CD.

- Production Music : Called aswell stock music or needledrop music. Usually they sound like songs that you've heard on a radio, but they're not the same song. This kind of music is often used by television. It's very hard to get some of this music, because you need to have a lot of time listening to their libraries.

- Public domaine music : If a song is older than 40 years and the rights haven't been selled to anybody else it belongs to the public domaine. That means, that generally all classical music pieces can be uses without the payment of royalty fees. This is a reason why so many actual music artists use loops of well known classical music pieces in their songs.

Voilà, I hope this might help you a little bit more. Good luck.
May all your days be magical

Oliver Twist
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Thanks a lot guys. I now have some sources to read up on it. And your advice already given is very helpful.

Thanks again.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Oliver may be right for songs in France, but yo should check out Magic Roadies link. Also you should contact the appropriate organizations in your area. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. You will get whacked with penalties. If you take information from a Café member and it's not the right info, be prepared to pay out your ears. Find out the real deal.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Note: If you contact the creators of the music and ask, they may give you written permission (depending on their contract obligations). A friend of mine just did this and got the OK to use some music for free in her show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music permission (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL