The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Cigarette Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I know, I know...most of you guys, especially those of you living in the US consider smoking a nasty habit and I do not disagree. but, it just happens to be something I love. I don't know how many of you have given it a shot but for my audiences it's something they really enjoy seeing. I have studied cigarette manipulation for quite some time now and all my acts include at least one cigarette routine. as beeing a comedy magician, I love Tom Mullica's stuff and most of the material I know came from his tapes.
I was just wondering who else does cigarette manipulation. how does it play on your audiences? what routines do you perform?
all the best

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
One of my favorites is 'Cigarama' as performed by Frank Garcia on "Stars of Magic" video. This is very similar to a Chanin routine found in one of the Tarbell volumes.

Torn and Restored is another.

I have a method for stealing an extra cig, or two, from an offered pack and sometimes do a vanish and reappearance, flurry type routine.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Hey there Jaz! long time no talk;)
I will look through tarbell and try to locate the routine you mentioned.
torn and restored is also one of my favourites but I never use it as a standalone effect. it always gets implemented in a short routine. and about the flurrys...i love them! they seem to work better for me than effects that require multiple cigarettes.
that steal of yours sounds interesting. if you are willing to share it, let me know because I am most definetly interested.
all the best

-Matt
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Something I just discovered is on John Roger's website.
He has pencils for manipulation.

http://www.woodencigars.com
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Thanks for the link mr. starsini. I cam across this website a while back.
my only problem is that I do not use cigars at all and I also perform with lit cigarettes so this kind of prop would be out of the question.
other than that, those are some NICE cigars. great work!

-Matt
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I just noticed the pencil section. using pencils is great. I used to cut down wooden pencils to the length of a cigarette with those. I wouldn't recommend it though because a pencil is wood. it lasts longer and under bigger pressure. a cigarette is much more fragile. for practice I double-roll my cigarettes so they last longer and hopefully don't break so I can have a well deserved smoke Smile

-Matt

p.s. has anyone tried Mullica's cigarette eating routine?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You can also use Crayons for the kids and add some color changes along the way.

BTW. The Jack Chanin is in Tarbell Vol.6 along with some other cig magic.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great suggestion with the crayons as a replacement.
found the routine in tarbell at last! I am currently working on several routines from Slydini. great stuff! I recommend it to any cigarette manipulator out there!

-Matt
chan316
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of chan316
Hello Matt

Tom Mullica's cigarette magic is superb. For another source of impromptu cig magic, David Stone has a nice DVD out called 'Quit Smoking'. It's a nice routine which includes cig up the nose (cocaine cigarette), a series of vanishes with the cigarette and lighter, which ends in everything disappearing. Theres also a torn and restored cig on there and as a bonus, an effect where you stick a straw through ur chin (morea straw).

I've recently started working on cigarette magic again, because I came up with a nice presentation for when smoking is band in public places here in the UK.

Chan
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Hey Chan, thanks a lot for the suggestions! the david stone routine sounds great.
I will look for the DVD.
I am always on the lookout for new material on cigarette manipulation.
sucks that smoking is banned in public areas over there. here it's still "running things" Smile that's good news for me since I use cigarette magic in my shows.
all the best

-Matt
illusionist987
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of illusionist987
I don't know of any specific routine but I do a lot of playing around with ciggarettes in bars. I usually do a basic vanish and reproduction I learned from one of tarbells books on sleight. I also do a routine that really gets peoples attention where I push the ciggarette up my nose and pull it out of my mouth using sleight of hand. In my experience, especially if you hang out at bars, ciggarette magic comes in handy. I would definitly like to learn more routines.
New School Magic
"Where YOU are the master of reality!"
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Then, you should get the Mullica series on cigarette magic.
Good luck!

-Matt
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
174 Posts

Profile of Pathian
I don't do any true cigarette manipulation, not being a smoker. But I do love using Ron Jaxon's Outsmokin'. It's a great mini routine, and its fairly logical for nonsmokers too. I think I read that most of the routine is possible using manipulation, but using the gimmick is really simple.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4070 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Hey Matt, the fake "puff" cigarettes that you can get at most magic or costume shops are great for doing cigarette manipulation. I believe they are a plastic tube with a paper cover. They have cotton & baby powder inside, so you can blow through them & it looks like smoke is coming out the end.

One of my favorite things to with them is to light up a cigarette & take a puff, as I'm exhaling, I switch for the fake one & pretend to take another puff. Then I very clearly put it into my jacket pocket & pat the pocket as I reproduce the cigarette in my other hand & finish smoking it & act like nothing happened.

Mike
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Hey Pathian, I also love Ron's Outsmokin'. I've been doing it since he put it on the market. Ron is also very experienced in cigarette magic in general.
I like your idea Ichazod. never seen those fake cigs you're talkin' about and I'm sure I can't get them here Smile but I've tried it out and with some filters left off from your real cigs and some cig paper you can get kinda the same thing. I will give your idea a try.
if you haven't already check out David Stone's cig routine on youtube. the cig up nose at the beginning always cracks me up:))

-Matt
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
190 Posts

Profile of mrdane
"The Great Danedini"
www.DaneDini.com
@DaneDini
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
352 Posts

Profile of TKE
I've read through Tarbell and Encyclopedia of Cig. Magic, but the best sources in my opinion:

Mullica tapes
David Stone's Quit Smoking DVD
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
If done properly, there is nothing more perplexing or simple than Tenyo's Zig-Zag Cigarette. One of the better methods is to take a whole cig, cut it into 3 pieces, and then let the prop restore it. This can be mind boggling.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Even though I personally do not now, nor will I ever, do cigarette magic, I will 2nd Mullica's work.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Sandwichical
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix
134 Posts

Profile of Sandwichical
I'm still a huge fan of a simple TT vanish. Maybe that and cigarette eating. Smile
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Cigarette Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL